Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    I love cricket so watching the 100 is just another game. However my grope is that it's to similar to t20 for me and franchised teams. 
    Why bring sex into it!
    Fixed....fat fingers....honest 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    I love cricket so watching the 100 is just another game. However my gripe is that it's to similar to t20 for me and franchised teams. 
    My biggest gripe is that it clashes with proper cricket such as the one day competition going on today. 
    Counties are being weakened by losing some of their best players to play in the 100.
    And it creates a them and us situation within the counties, as if there's a knock on benefit in terms of new fans, the counties hosting the 100 will benefit most
  • Options
    Son & his 2 kids had tickets for the 2 matches at Lords today.

But with monsoon like weather in Dorking ( which we currently have here in Wadhurst) he made the decision to stay home.

Seems like St Johns Wood has an invisible roof over it today ......
  • Options

But with monsoon like weather in Dorking ( which we currently have here in Wadhurst) he made the decision to stay home.

I think they should be persuaded to reverse their decision, based on the television evidence
  • Options
    Decided to put it on yesterday after reading some of this thread as hadn't seen or heard anything about it beforehand.

Saw the colour scheme on the screen and promptly threw up, violently.
  • Options
    It's interesting to see that the 'subs' (ie the non-playing squad members, drinks carriers, etc) wear fluorescent green tops over their Oval Invincibles fluorescent green shirts, to help distinguish them easily. 
  • Options

No rain in NW London yet, I live fairly near to Lord's and so far it's just been overcast
  • Options

No rain in NW London yet, I live fairly near to Lord's and so far it's just been overcast
    But chucking it down at Lord's now
  • Options

Cheers @kil@killerandflash proper jinxed it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NugNug
    edited July 2021
    Have never had Sky so totally lost touch with cricket over the years. Got a now tv pass recently to watch the British Lions games. I had seen the graphics and marketing for The Hundred through work last year and was impressed with that side of it. I switched it on the other day and really enjoyed watching it and have watched more. Never really watched T20 so no idea how different/similar they are. Has T20 ever been marketed in the same way to a newer audience? I'll definitely look at going to a game. 
  • Options
    Watching the London Derby.
    Alice Capsey 16 year old batting for the Ovals was different gravy. Loved watching her especially when out their with her Captain Van Niekerk. You could see her just drink in all the advice she was being given.
    She could have a huge career & this experience can only help that.
    Thats the kind of role model I would have loved as a kid.
  • Options
    Watching the London Derby.
    Alice Capsey 16 year old batting for the Ovals was different gravy. Loved watching her especially when out their with her Captain Van Niekerk. You could see her just drink in all the advice she was being given.
    She could have a huge career & this experience can only help that.
    Thats the kind of role model I would have loved as a kid.
    I’m enjoying women’s cricket. It started with the World Cup 3 years ago.  I loved the t20 in Australia a few years ago too.  Women’s sport in general has come on massively over the years.  
  • Options
    i'm a bit of a purist but i flip with my opinion. 

i haven't seen the hundred as of yet but i would of thought that it impacts on test cricket even though pundits say it doesn't. i cant see how it doesn't.

it takes up British summer where we would play test cricket/one dayers and it actually harms the players ability to deal with test cricket. I know that T20 does this as well but bowling and batting in a shorter format of the game changes a players mindset and play. i cant see how this helps cricket? well, here comes the flip, maybe it makes a bit of money and younger people will play. i already played shorter formats of the game when i was a kid before T20 ever existed but i played it as fun, swing your bat and hope. I just find it a pointless gimmick. one dayers are already there. we now have T20 games that attract unfortunately the worst type of people who are only there to get pissed and not watch any cricket but it is a spectacle (the game not them). i have no idea apart from money reasons they came up with a game that is only slightly shorter than a T20 game.

maybe in 10 years time i will be proven wrong and people will be supporting these made up franchise type teams. i just don't know how it helps longer formats of the game. 
  • Options

i haven't seen the hundred as of yet but i would of thought that it impacts on test cricket even though pundits say it doesn't. i cant see how it doesn't.

it takes up British summer where we would play test cricket/one dayers and it actually harms the players ability to deal with test cricket. I know that T20 does this as well but bowling and batting in a shorter format of the game changes a players mindset and play. i cant see how this helps cricket? well, here comes the flip, maybe it makes a bit of money and younger people will play. i already played shorter formats of the game when i was a kid before T20 ever existed but i played it as fun, swing your bat and hope. I just find it a pointless gimmick. one dayers are already there. we now have T20 games that attract unfortunately the worst type of people who are only there to get pissed and not watch any cricket but it is a spectacle (the game not them). i have no idea apart from money reasons they came up with a game that is only slightly shorter than a T20 game.

maybe in 10 years time i will be proven wrong and people will be supporting these made up franchise type teams. i just don't know how it helps longer formats of the game. 
    Watch some of it and then decide for yourself, instead of waiting a decade. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

i tried but James martin was cooking some profiteroles and now they got some bloke watching armadillos. 
  • Options
    Didn’t all the counties agree to it and got paid £1.3m to do so … think that’s what I heard watching Essex v Middlesex game on YouTube , Chelmsford somehow avoided the rain !
    my sons game was rained off in a joke downpour in Loughton , still he sneaked a wicket and catch before the abandonment 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

i tried but James martin was cooking some profiteroles and now they got some bloke watching armadillos. 
    If James Martin had been cooking armadillos I'd have been tempted to watch
  • Options
    Ok I'm going to do this... I am really enjoying it so far.

Really hate love islanders interviewing kids and strange DJs in the stands, but the cricket has been quality entertainment.

Colour scheme is disgusting too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At Lords today and despite the early ending we really enjoyed watching the women’s game. The short format you can see is really appealing to youngsters and those new to cricket. 

First time at Lords and what an amazing ground. Like an exclusive high-end version of Oxford’s old Manor ground with so many different stands :-) 

Walk back to the tube after is the most wet I can ever remember getting. Despite a so called waterproof you could ring out my shirt underneath an hour later. 

Great day out 
    Tbf that's the first time I have ever seen Lords compared to the Manor ground but know exactly what you mean! 
  • Options
    Bonkers the lot of you.

The hundred should never have got of the ground for so many reasons. 

My last post on the shite competition. 
  • Options
    Awful used cricket wickets. Today, one team was all out for 87 in 84 balls and the other took 73 balls to reach their lowly target. Was this really more entertaining than Worcs winning in the last over chasing Kent's 322?

If Test cricket is all about occupying the crease then the shortest form of the game should be about seeing batsmen hitting the ball out of the ground - if only for the sake of the young audience they are seeking to entertain and engage. Teams will just pack their sides with spinners and medium pacers bowling cutters if this carries on like this.

Agreed. Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the competition, short form games need true, flat wickets with a bit of pace and bounce so that the batters can smack the ball with confidence, and can dance down the pitch to hit the spinners with a reasonable degree of certainty. 

Matt Parkinson is a promising bowler, but he's not a 4-9 bowler
  • Options
    Awful used cricket wickets. Today, one team was all out for 87 in 84 balls and the other took 73 balls to reach their lowly target. Was this really more entertaining than Worcs winning in the last over chasing Kent's 322?

If Test cricket is all about occupying the crease then the shortest form of the game should be about seeing batsmen hitting the ball out of the ground - if only for the sake of the young audience they are seeking to entertain and engage. Teams will just pack their sides with spinners and medium pacers bowling cutters if this carries on like this.

Can't understand how this man can't get in their side:

• Options
        despite my early extreme pessimism and ridicule, I am quite enjoying it, though I am NOT watching every ball in every game and only watching the men's version (hope it's still ok to use the term men ? is it ?) .. the acid test will surely come if there are too many wash outs as at Lords yesterday, the mums, dads and super excited children  might not risk turning up for too many of those .. also, a few of the wickets have been a bit dodgy and I suspect that in the day/night games, the team batting first will always always have a big advantage and  family turn outs will be smaller for late finishes .. still, it only lasts for about a month .. pity that covid and international call ups have weakened the squads, lots of overseas stars didn't make it
  • Options

A true Michael Fish moment  :/
  • Options
    A full refund for everyone who attended Lord's yesterday despite the fact that the women's match was completed!

Apparently,  when Sunday’s men’s match was rained off without a ball being bowled, it triggered the clause for a full repayment to fans. However, had Sunday’s thunderstorms arrived four hours earlier, wiping out the women’s fixture but allowing the men’s match to go ahead, there would have been no refund.

Work that one out! I suspect someone in the ECB might be looking for a new job shortly!

• Options
    A full refund for everyone who attended Lord's yesterday despite the fact that the women's match was completed!

Apparently,  when Sunday’s men’s match was rained off without a ball being bowled, it triggered the clause for a full repayment to fans. However, had Sunday’s thunderstorms arrived four hours earlier, wiping out the women’s fixture but allowing the men’s match to go ahead, there would have been no refund.

Work that one out! I suspect someone in the ECB might be looking for a new job shortly!

Slightly insulting to the women's teams, but an admission that the men's cricket is the main commercial draw?
  • Options
    let's be honest , the majority of the crowd are there for the mens match and the crowd i'm sure increases for the mens game