Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    its not patronising at all - its supply and demand the cheapest ticket for women's euro final at Wembley is £12.50 where as England italy cheapest fv for a non member was £276.00 quite a difference. 
  • Options
    I may have had a few too many sherbets on opening night! 😂 wearing a shirt of a team not playing thankfully avoided mention during the tv coverage! 
  • Options
    Never let it be said that the ECB do not have the healthy interests of the boys and girls that watch his competition. Hula Hoops, Skips, McCoy's, Butterkist, KP Nuts, Popchips, Pom-Bear and Tyrrells may not be on the kids replica shirts but they are there for all to see, be it live or on TV, on the men's and women's tops!
  • Options
    Never let it be said that the ECB do not have the healthy interests of the boys and girls that watch his competition. Hula Hoops, Skips, McCoy's, Butterkist, KP Nuts, Popchips, Pom-Bear and Tyrrells may not be on the kids replica shirts but they are there for all to see, be it live or on TV, on the men's and women's tops!
    At least give the ECB some credit - it must have taken an enormous amount of co-ordination to get all of those different snack manufacturers to agree sponsorship at the same time.
  • Options
    At least give the ECB some credit - it must have taken an enormous amount of co-ordination to get all of those different snack manufacturers to agree sponsorship at the same time.
    KP Snacks have paid £4m for the privilege of doing so. Now they wouldn't be doing so if they didn't think that it would make them a lot more then that.
  • Options
    Awful used cricket wickets. Today, one team was all out for 87 in 84 balls and the other took 73 balls to reach their lowly target. Was this really more entertaining than Worcs winning in the last over chasing Kent's 322?

If Test cricket is all about occupying the crease then the shortest form of the game should be about seeing batsmen hitting the ball out of the ground - if only for the sake of the young audience they are seeking to entertain and engage. Teams will just pack their sides with spinners and medium pacers bowling cutters if this carries on like this.

Oh look. The Nottingham Whatevertheyarecalled are playing not one, not two, not three, not four but five spinners!
  • Options
    Pitch looks a minefield at Trent Bridge , Rashid Khan to come on too on this. 
  • Options
    KP Snacks have paid £4m for the privilege of doing so. Now they wouldn't be doing so if they didn't think that it would make them a lot more then that.
    They'll definitely be able to track brand awareness, and an improvement in that metric should convert to increased sales, but there's no guarantee that the investment will be covered. Not all sponsorship campaigns work.
  • Options
    David Willey, opening the bowling for the Super Chargers against Trent Rockets' d'Arcy Short has given the broadcasters the opportunity to caption the action, in their typical, capital letter, fluorescent green and pink style, with the words SHORT WILLEY. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those who are wondering if the Hundred will survive, it’s part of the ECB TV deal with Sky and BBC, worth about £40m a year, £24m of that to the county’s 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    For those who are wondering if the Hundred will survive, it’s part of the ECB TV deal with Sky and BBC, worth about £40m a year, £24m of that to the county’s 
    It will survive as the ECB will not let it "Fail"
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    No one doubts it will survive but will its "success" be worth the damage it is doing?

It is, and will be, a massive success for the women's game. 
  • Options
    I can't imagine anyone in the crowd at Trent Bridge tonight not wanting to turn up to many, many more games after that finish. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The amount of young eyes on these matches is a huge benefit to the growth of the game in the long term and probably outweighs the negatives in the county game (sorry don’t hate me).

I sincerely hope it’s a gateway to getting T20 finals day onto the BBC/ITV/C4 and this Hundred competition can be phased out over time.
  • Options
    The amount of young eyes on these matches is a huge benefit to the growth of the game in the long term and probably outweighs the negatives in the county game (sorry don’t hate me).

I sincerely hope it’s a gateway to getting T20 finals day onto the BBC/ITV/C4 and this Hundred competition can be phased out over time.
    The Blast needs sorting, the group stages drag on, and that could be shorter, you could lose a knock out round as well and just get to finals day.

the Hundred will make too much money for it to go away any time soon
  • Options
    I really enjoyed tonight's game. It hinged on the Stokes  dropped catch but thanks to that became a cracker.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

The Blast needs sorting, the group stages drag on, and that could be shorter, you could lose a knock out round as well and just get to finals day.

Exactly move it to August, put it on free to air TV and wow the crowds would turn up!

It's not the Hundred that's a success, it's the marketing campaign and free to air TV. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I can't imagine anyone in the crowd at Trent Bridge tonight not wanting to turn up to many, many more games after that finish. 
    Excitement levels just the same as T20. 

The cricket or the skills on offer are not up for debate. The format is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said: no
    Rothko said:

Exactly move it to August, put it on free to air TV and wow the crowds would turn up!

It's not the Hundred that's a success, it's the marketing campaign and free to air TV. 
    They won’t because the Counties don’t want to move it or change it, and free to air TV won’t pay anywhere near enough to make it worth there while, honestly there isn’t the TV audience to give a monkeys for Somerset v Gloucestershire 

They get the best of both worlds now, loads of Hundred money, still get to play average Blast games to a couple of thousand, and make money from
    that. 
  • Options
    This is really good interview with Stuart Robertson the man behind the start of T20. Lots of the same complaints about the Hundred were aired when T20 came along, 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said: no
    Rothko said:

They won’t because the Counties don’t want to move it or change it, and free to air TV won’t pay anywhere near enough to make it worth there while, honestly there isn’t the TV audience to give a monkeys for Somerset v Gloucestershire 

They get the best of both worlds now, loads of Hundred money, still get to play average Blast games to a couple of thousand, and make money from
    that. 
    So people are watching it because its London something or others v trent what is its?  Not Surrey v Notts?

Average blast games in front of a couple of thousand?   Not for meaningful games.  There are far too many meaning less games, as you correctly pointed out.  A meaningful blast game at Trent Bridge v  Yorkshire would have sold out today, or close to it.   Most of the blast was played during an England white ball series that doesn't help. 

As a direct result of the hundred there is no meaningful men's 50 over cricket, you know the one we are world champions in.  There is no professional women's t20 cricket.  There is no women's professional cricket at all, at any format played internationally. 

Once the test series starts I do wonder how much press attention the hundred will get, obviously more than county cricket would have got, not because its better, or more deserving, because its to expensive to fail. 

It certainly isn't the "best of both worlds".  That's before you even factor in the devaluation of what's left of the county game because "these aren't the teams on the tele". 

Not ideal that the best England 50 over players are playing in the Hundred rather than honing their skills in the 50 over format 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I was thinking that maybe the best way would have been to have a 2 phase Blast. Group matches played amongst the 18 counties, with the best 8 qualifying for the "Big Blast" competition - a tight 2 or 3 week format -  which can have coverage shared with the BBC and all the ECB hype. And maybe the chance for the 8 successful counties to "bid for" 2 players from the remaining counties or a list of overseas stars who agree to come over for the 3 weeks, but won't know which teams they'll play for.

That way you still have an elite 8 team competition, but it's democratic, and if Leics and Sussex qualify, while Yorkshire and Notts don't, well so be it.

I like this format suggestion too. 

No reason why we couldn’t have had an eight team league for 2021 of Kent, Somerset, Sussex, Hampshire, Notts, Yorkshire, Lancashire and Birmingham.

Each of the eight teams get to “loan” a full England international for a few weeks and also have a separate pool of 20 odd international stars - each team gets two more players from that pool. 

Each year the loans and the pool is reset so the ECB can put together a “draft day” where first picks go to the teams with the best group stage record (to reward better performance).

Think that would make for a very fun league while still incorporating the flashier elements of IPL/Big Bash/Hundred style franchise cricket.