Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    That was a very entertaining back and forth between Amir and the Birmingham bats. 
  • Options
    Seems like a decent atmosphere there. I’m guessing Friday night helps.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Been watching County Cricket for 50 year, so obviously an old git. I enjoy T20 cricket and the cricket in this competition is similar, just a bit gimmicky at times, but you soon get used to that. I watch the Big Bash and IPL without having any allegiance to a team, and forget who plays for who from season to season. This will the same. Crawley for example is a Kent player turning out for a team in blue, but might be playing for another team next year. That's franchise cricket. So you can't take it too seriously.

The one thing that's making me laugh, is that this is a new novelty competition designed to attract families and kids. But the fancy dress muppets, singing "Don't take me home" have turned up. It will be interesting to see if they fade away through lack of similar numbers, (cos it's boring innit) or their numbers increase, and the families stop going, because of the muppets getting pissed and standing up in front of their kids. 
    It's Edgbaston on a Friday night in August, you're going to get the "out with the lads and workmates" groups

Indeed it's these people which fill the grounds for T20 matches and spend lots of money on drink

But not all the ground is like that, there will be family areas and no drinking areas as well
  • Options
    Will someone please chin KP?
  • Options
    Tickets for Sunday with the family 
  • Options
    Because this is now very clearly cricket related…

Millennials (Gen Y) = ages 40 to 24

“Zoomers” (Gen Z) = ages 24 to … 11 or 6 (depends on when the generation ended in 2010 or 2015)

Gen Alpha = ages 10 or 5 downwards
    As one of the the youngest members of generation x, I've got two words for you....... 
  • Options
    I wonder how many will continue to enjoy the Hundred when , following their first 2 games with their teams, those named in the Test squad to play India, report to the England training camp on July 31st....

So, no Burns & Sam Curran for our Surrey fans or Stokes & Wood for Durham supporters. 

During August, the Tests will compete with the One Day county games AND the Hundred for attendees. 

And that month will also see long awaited holidays taking place for those with school age children.

Surely there will be half empty stadiums with not enough cricket fans to go round ? 
  • Options
    What is going to be interesting initially is how many teams batting first will win. One thing that could happen is that there is less scope to slow a chasing team down due to wickets.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Been watching County Cricket for 50 year, so obviously an old git. I enjoy T20 cricket and the cricket in this competition is similar, just a bit gimmicky at times, but you soon get used to that. I watch the Big Bash and IPL without having any allegiance to a team, and forget who plays for who from season to season. This will the same. Crawley for example is a Kent player turning out for a team in blue, but might be playing for another team next year. That's franchise cricket. So you can't take it too seriously.

The one thing that's making me laugh, is that this is a new novelty competition designed to attract families and kids. But the fancy dress muppets, singing "Don't take me home" have turned up. It will be interesting to see if they fade away through lack of similar numbers, (cos it's boring innit) or their numbers increase, and the families stop going, because of the muppets getting pissed and standing up in front of their kids. 
    This was exactly my experience and thoughts at the oval on Thursday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watching my first game properly. I find the village fete atmosphere a bit annoying. I find it very hard to take it seriously. 
  • Options
    Good wicket there for Skips. Pom Bears will be disappointed. 
  • Options
    interesting the number of southpaw batters and bowlers
  • Options
    Boring run chase at the moment, with Malan pushing it around easily for singles and 2s.
  • Options
    The Chargers are having a right go here at chasing this down. 
  • Options
    Great win for the Fire 
  • Options
    That was a great match.
    Well done Tân Cymru 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 
  • Options
    It does seem to be taking off though. I am enjoying the games I have seen.
  • Options
    But do you not enjoy the T20 ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some great games today in The Royal London one day cup.
    Not that I can watch one though as Sky is showing the 100 all day.
    Have to find something else to do.
  • Options
    YouTube will have live coverage of The Royal London one day cup 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can you not do both? 
  • Options
    Having double headers today (women's and men's) makes sense on a Sunday, whereas it's less beneficial on a workday

I miss the Sunday League, as those matches were the perfect length for a lazy Sunday afternoon at the cricket. Start at 1 (so a relaxed morning) and finish by 6:30/7. While the T20 format is great for evening matches, it feels too short for Sunday
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can you not do both? 
    I just don’t see the need for both formats

they are too similar 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can you not do both? 
    Yes, but there is absolutely no need for the hundred when we have 20/20.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Can you not do both? 
    I just don’t see the need for both formats

they are too similar 

The format isn't that similar. There are a lot of other rules beyond the five ball over.
    I might be wrong, but i get the feeling your mind was already made up.

I've enjoyed what i have seen. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    That's all I said. I have enjoyed what I have seen. You either enjoy it or you don't. If I enjoy it I will watch it and yes, I enjoy 20/20 too as well as one day and test match cricket. I do think it shows what a great game cricket is ultimately. 

I would say this format might be a good shout for being an Olympic event. If they are including three on three basketball FFS! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I love cricket so watching the 100 is just another game. However my gripe is that it's to similar to t20 for me and franchised teams. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    I love cricket so watching the 100 is just another game. However my grope is that it's to similar to t20 for me and franchised teams. 
    Why bring sex into it!