Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Another thing about freezing - it's not that he doesn't think about the situation, it's quite the opposite. If he didn't have a thought in his head he'd have jumped for that ball, but the pause for thought was what did him. If he needs to work on anything it's to think a bit less and play by instinct. I know what freezing is like. It's why I'm a much better fielder in cricket when the ball flies hard at me, and why I'm a bit dodgy under the high ball
    This explains a lot.

What affects Leuth affects Sarr, what Leuth does, Sarr does and for the same reasons.

Leuth doesn't just like Sarr, he thinks he is Sarr.
    This explains a lot.

Irving isn't just obsessed with Leuth, he'd like to think he's as erudite as Leuth.

But he isn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sorry Leuth but people have been saying for weeks that he was looking like a disaster waiting to happen. All you had to offer was that he looked to get the ball moving from the back and nothing he had done lead to goals conceded.

After watching Saturday’s performance, were the majority right or were you?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    At this level, every player is a 'liability'. We don't have Virgil Van Dijk
    Loved him in Mary Poppins 
    I thought he was a Dick!
  • Options
    I like Sarr but he is error prone and does seem to switch off. I thought he'd eradicated a lot of his errors in L1 but this season he just doesn't look confident.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sorry Leuth but people have been saying for weeks that he was looking like a disaster waiting to happen. All you had to offer was that he looked to get the ball moving from the back and nothing he had done lead to goals conceded.

Millwall away isn’t a game I’d have played Sarr in. Clearly Leuth overrates him, but neither is he a complete liability who should never play for us again. He’s had good games this season and his passing out from the back has given us something our other CBs don’t have.

He’ll play again and he’ll have good games as he had before. I’d leave him on the bench for now though and return to a back four.
    This. Hes not become a bad player overnight in the same way that Pearce's error against Preston didn't make him a bad player. He has strengths which are different to the strengths of our other defenders. Some games will suit his style (Derby game he was key) others won't (Millwall was the obvious one). He shouldn't have played that game. We should take a horses for courses approach. Play Sarr in the games we that suit him and play Pearce in the games that suit him. 

We should have gone 442 with Sarr on the bench for Mill (I said that before the game). 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Millwall away isn’t a game I’d have played Sarr in. Clearly Leuth overrates him, but neither is he a complete liability who should never play for us again. He’s had good games this season and his passing out from the back has given us something our other CBs don’t have.

He’ll play again and he’ll have good games as he had before. I’d leave him on the bench for now though and return to a back four.
    Scoham, the voice of reason as ever
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think it's really important to listen to what opposition fans say about a performance.
    Millwall lad at work's first words were 'how crap is Sarr'

I was reminded of the time Wimbledon fans were cheering him at the Kingstonian ground when he eventually made successful pass on about the hour mark.
    And then we all cheered when he put it in their top corner from a free kick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naby Sarr has always looked like an accident waiting to happen. He seems to be a confidence player and that’s why he was out for so long on loan as no one, including himself had any confidence in him in the championship.

he is however still young and maybe Bowyer or someone can coach some aggression and confidence into him as when he is in his game, his size and passing do make him a good versatile option.

Id persevere with him for a while longer but he’ll need to put himself about a lot more to get a contract anything like what he’s reportedly on now. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think it's really important to listen to what opposition fans say about a performance.
    Millwall lad at work's first words were 'how crap is Sarr'

I was reminded of the time Wimbledon fans were cheering him at the Kingstonian ground when he eventually made successful pass on about the hour mark.
    And then we all cheered when he put it in their top corner from a free kick
    Different game, I was on the season before. Whole team was utter shite that day.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    doronron said:
    With Cardiff coming up soon who are another big side,how do we deal with free kicks and corners,answers on a post card please 
    Stop giving needless ones away, at least 4 we gave away including the goal were needless stupid decisions to make a challenge. 
    This is an important point we are in danger of missing as we all gang up on Sarr. But Sarr does need a bit of work - surely he can be trained to attack the ball more. I still think he warrants a place in the team as he tries to create. We bemoan his passes but that is a sign our players are not finding enough space. You will never solve these sorts of issues looking in one place. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I know he’s young, but he’s had 4 years on our books to hone his skills, he’ll be off in the summer for zero , I don’t think he’s shown us enough consistency in that time to warrant a new contract.

I guess not all players will make the step up into the championship, and for me at the moment he falls into that category, unless he can cut out daft errors and lapses in his concentration from his game, Nabys biggest enemy at times is himself.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Again, that is a really facile comment. He's played well until the last couple of games and shown he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brainfreeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard. There's so much to work with 
    Agree with this 100%
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Still I guess this is an opportunity for you all to sound wise and dismissive about a player you've always had reservations about, because he screwed up against Millwall. See also Tucudean, a player we'd sign in a second if he became available (and didn't have a heart defect, I didn't know that :/)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Again, that is a really facile comment. He's played well until the last couple of games and shown he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brainfreeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard. There's so much to work with 
    I would have thought you may have stopped the trolling bearing in mind the criticism you've had this week.
    But you obviously revel it.
  • Options
    When Naby has a good game he's easily a top championship defender. 

When he has bad games, he usually unleashes a mistake or two that are easily a lower league one quality defender, but most of his game is at least lower championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I would have thought you may have stopped the trolling bearing in mind the criticism you've had this week.
    Defending a player Bowyer himself has praised within the last few weeks is 'trolling' is it? 
  • Options
    I'm sure he's more of a rare exception but Simon Francis left us when he was 26. Hard to see Naby improving as much as Francis did, but it shows players can develop at different ages, and sometimes the right club, manager and style of play can get much more from a player.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Defending a player Bowyer himself has praised within the last few weeks is 'trolling' is it? 
    It's not your defence, it's more the actual wording of your defence.

The vast majority of us want him to do well and have been and will continue, to back him the length and breadth of the country.

But you say "he easily belongs at this level, and if he didn't have the odd brain freeze he'd be borderline Premiership standard." 

• Options
    And? 
  • Options
    Naby is another example of us missing Taylor - training with/against him helped his game - and confidence-  hugely.
  • Options

It's a doggy dog world out there and people will always look for escape goats.

Naby being a pacific example.

I'm on tender hooks to see how this one pans out.

Is this trolling on a meta-level? 
    Or is the reason @Big_Bad_World spends so much time on here rather than SpannerLife is that he's actually quite well-educated and knows these phrases are all wrong but still understandable. 

Onto Naby - I didn't think Millwall away was the right game for him. Has he made a mistake? Yes. Does that mean we should over-react and get rid as some have been saying? No. 

• Options

Bloody hate escape goats... Keep losing mine!!
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Is this trolling on a meta-level? 
    Or is the reason @Big_Bad_World spends so much time on here rather than SpannerLife is that he's actually quite well-educated and knows these phrases are all wrong but still understandable. 

Onto Naby - I didn't think Millwall away was the right game for him. Has he made a mistake? Yes. Does that mean we should over-react and get rid as some have been saying? No. 

The problem is that he has a history of being awful for us, bar some good games in league one from January this year