Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    RedChaser said:
    We definitely miss Bauer's aerial ability and Taylor to help out defending set pieces. Lockyer has been a very good signing and the loss of Bielik in midfield has been more than met by Gallagher. However we are not as strong in the air defensively and this needs addressing in the next transfer window imo.
    Pratley wins a lot of aerial balls in our box defending set pieces. He was off the pitch though. 
    Agreed on Pratley who is having a great season but he's 34 and isn't going to last 90 mins every week so we need a tall CB who attacks the ball to replace Bauer.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, as much as he might be a nice bloke etc...... just not up to this standard, opposition coaches target him when we have and don't have the ball. 

• Options
    I think you're all being rather nasty. I'd have him at our place.

Swap for Murray Wallace?
  • Options
    Naby has all the attributes to be a beast of a centre half. I think it was Taylor who said he needs to be more aggressive and he was for a while. 
  • Options
    I've said before that I'm a fan of Sarr. He offers something none of our other defenders can. But. Horses for courses.

Before the game I was saying this isn't the game for Naby. That was obvious and is on bows really.

He made mistakes today and was at fault for both goals. Second one unforgivable as simply not wanting it enough. Can you imagine Pearce or Jacko getting done like that? The rest of his game wasnt as bad as some are making out. We were completely static for every throw and he never had an option. 

There will still be plenty of games that will suit Naby and we will need him this season. Games like the derby game he really shows his worth. Bow needs to stick to the horses for courses approach. 
  • Options
    Clearly from the photo, right to left, there are 4 Charlton players marking 3 Millwall, then the goalscorer in front of Naby. One of those four is not picking up his man. You defend against the players behind you. 
  • Options
    Clearly from the photo, right to left, there are 4 Charlton players marking 3 Millwall, then the goalscorer in front of Naby. One of those four is not picking up his man. You defend against the players behind you. 
    And you get taught body shape from academy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What are you talking about? 

So if there's a player completely unmarked in front of you and no one behind you, you just stand there marking no one like Sarr did for the 1st goal?

Surely you pick up your man regardless of whether he's in front of you, behind you, or right next to you? 
  • Options
    Bowyer has worked a miracle making him even half useful for the last 10 months.  His default is to be haphazard of brain 
  • Options
    I think Naby's days at Charlton will be numbered - it just seems a question of time before fans turn on him. I hope he doesn't get abused but there seems a lot of anger towards him.

Ultimately it's just a game whatever happens.....
  • Options
    I think Naby's days at Charlton will be numbered - it just seems a question of time before fans turn on him. I hope he doesn't get abused but there seems a lot of anger towards him.

Ultimately it's just a game whatever happens.....
    Yes, and its a game we should have fucking won. We had the ascendency, Millwall werent in it when we scored, and Bowyer goes defensive, bringing Lapslie on for Leko, taking Pratley off. Bowyer is as much at fault as Sarr, but Sarr is fucking pony.
  • Options
    I think you're all being rather nasty. I'd have him at our place.

Swap for Murray Wallace?

Id swap him for that Hutchinson he looks a good defender
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Was in tears at the end, apparently. 
    Could do with us building up his confidence again, not destroying it.
     Very true, he could get that with a move to another club, fresh start and all that, I’ve never been convinced he’s mentally strong enough to consistently play well at a higher level, he’ll have a few good games, and then some absolute howlers when you wonder why he’s on the pitch.

That nut job at Accrington , Sykes who I loathe, could he do a job at this level, or is he too limited?
  • Options
     Very true, he could get that with a move to another club, fresh start and all that, I’ve never been convinced he’s mentally strong enough to consistently play well at a higher level, he’ll have a few good games, and then some absolute howlers when you wonder why he’s on the pitch.

That nut job at Accrington , Sykes who I loathe, could he do a job at this level, or is he too limited?
    he's the 'type' we need .. he's not limited for his age and position, just a little too hot headed and impetuous, bit of a nut job as you say .. won't be easy to find, ideally we'd get a player like Lockyer, but 6 inches taller ((:>)
  • Options

I think Naby's confidence is fragile and I really don't wish to see our fans turn on him - it's never pleasant to witness. I hate seeing players get abused.
  • Options
    Seriously we dont need Centre-Backs in January - We've got the ninth best defence in the entire League!!

All we need is players back from injury so we can stop playing 3-5-2 (so we play either Pearce or Sarr) a Left-Back and a Striker or two

Of course if players get sold or loans get recalled then I'd feel differently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019

I think Naby's confidence is fragile and I really don't wish to see our fans turn on him - it's never pleasant to witness. I hate seeing players get abused.
    This. The bloke shouldn’t be booed - particularly by his own fans. No player should (unless of course it’s a Tom Lawrence / Mason Bennet situation)
    Sarr was certainly at fault yesterday and he will know that. Bowyer needs to take responsibility here and take him out of the equation. 
    Even the most ardent Sarr fan must have their heart in their mouth more often than not. 
    We seem to have the Sarr debate a hell of a lot.... whilst we all want him to be that commanding ball playing centre back that we need,  he really isn’t up to it. His Charlton career has been a bit stop start.  He came in and did well at the back end of last season, but fell apart in the at the very end when it really mattered. I think you can get away with being a bit slap dash in League 1, but at Championship level you need to be switched on . The problem you have is it doesn’t matter if he has a good match for 89 mins - it’s always going to be the 1 min of madness that he has in his locker that is the thing that’s going to stand out.
    I reckon there is a player in there, but he probably needs to go somewhere else and start again to be able to bring that out. 

• Options
    Cost us the game today, Pearce cost us the game against Preston. But if we are going to pin it down to one player, we are letting other important issues pass.
     Think this is vitally important to remember.
  • Options
    He needs a break from the team, and we need a break from watching his mistakes. A solid player for us over the last 18months, but needs to be "rested" for a bit.
  • Options
    Sarr had a shocker yesterday, but some of the comments here yesterday were a bit OTT.

I certainly wouldn't write him off completely, but as a player he's always likely to make a massive (and obvious) howler every match. Some get punished, some don't.

To be fair Pearce gave away the penalty against Preston while Lockyer yesterday made an error over committing himself near the half way line which led to a very dangerous breakaway, mistakes do happen.

• Options
    He has looked a liability in the last few games and committed the unforgivable by not heading clear the spanners winner - even worse, he made the perfect bridge with his back for the scorer to get the height he needed.

Nabbs needs a few games on the sidelines.
  • Options
    Naby made a brilliant block in the 2nd half which otherwise would have resulted in them scoring. 
  • Options
    Naby made a brilliant block in the 2nd half which otherwise would have resulted in them scoring. 
    He does a lot of good things tbf.
    The problem with Naby is that even when he's playing well you just know a howler is round the corner. 
    I think it's a mental thing with him he just can't keep fully focused for 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    Well, he played well aside from the second goal (I still think the first was because he was overloaded, and there wasn't much he could do, it was a pinpoint cross and the guy ghosted in from where Pratley had been). Blocks, clearances, mostly found his man down the wing, an assist and even a backheel to keep the ball in at one point.

I've slept on it, and I don't know why he didn't jump for the winner. It's like finding out Santa doesn't exist, but worse. You were one minute away from a decent performance at the Den! WHY? I was seriously up for an hour thinking about it. Why?? Did he think that he was in the right space and the guy would have to foul him to win it? Because that's kind of true, but he could have eliminated the possibility of the ref not giving it by jumping. WHY

Still, he's shown an ability to learn and improve - Bowyer's words - and if we don't all boo him whenever we see him again (looking at you, entire North stand) then I'd hope he wouldn't make that particular mistake again. 

It ain't all over yet. Long season