Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    Comments much less heated and more reasonable today.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Comments much less heated and more reasonable today.
    You're telling me. Even Leuth has now admitted he was at fault for the second goal. Which is a start. I see hes still not having it about the first goal though!
  • Options

I would have been embarrassed to concede a goal in such a manner playing in the County League.

I have a lot of time for the way Sarr has developed over the last 18 months but he still struggles on reading game situations. He has all the physical and technical attributes necessary but not the mentality. He does not display the concentration or focus. It is why there is always a mistake in him.

This scenario just highlights where it will cost you. Your team has just worked their b*****ks to get themselves back in the game and you are in extra time but as a matter of personal pride there is no way you get dominated like that in your own penalty area - ever! He quite simply just switches off. He seems to struggle with any "in game" variance. Smith comes on as a substitute he fails to react and adapt to the new physicality.

That header is his to physically compete for if not win 100 times out of 100. 

It is where you earn your money as a professional.

It was a truly, truly horrible goal to concede.

I wish him well for the rest of the season but I suggest it is time to see whether Oshilaja, a utility defender with 90 plus games as a central defender in League 1 can step up.

Sarr has shown significant growth under Bowyer. If he is going to secure a career at this level he still has some growing to do. His contributions over the past 18 months have earned him the right to have more chances over the rest of this season. He, for now, needs to step out of the limelight, reset and go again.

He has a contract to earn at the end of this season.

Maybe need to have a second Username for these short posts... Gravepine49-Lite

Quite proud I was able to read one of your posts in one sitting :)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Well, he played well aside from the second goal (I still think the first was because he was overloaded, and there wasn't much he could do, it was a pinpoint cross and the guy ghosted in from where Pratley had been). Blocks, clearances, mostly found his man down the wing, an assist and even a backheel to keep the ball in at one point.

I've slept on it, and I don't know why he didn't jump for the winner. It's like finding out Santa doesn't exist, but worse. You were one minute away from a decent performance at the Den! WHY? I was seriously up for an hour thinking about it. Why?? Did he think that he was in the right space and the guy would have to foul him to win it? Because that's kind of true, but he could have eliminated the possibility of the ref not giving it by jumping. WHY

Still, he's shown an ability to learn and improve - Bowyer's words - and if we don't all boo him whenever we see him again (looking at you, entire North stand) then I'd hope he wouldn't make that particular mistake again. 

It ain't all over yet. Long season
    There's a photo earlier in the thread (page 8 or 9) and it clearly shows Pratley marking a man at the far post and then Sarr and there is no other millwall player near him apart from the guy with a free header who scored. How was he overloaded? Pratley clearly can't mark 2 of them so it's pretty obvious Sarr didn't pick up his man.
    There are 4 defenders in front of the goalscorer and three Millwall. We don't know what the defensive instructions were, but I suspect our extra man should have picked up Hutchinson. Bows effectively blamed Sarr for 2nd but not 1st. Why? 
  • Options
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Well, he played well aside from the second goal (I still think the first was because he was overloaded, and there wasn't much he could do, it was a pinpoint cross and the guy ghosted in from where Pratley had been). Blocks, clearances, mostly found his man down the wing, an assist and even a backheel to keep the ball in at one point.

I've slept on it, and I don't know why he didn't jump for the winner. It's like finding out Santa doesn't exist, but worse. You were one minute away from a decent performance at the Den! WHY? I was seriously up for an hour thinking about it. Why?? Did he think that he was in the right space and the guy would have to foul him to win it? Because that's kind of true, but he could have eliminated the possibility of the ref not giving it by jumping. WHY

Still, he's shown an ability to learn and improve - Bowyer's words - and if we don't all boo him whenever we see him again (looking at you, entire North stand) then I'd hope he wouldn't make that particular mistake again. 

It ain't all over yet. Long season
    Coz he's shit thats why. Just fuck off and give us a normal>/average left sided defender who is not going to be a fucking liabilty.
    I've had enough of Calamity Nabby - big fuck up awaiting around the corner in every fucking game.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    'boorish reactionary' - thats a new one.

How many errors is he allowed?
    Thats 2 from Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    If the 6'5" Sarr is rested, here's the height of defenders available to Bowyer when they are all fit;

Oshilaja 5'11"

Lockyer 5'10&3/4"

Pearce 6' 1"

Pratley 6' 1"

Purrington 5'10"

Solly 5'8"

Matthews 5'10"

Page 5'10"

And it does not auger well for the rest of the season when we come up against big CB's / CF's at set pieces and opposition managers / coaches will know this and see it as our underbelly. Whether we like it or not it will be Hobson's choice for Bowyer to have to still call upon the Nabster's services unless he is able to do something about it in January. Maybe Dillon will have to come for more high balls into the box because he seems to have favoured a punch away of late.

Edit; before anyone queries how tall Solly is he's definitely not 5'3" 😉.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    If the 6'5" Sarr is rested, here's the height of defenders available to Bowyer when they are all fit;

Oshilaja 5'11"

Lockyer 5'10&3/4"

Pearce 6' 1"

Pratley 6' 1"

Purrington 5'10"

Solly 5'8"

Matthews 5'10"

Page 5'10"

And it does not auger well for the rest of the season when we come up against big CB's / CF's at set pieces and opposition managers / coaches will know this and see it as our underbelly. Whether we like it or not it will be Hobson's choice for Bowyer to have to still call upon the Nabster's services unless he is able to do something about it in January. Maybe Dillon will have to come for more high balls into the box because he seems to have favoured a punch away of late.

Doesn’t matter that Sarr is 6’5” if he fails to jump for the ball.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Oshilaja 5'11"

Lockyer 5'10&3/4"

Pearce 6' 1"

Pratley 6' 1"

Purrington 5'10"

Solly 5'8"

Matthews 5'10"

Page 5'10"

Doesn’t matter that Sarr is 6’5” if he fails to jump for the ball.
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Thought Solly was 5ft 3? 😐
  • Options
    Was in tears at the end, apparently. 
    So was I.
  • Options

I would have been embarrassed to concede a goal in such a manner playing in the County League.

I have a lot of time for the way Sarr has developed over the last 18 months but he still struggles on reading game situations. He has all the physical and technical attributes necessary but not the mentality. He does not display the concentration or focus. It is why there is always a mistake in him.

This scenario just highlights where it will cost you. Your team has just worked their b*****ks to get themselves back in the game and you are in extra time but as a matter of personal pride there is no way you get dominated like that in your own penalty area - ever! He quite simply just switches off. He seems to struggle with any "in game" variance. Smith comes on as a substitute he fails to react and adapt to the new physicality.

That header is his to physically compete for if not win 100 times out of 100. 

It is where you earn your money as a professional.

It was a truly, truly horrible goal to concede.

I wish him well for the rest of the season but I suggest it is time to see whether Oshilaja, a utility defender with 90 plus games as a central defender in League 1 can step up.

Sarr has shown significant growth under Bowyer. If he is going to secure a career at this level he still has some growing to do. His contributions over the past 18 months have earned him the right to have more chances over the rest of this season. He, for now, needs to step out of the limelight, reset and go again.

He has a contract to earn at the end of this season.

Phew, it's always good to have confirmation that you're not going raving mad.
    Sometimes I doubt my own sanity, with all this "you mark the man behind you stuff".
    I find some people views utterly utterly baffling.
    How can you get everything so wrong so often ?

Thanks as always Grapevine.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RedChaser said:

Oshilaja 5'11"

Lockyer 5'10&3/4"

Pearce 6' 1"

Pratley 6' 1"

Purrington 5'10"

Solly 5'8"

Matthews 5'10"

Page 5'10"

Useful list, Red Chaser. May I suggest just one correction? Solly is 5' 3"

• Options
    Lockyer claimed in an interview soon after he arrived thatched was actually 6ft.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Lockyer claimed in an interview soon after he arrived thatched was actually 6ft.
    Fair enough, transfermarkt actually has him at 1.84m = 6'.0"  whilst Wiki had him at 1.8m = 5'11" must be before and after a haircut Canters 😉.
  • Options
    I imagine as a centre back that you are desperate to appear as tall as you can be, especially as he was rejected by Cardiff for being too short.

Indeed Lockyer has been an excellent replacement for Bauer, but is definitely weaker in the air
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before finally giving up on Sarr, how about trying him out in a position further forward?
  • Options
    To me both goals his like zonal defending the first one he loses the man as though his not sure who he is marking. the second one his stood at back post and smith has the run on him and jumps over top of him.
    Its about opinions but this referee had been giving fouls for pushes all game. He gave a foul on Pearce in the box which was very soft.so for consistency think the ref should be giving this a foul. One of them decisions like someone says with BFG at Wembley on another day it could be a foul.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Think it's really important to listen to what opposition fans say about a performance.
  • Options
    Despite his height, Sarr is not airily dominant.  Never has been, never will be.  You can teach a bloke how to jump but not teach that desire to always be first to the ball and he lacks that.

As for playing in midfield, maybe but i think his lack of mobility due to his size would cause him issues.

nice fella, but L1 quality on PL wages for 5.5 years whilst with us.
  • Options
    Agree them BBW The ref hasn’t got all the different views though only his and assistants and this is inconsistent to his decisions all game. As a referee you don’t want to potentially be accused of making the game changing decision that wins the match. He will have been asked that question after the game. No doubt.
  • Options
    A decent sports psychologist will sort Naby out. He needs to harness his inner anger, or something like that. Seriously. 
  • Options
    Another thing about freezing - it's not that he doesn't think about the situation, it's quite the opposite. If he didn't have a thought in his head he'd have jumped for that ball, but the pause for thought was what did him. If he needs to work on anything it's to think a bit less and play by instinct. I know what freezing is like. It's why I'm a much better fielder in cricket when the ball flies hard at me, and why I'm a bit dodgy under the high ball