Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I’ve just realised that all four “northern” teams from this year’s T20 blast quarter finals are sharing their ground with a Hundred franchise…

Lancs = Manchester Originals
    Yorkshire = Northern Superchargers
    Notts = Trent Rockets
    Birmingham = Birmingham Phoenix

Meanwhile from the south group you’ve got Hampshire = Southern Brave while Kent, Sussex and Somerset all miss out in favour of two London franchise and Cardiff.
  • Options
    I was thinking that maybe the best way would have been to have a 2 phase Blast. Group matches played amongst the 18 counties, with the best 8 qualifying for the "Big Blast" competition - a tight 2 or 3 week format -  which can have coverage shared with the BBC and all the ECB hype. And maybe the chance for the 8 successful counties to "bid for" 2 players from the remaining counties or a list of overseas stars who agree to come over for the 3 weeks, but won't know which teams they'll play for.

That way you still have an elite 8 team competition, but it's democratic, and if Leics and Sussex qualify, while Yorkshire and Notts don't, well so be it.

I like this format suggestion too. 

No reason why we couldn’t have had an eight team league for 2021 of Kent, Somerset, Sussex, Hampshire, Notts, Yorkshire, Lancashire and Birmingham.

Each of the eight teams get to “loan” a full England international for a few weeks and also have a separate pool of 20 odd international stars - each team gets two more players from that pool. 

Each year the loans and the pool is reset so the ECB can put together a “draft day” where first picks go to the teams with the best group stage record (to reward better performance).

Think that would make for a very fun league while still incorporating the flashier elements of IPL/Big Bash/Hundred style franchise cricket.
    This is interesting an interesting idea , the BBL is going to an overseas draft next year too 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    So 16 groups games per county before you get to another group of 8, then finals and semi finals.

The counties will love it as they keep playing meh games to ok crowds 
  • Options
    It's amazing, espically on twitter, the cross over of people that are so pro the hundred and were anti the super league.

Of course we need to preserve the structure and need the likes of Burnley in the premier league but Kent, Somerset and Derbyshire well they can all fox trot Oscar because no one carers about them! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's amazing, espically on twitter, the cross over of people that are so pro the hundred and were anti the super league.

Of course we need to preserve the structure and need the likes of Burnley in the premier league but Kent, Somerset and Derbyshire well they can all fox trot Oscar because no one carers about them! 
    Kent, Somerset and Derbyshire will make millions of pounds out of The Hundred in the same way that Burnley wouldn't have, from the Super League. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Kent, Somerset and Derbyshire will make millions of pounds out of The Hundred in the same way that Burnley wouldn't have, from the Super League. 

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

How/why? Currently losing on tickets sales for the 1 day cup?

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You are joking, you think there losing £1.3m on RLC tickets? m'kay
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

As I understand it, counties will receive £1.3m a year from the ECB as a direct compensation linked to The Hundred. 

Kent's last full-year income was a £4.77m on which they showed a deficit of over £217k. So, in those terms, The Hundred may well be regarded as the single source of income that prevents Kent CCC (and perhaps others) from slipping into significant debt. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You are joking, you think there losing £1.3m on RLC tickets? m'kay
    Where did I say they were losing £1.3m? I asked how they will make millions from the Hundred and commented they were losing revenue on the 1 day competition but didn't quote any amounts
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

As I understand it, counties will receive £1.3m a year from the ECB as a direct compensation linked to The Hundred. 

Kent's last full-year income was a £4.77m on which they showed a deficit of over £217k. So, in those terms, The Hundred may well be regarded as the single source of income that prevents Kent CCC (and perhaps others) from slipping into significant debt. 
    I wasn't aware of this but await others' views on this. Why are they having to give away so many comps for the Hundred? As they are, maybe they won't make as much on ticket sales as predicted?

I guess the tv revenue is a key component - one of the only things I see as good about the Hundred is it is on terrestrial tv and it might attract a few newcomers. But I think the attendances are higher than they would be had it not been for covid restrictions depriving us of attending cricket/reduced attendances at games post lockdown
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So my bestie was supposed to be at Sophia Gardens today to watch the Hundred.
    She had her tickets cancelled end of last week 🤷‍♀️

The website showing sold out.

Am watching it now & even if you take Covid restrictions, it looks blooming empty 🤔
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

£1.2 billion broadcasting contract and that's without the other sponsors' contributions. Why didn't the ECB improve the Blast and then negotiate such a lucrative contract on behalf of the Counties? Because more of that money would have to go to the non Test venue Counties perhaps? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I wasn't aware of this but await others' views on this. Why are they having to give away so many comps for the Hundred? As they are, maybe they won't make as much on ticket sales as predicted?

I guess the tv revenue is a key component - one of the only things I see as good about the Hundred is it is on terrestrial tv and it might attract a few newcomers. But I think the attendances are higher than they would be had it not been for covid restrictions depriving us of attending cricket/reduced attendances at games post lockdown
    The comps thing is a bit of a red herring, part of the ticketing strategy was to give tickets to local youth groups and those involved in kids cricket to come along. 

Am watching it now & even if you take Covid restrictions, it looks blooming empty 🤔
    Judge the crowd at 6 when the men's game starts 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Comps are promotional. The idea being they'll result in more paying spectators in future. 

The TV revenue is one stream. Lucrative sponsorships from KP, Vitality, Masuri and others, over new, multi-season deals. 

I can't answer your suggestion that the crowds are higher because there are Covid restrictions, because I don't understand it. 

I guess you don't want to like it, and that's fair enough. No-one is forced to like it. And there are other formats for fussy fans. The thing is, it's started, it's started well, it will bring in new fans as well as significant extra revenue and it is very likely to result in more people joining the pathway into becoming cricketers. All of these are good fit the game, in my view. 
  • Options

We wanted to go but as you said the website shows sold out. Our Covid rules haven’t relaxed that much. We come out of lockdown on August 7. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

£1.2 billion broadcasting contract and that's without the other sponsors' contributions. Why didn't the ECB improve the Blast and then negotiate such a lucrative contract on behalf of the Counties? Because more of that money would have to go to the non Test venue Counties perhaps? 
    £40m a year of that is related to the Hundred, that's the value to Broadcasters, they weren't interested in paying for more county cricket 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Comps are promotional. The idea being they'll result in more paying spectators in future. 

The TV revenue is one stream. Lucrative sponsorships from KP, Vitality, Masuri and others, over new, multi-season deals. 

I can't answer your suggestion that the crowds are higher because there are Covid restrictions, because I don't understand it. 

I guess you don't want to like it, and that's fair enough. No-one is forced to like it. And there are other formats for fussy fans. The thing is, it's started, it's started well, it will bring in new fans as well as significant extra revenue and it is very likely to result in more people joining the pathway into becoming cricketers. All of these are good fit the game, in my view. 
    What precisely in the Hundred will inspire kids to play cricket that is so different from the Blast - apart from it being on free to watch TV?

And having seen the Hundred on TV, how and where do youngsters learn and play cricket this week, next week and the week after through to the end of the summer?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

The comps thing is a bit of a red herring, part of the ticketing strategy was to give tickets to local youth groups and those involved in kids cricket to come along. 

A lot of comps to sales ratio - one game at the Oval was over 6,000 comps to 2,500 sales
  • Options
    Rothko said:

A lot of comps to sales ratio - one game at the Oval was over 6,000 comps to 2,500 sales
    The opening women game you mean, none of the doubleheaders have had that ratio 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Because of PREVIOUS covid restrictions, people haven't been able to go to live sport for over a year. Even recent games since lockdown have been so restricted. I know people who wouldn't have bothered but for not being to live sport for so long plus the recent good weather
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

The opening women game you mean, none of the doubleheaders have had that ratio

Was what the Oval quoted to a colleague re numbers for a game.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What precisely in the Hundred will inspire kids to play cricket that is so different from the Blast - apart from it being on free to watch TV?

And having seen the Hundred on TV, how and where do youngsters learn and play cricket this week, next week and the week after through to the end of the summer?
    Apart from the blanket newsmedia coverage, the free-to-air TV, the several hours a day coverage of live and highlights on sky, the main reason some kids might take it up will be that it's the first chance many kids will have had to see and be inspired by some of the world's best cricketers, live. 

As had been pointed out, there have been thousands of free tickets given to kids. Significant numbers, over and above those that might be given free to children to watch county cricket. 

I would imagine that the first place parents of newly-inspired kids would look to find out how and where to get them games would be the ECB website, where they'll find out about the All Stars and the Dominos, and how to enjoy courses being run all over the country. 

I'm pretty sure all of this stuff will have been thoroughly planned out in the ECB's business plan, and considered by the counties when they voted for it. 
  • Options
    I guess time will tell. The only ones I know interested are a couple of people who have gone only because they haven't been able to go to anything else for over year and the few people on here.  Everyone else is either not interested on cricket full stop or are cricket fans and vehemently against it.

We'll be able to tell better how it is doing this time next year
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Apart from the blanket newsmedia coverage, the free-to-air TV, the several hours a day coverage of live and highlights on sky, the main reason some kids might take it up will be that it's the first chance many kids will have had to see and be inspired by some of the world's best cricketers, live. 

As had been pointed out, there have been thousands of free tickets given to kids. Significant numbers, over and above those that might be given free to children to watch county cricket. 

I would imagine that the first place parents of newly-inspired kids would look to find out how and where to get them games would be the ECB website, where they'll find out about the All Stars and the Dominos, and how to enjoy courses being run all over the country. 

I'm pretty sure all of this stuff will have been thoroughly planned out in the ECB's business plan, and considered by the counties when they voted for it. 
    Why couldn't the ECB have utilised those resources to support the Blast instead?

Clearly you've looked on the ECB site for what is available to kids but don't realise that the All Stars and Dynamos (as opposed to Dominos which is a game using tiles or a pizza chain) courses ran for up to four months. These courses are organised by clubs through the use of coaches and volunteers giving up their time and that those courses and they have finished now - as has school cricket? Which is precisely why it is being played at the wrong time for engaging those kids to play and learn about the game. I have no doubt that many of those kids will now, with training already having started for many, turn to playing football.
  • Options

We wanted to go but as you said the website shows sold out. Our Covid rules haven’t relaxed that much. We come out of lockdown on August 7. 
    But she bought them as soon as they went on sale.
    Don't think she’ll be too impressed to find out that a load of comps got in but she had her money refunded 🤔🤷‍♀️
    Be interesting if those rugby lads paid for their tickets 🙄
  • Options
    Is this commentator calling him Jimmy Bairstow or is it a strong NZ accent? 
  • Options
    As expert summariser Harry Gurney's brother is married to my niece, I loved it 😊😊😊
  • Options
    As expert summariser Harry Gurney's brother is married to my niece, I loved it 😊😊😊
    Just looked up what gurney was up to and didn’t realise he was retired. The first in a new breed of franchise cricketers - not quite good enough to play internationally but specialised enough to earn some big bucks. 
  • Options
    Btw, I've not heard much concern for the women's game in these discussions, only concerns for men's county cricket. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Btw, I've not heard much concern for the women's game in these discussions, only concerns for men's county cricket. 
    The discussions around the women’s game in the hundred is completely different. I think many (including myself) have said it’s hopeful that the hundred and being on the bbc etc will benefit the women’s game greatly, in terms of girls signing up to play cricket after seeing it’s not just for men, and the standard of playing increasing (apart from some great wicket keeping, some of the fielding has been bad).