Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    It’s totally fine, cricket is good, and it’s a decent product which works for free to air TV, which is one of the most important things for the ECB
  • Options
    I think I would honestly enjoy this much more if sky put it on their cricket channel with conventional graphics and alternative commentary. 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Terrible and completely unnecessary format - lots of bright colours and info (which people can work out themselves). Manufactured teams with no real substance or fanbase. A cynical take on sport for £££££

And what effect is this having on County sides and other competitions? Having just watched what was essentially Kent B taken apart by Durham B it seems big.

I don’t begrudge the players the money but to schedule this over the top of other formats and internationals is just madness and will impact and erode the game - Hope that it folds but judging by the crowds it won’t 

Oh and bring back the Sunday league! At least working people could attend - to say I felt young today says it all about who can actually attend midweek fixtures.

Can we have “the 15” in football ⚽️? Two 15 min half’s with a golden goal ? Possibly too long? Maybe “the ten”?
    I think your last point sums it up. Hope it's a 1 or at best 2 season gimmick & we can get back to the proper game.

Living on the other side of the pond I don't think people realize the value that tradition, history & lack of franchise-based business models bring to British sport.

This reeks of the crap we put up with over here in every form of professional sport.

• Options
    CHG said:
    Definitely in my top 4 versions of the game. Maybe 4th. 
    Better than Hong Kong 6s and Indoor? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CHG said:
    Definitely in my top 4 versions of the game. Maybe 4th. 
    Better than Hong Kong 6s and Indoor? 
    Lennie Bennett says yes. 
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    As someone who hasn’t watched cricket since it was taken off terrestrial TV, I’m really happy to just have some format of the game back for me to watch.

Can understand why the purists don’t like it but me and my 4 year old son are enjoying it and who knows, this could be his gateway into the sport? Can’t see the harm in it. 
    That's just because it's on TV though isn't it? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This 50 over nonsense will never catch on....

A crowd full of sunburnt Gammons - exactly what The Hundred is rightly there to crush. No sport worth its salt values or needs legacy fans. 
    What is a Gammon ?  Why not say what you mean..before  say anything I an not keen on this Hundred, especially as Phil Tufnell was trying to push it as wonderful without seeing it. 
    Probably me and you...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:
    As someone who hasn’t watched cricket since it was taken off terrestrial TV, I’m really happy to just have some format of the game back for me to watch.

Can understand why the purists don’t like it but me and my 4 year old son are enjoying it and who knows, this could be his gateway into the sport? Can’t see the harm in it. 
    How many children, in reality, do you think in the modern world don’t get their first experience of watching professional sport from the TV?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saulc23 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:

How many children, in reality, do you think in the modern world don’t get their first experience of watching professional sport from the TV?
    My 7 year old liked it too, wants to go to a game at the Oval. He's shown absolutely no interest in a T20 game at Canterbury, even when he's seen the games on Sky
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:

Sorry I ment that's why your enjoying it, because it's on terrestrial TV and its cricket?

Nothing specific to the teams or the format. 
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:

I think the point being made is that if T20 was on TV it'd be the same.
  • Options
    Player cams are decent.
    Been done before in T20 along with talking to a player during a game. 
  • Options
    I just don't buy that the county game was a way to get people interested, and the ECB looked at Australia and saw that city franchise teams over the summer holidays was the way to go
  • Options
    Brave to put in tom "jade dernbach" Curran... Got a wicket though
  • Options
    Billings getting his form back for the T20 blast QF
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I just don't buy that the county game was a way to get people interested, and the ECB looked at Australia and saw that city franchise teams over the summer holidays was the way to go
    I get that point.  If that was what had happened but that's not what has happened.

Also Australia is very, very different geographically.  How many Sheffield Sheild teams are there and how many Big Bash teams are there? 

What City is "The Oval" or the "The North" or "Wales"? 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    I get that point.  If that was what had happened but that's not what has happened.

Also Australia is very, very different geographically.  How many Sheffield Sheild teams are there and how many Big Bash teams are there? 

That's exactly what they've done, could they have named both London teams as ‘london’ then yeah maybe. But the whole thing is wrapped up in the summer holidays, which is a darn sight better then the blast which just goes on and on with loads of dead games, the teams have a city base, but we don't have state capitals/identies like Australia, so you adapt to the market. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Saulc23 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:

My 7 year old liked it too, wants to go to a game at the Oval. He's shown absolutely no interest in a T20 game at Canterbury, even when he's seen the games on Sky
    Yeah but what about this format makes it more enjoyable for your 7 year old ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everything now seems to be set up to accommodate a short attention span - the sport seems almost an afterthought. Do we want sport or inane celebrities demonstrating their lack of knowledge?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Rothko said:
    Saulc23 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:

Simplicity, 100 balls hit as many runs as possible, overs are a concept for another day 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Watched it tonight. Not sure why we need another format. It was a bit Meh . 
    It’s too close to 20/20 in my opinion . I’ll continue to watch the men’s games when I can  , it might grow on me. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Rothko said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Rothko said:
    Saulc23 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Saulc23 said:

Simplicity, 100 balls hit as many runs as possible, overs are a concept for another day 
    So not much different from 120 balls hit as many runs as possible 
    I'm not sure how simple it needs to be made. 
  • Options
    1 ball each team….
  • Options
    Toss a coin to see who wins 
  • Options
    1 ball each team….
    Perhaps get rid of the cricket entirely as it's a bit complicated. Just leave the fireworks, YouTube stars and music.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

That's exactly what they've done, could they have named both London teams as ‘london’ then yeah maybe. But the whole thing is wrapped up in the summer holidays, which is a darn sight better then the blast which just goes on and on with loads of dead games, the teams have a city base, but we don't have state capitals/identies like Australia, so you adapt to the market. 
    But that isn't what they have done is it.  So stop saying they have. Test grounds does not equal cities.

It being in the summer holidays is very good.  But sod all to do with the format.