Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Who is Naby Sarr similar to ?

David Luiz or John Stones, in they have moments of madness in defence but can also show great flair. 

I have been consistent in my views this season that Naby deserves his place in the Charlton Line up but that does mean you accept the ridiculous with the sublime.

Over 90+ minutes Sarr can't play in any other position. Naby would have been great in a Dutch total football system in the freedom it would give him but his starting position would still be CB. I believe Lee Bowyer know the unique skillset of Sarr at CB and the good, bad and ugly moments which will accrue from that.

• edited February 2020
    The great thing with Naby is that he adds a bit of passing flair that you don't need to supply from the midfield and allows you to play 3 centre halves. It is always about horses for courses and I have had so many arguments at lower levels I have managed when I feel I can see attributes and others don't. There are a few like minded people on here who really see the potential of the guy, some who are more in the middle and then those that don't rate him. If I was Bowyer, when I write my team sheet, the first name on it would be Phillips, followed by Taylor, then Cullen and then Sarr. 
  • A better Miguel Llerra, capable of the sublime but also the maddening. Big confidence player.
  • I hope we offer him a new contract, yes he might be a confidence player and have the Millwall moments when he’s not doing great but yesterday showed us there’s a brilliant player in there somewhere, with his passing abilities maybe he’d even be worth trying out as a defensive midfielder?
  • Leuth said:
    No pace? He had a one on one vs Lolley in the second half and matched him stride for stride 
    Genuinely hope Aesthetic is cool with your Naby love in. 

I think he’s good but the front you put out about him is slightly worrying/odd.
  • I must admit I do enjoy watching Naby play. I recognise he has the potential to make the odd howler but frankly that's no different from the others in defence and he does bring quite a few positives. Does look better in a 3 at the back. I say offer him another contract at the end of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Easy to forget he's got a champions league goal to his name - games like last night hint at why. Sign him up.
  • anyone would think he's the next Franco Baresi the way some of our fans go on about him. 

yeah, he's good. he has natural ability but his judgement and heading ability is questionable. i wouldn't have him as our last line of defence but as a defensive playmaker he looks the part.  i would sign him up for another season but on sensible wages. 
  • hermann said:
    Easy to forget he's got a champions league goal to his name - games like last night hint at why. Sign him up.
    So has Loic Nego.......
  • hermann said:
    So has Loic Nego.......
    And Tony Watt, best not start on World Cup Rezza
  • edited February 2020
    You make a good point. Naby had a good game, but could Pearce or Lockyer have done what he did last night? No way! When a player has that talent it has to be nutured and he needs to be played.
  • Leuth said:
    No pace? He had a one on one vs Lolley in the second half and matched him stride for stride 
    Genuinely hope Aesthetic is cool with your Naby love in. 

I think he’s good but the front you put out about him is slightly worrying/odd.
    TBF to Leuth, some guys have Tattoos of Players on their Arse, now that is weird !

• edited February 2020
    The ball was moving and he hit it on the run which made it all the more superb! :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Naby is getting better and better, albeit in a 2 steps forward, 1 step back, 2 steps forward kind of way.

The only thing that holds him back is his mindset on the park ...... never has the phrase, "He who hesitates is lost" apply to a footballer more than Naby. The moment he hasn't got a clear picture in his mind, he hesitates - and there's the split second he doesn't attack the ball and win the header; or allows the opponent to nip in and take the initiative.

But last night Naby was decisive. First to the ball. Positive in his decision making. And dominating.
    It's all there, he has it all. 

He just needs to have that decisiveness, drive and determination for 90 minutes each and every game.
    It's all in the mentality. And last night he showed what he's capable of with a decisive mind set.

Oggy says it all.
    Nothing else needs to be said really.
  • edited February 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    hermann said:
    So has Loic Nego.......
    And Tony Watt, best not start on World Cup Rezza
     💖Reza💖
  • Playing 3 CBs you need someone who can carry the ball out effectively, that player who can move into midfield and make progressive passes. If Bowyer wants to regularly play that system, then Sarr or someone similar is essential 
  • hermann said:
    So has Loic Nego.......
    Yeah fair point
  • It's not that Sarr is a terrible player, it's that if you want a player who has incredibly poor decision making and a high tendency to do stepovers to trick himself, let alone the opposition, he needs to be based higher up the field. 

There could be a place for him at Charlton, but not as a CB in my opinion.  
  • A better Miguel Llerra, capable of the sublime but also the maddening. Big confidence player.
    Absolutely. 
  • It's funny people pick up on what Naby doesn't do well in their eyes yet just accept Pearce and Lockyer's limitations because they meet traditional expectations of what they want a centre back to be. Being a "natural defender" is a nonsense phrase based off those traditional expectations set by previous generations.

As a sidenote: He has 3 goals and 5 assists so far and we've only scored 41 goals. He's been directly involved in 19% of our goals this season. The only players with higher contribution than him at that end is Taylor, Bonne, Gallagher and Leko. 

Don't agree with this, people have been very critical of Pearce. Lockyer less so but then he hasn't played as poorly. 
  • he used to be shite .. but at Forest he was alight
  • I have seen Lockyer and Pearce made numerous errors this season. Why Pick on Naby? They also have a tendency to pull the shirt of opposing players with the potential to give away a penalty or free kick in a dangerous position. Some of Naby's sliding tackles have the same potential but most of his tackling is clean.