Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    It’s ok (ish).  Really don’t like the TV graphics. Surely it would be better to get T20 to the masses?  At least then if kids got interested they wouldn’t be confused when confronted with 6 ball overs and umpires not waving white cards everywhere if they watched a longer form.  ECB really missed a trick when introducing T20  by not agreeing a terrestrial TV deal and some particularly bizarre scheduling which seemed to try and deliberately exclude children.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Test cricket, Four day country cricket and 50 overs cricket for me  I'm only just beginning to enjoy 20/20 !

Having said that I watched the whole of the woman's match (watch Women's football but hadn't watched women's cricket)

I had heard of Heather Knight and Kate Cross (daughter of Footballer David Cross) and thought it was good for these woman to get publicity and play in front of a decent crowd (even if 3k were comps)

Just not sure "The Hundreds" is needed in the men's game ? I would prefer more 50 over cricket but surely you have to play enough 4 day cricket or otherwise 5 day test match will go the same way as the Dodo.

ADHD is really having an impact on our entertainment.

Speed Chess is coming to channel 5 soon.

• Options
    Everyone there seemed to be having a nice time.  Which must be good. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    I just don't buy that the county game was a way to get people interested, and the ECB looked at Australia and saw that city franchise teams over the summer holidays was the way to go
    I get that point.  If that was what had happened but that's not what has happened.

Also Australia is very, very different geographically.  How many Sheffield Sheild teams are there and how many Big Bash teams are there? 

What City is "The Oval" or the "The North" or "Wales"? 

That's exactly what they've done, could they have named both London teams as ‘london’ then yeah maybe. But the whole thing is wrapped up in the summer holidays, which is a darn sight better then the blast which just goes on and on with loads of dead games, the teams have a city base, but we don't have state capitals/identies like Australia, so you adapt to the market. 
    But that isn't what they have done is it.  So stop saying they have. Test grounds does not equal cities.

It being in the summer holidays is very good.  But sod all to do with the format. 
    Yes shock horror, the test grounds are in, let me check my notes, Cities, and yeah the teams names are a bit generic, but I would take a guess that they weren't pulled out of a hat at Lords for the lols. 

The format will evolve, as did T20, but let's not do revisionism here, a lot of the people getting a bit narly about the 100, would have done in 2003 when the T20 took away their 60 over cup.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I can live with it if it doesn't end up detracting from the T20 blast, which is a terrific competition.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    I just don't buy that the county game was a way to get people interested, and the ECB looked at Australia and saw that city franchise teams over the summer holidays was the way to go
    I get that point.  If that was what had happened but that's not what has happened.

Also Australia is very, very different geographically.  How many Sheffield Sheild teams are there and how many Big Bash teams are there? 

That's exactly what they've done, could they have named both London teams as ‘london’ then yeah maybe. But the whole thing is wrapped up in the summer holidays, which is a darn sight better then the blast which just goes on and on with loads of dead games, the teams have a city base, but we don't have state capitals/identies like Australia, so you adapt to the market. 
    But that isn't what they have done is it.  So stop saying they have. Test grounds does not equal cities.

It being in the summer holidays is very good.  But sod all to do with the format. 
    Yes shock horror, the test grounds are in, let me check my notes, Cities, and yeah the names names is a bit generic, but I would take a guess that they weren't pulled out of a hat at Lords for the lols. 

The format will evolve, as did T20, but let's not do revisionism here, a lot of the people getting a bit narly about the 100, would have done in 2003 when the T20 took away their 60 over cup.
    Do you understand why a team called Manchester isn't appealing to 80% of the county of Lancashire?

The simple thing was to stick to 20/20, merg 3 countries to create each "team", say you had to play 2 players from each county plus 3 over seas.  Play your home games at all 3 of your "home grounds".  In a 2/2/3 fashion. And don't play it over the 50 over cup and scrap the blast and run a concurrent t20 tournament for those not involved.

BTW I was a massive advocate of T20, I even wrote a business case for it at school, years before the ECB did. Guess when I suggested holding it?  In the school holidays. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Yes shock horror, the test grounds are in, let me check my notes, Cities, and yeah the names names is a bit generic, but I would take a guess that they weren't pulled out of a hat at Lords for the lols. 

Do you understand why a team called Manchester isn't appealing to 80% of the county of Lancashire?

The simple thing was to stick to 20/20, merg 3 countries to create each "team", say you had to play 2 players from each county plus 3 over seas.  Play your home games at all 3 of your "home grounds".  In a 2/2/3 fashion. And don't play it over the 50 over cup and scrap the blast and run a concurrent t20 tournament for those not involved. 
    Yes I do, but it's a thing the 3 main cities with over a 1m get teams names after them, whilst the smaller cities have a more regional feel. 

As shifting teams around to placate 4,000 at Chelmsford or Hove is just silly. Big venues, get people in, share the spoil around the sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1 ball each team….
    1 ball which the players kick towards "goals" at either end...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

BTW I was a massive advocate of T20, I even wrote a business case for it at school, years before the ECB did. Guess when I suggested holding it?  In the school holidays. 
    It certainly would be less divisive if supporters of a county knew that their best T20 players would then go and play for their local T20 "franchise", rather than ending up all over the place. Especially for those not hosting any events, who see their players all over the country.

On the commentary, Jimmy Anderson clearly saw the Originals as an extension of Lancashire, while the Invincibles are Surrey dominated (5 in the team tonight plus Clark and laughably Burns)

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Yes I do, but it's a thing the 3 main cities with over a 1m get teams names after them, whilst the smaller cities have a more regional feel. 

As shifting teams around to placate 4,000 at Chelmsford or Hove is just silly. Big venues, get people in, share the spoil around the sport.
    Which 3 cities have a population of over a million?  Do you mean city or metropolitan area?  

If you want to identify as an "Oval" knock yourself out but it's a stupid idea and you won't convince me otherwise.  I know people that go to Old Trafford who won't go because the team is called Manchester.  I know no one in Yorkshire that has an appite for "Northern".  Designed by people in a London bubble. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Which 3 cities have a population of over a million?  Do you mean city or metropolitan area?  

If you want to identify as an "Oval" knock yourself out but it's a stupid idea and you won't convince me otherwise.  I know people that go to Old Trafford who won't go because the team is called Manchester.  I know no one in Yorkshire that has an appite for "Northern".  Designed by people in a London bubble. 

Northern would have been named after Leeds but the rest of Yorkshire threw a fit! Hence the more neutral name
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Northern would have been named after Leeds but the rest of Yorkshire threw a fit! Hence the more neutral name
    Exactly, the same as those over the pennines have thrown a fit over it being Manchester!!! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Exactly, the same as those over the pennines have thrown a fit over it being Manchester!!! 
    The Yorkies threw more of a fit  :D

And to be fair, Lancashire cricket is far more dominated by Manchester than Yorkshire cricket is dominated by Leeds. Indeed historically Yorkshire is a far bigger county too.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

The Yorkies threw more of a fit  :D

And to be fair, Lancashire cricket is far more dominated by Manchester than Yorkshire cricket is dominated by Leeds. Indeed historically Yorkshire is a far bigger county too.
    But Yorkshire is the only county to have two test venues and Lancashire last won the county championship the last time they didn't play a game in Manchester 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Another great game!
    I’ve loved it.
    I even stayed with it when rugby league was on the other side 😳
  • Options
    Enjoyed being back at the Oval. My 6 year old lad loved it. Really pleased we went.
    I've seen both 100 games. My conclusion is...that it's just a bit of fun. Particularly for the kids and families, who might otherwise never, ever watch a game.

People need to lighten up and accept it for what it is. 

Valid points, but it feels similar to Football dropping the League cup and FA cup, and playing 7 a side league in December and January, inside a big arena with Radio 1 DJ's promoting the likes of Kane, Rice, Chilwell, Saka, LLoris, Mount and White playing for London verses Manchester with Shaw, Sterling, Stone, Rashford, Foden, Henderson and Greenwood. ITV get the gig and what can go wrong. Geordie Wearsiders,  Yorkies and Midland Marvels are three other teams.

I accept it's not aimed at me and it's was good to see adults and kids enjoying a cricket match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m enjoying it. Really don’t see the harm in it or why anyone would be so annoyed about it. 

The kids are loving it! 
    As others have stated, this format, IF it continues beyond this season, will be the death of the 50 Over matches for county teams.

I believe that my county, Kent, have 9, if not more, players involved in the Hundred squads , as I'm sure do others..

Today's match at Beckenham v Durham was a prime example of the damage to county sides who do not have the depth of squads like, for example, Surrey.

So, for the month of 50 Over matches, scratch/second teams in effect will be trying to keep up the standards for those interested in watching THEIR team over all formats whilst the Hundred will have several of their county players sitting on the bench /running on with caps etc. What a huge waste & a huge disincentive for members who pay a fee each year to ensure they are able to watch their teams perform. They may well decide not to bother in future to the detriment of their county, and who could blame them.

Some Kent supporters were overheard today stating that the loss of the 50 Over competition in the future could toll the death knell for some less wealthy counties including their own. With only matchday income from 4 day games, especially  in the cold & wet in April/May , which many clearly avoid and the T20s, our historic , respected KCCC may even cease to exist.....

Oh, and when those playing in the Hundred , including England internationals, fail to gain valuable practice in the 50 Over version, how will they fare when plunged "cold" into the 1 Day series against opposing countries ? 

Would you like to see the Aussies & the Windies laughing as they beat our Happy Hundred internationals ? 
    But we don't count, you know people that actually like cricket and watch our counties.  I watch both of mine. 

Come you ovals!!! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I’m enjoying it. Really don’t see the harm in it or why anyone would be so annoyed about it. 

The kids are loving it! 
    As others have stated, this format, IF it continues beyond this season, will be the death of the 50 Over matches for county teams.

I believe that my county, Kent, have 9, if not more, players involved in the Hundred squads , as I'm sure do others..

Today's match at Beckenham v Durham was a prime example of the damage to county sides who do not have the depth of squads like, for example, Surrey.

So, for the month of 50 Over matches, scratch/second teams in effect will be trying to keep up the standards for those interested in watching THEIR team over all formats whilst the Hundred will have several of their county players sitting on the bench /running on with caps etc. What a huge waste & a huge disincentive for members who pay a fee each year to ensure they are able to watch their teams perform. They may well decide not to bother in future to the detriment of their county, and who could blame them.

Some Kent supporters were overheard today stating that the loss of the 50 Over competition in the future could toll the death knell for some less wealthy counties including their own. With only matchday income from 4 day games, especially  in the cold & wet in April/May , which many clearly avoid and the T20s, our historic , respected KCCC may even cease to exist.....

Oh, and when those playing in the Hundred , including England internationals, fail to gain valuable practice in the 50 Over version, how will they fare when plunged "cold" into the 1 Day series against opposing countries ? 

Would you like to see the Aussies & the Windies laughing as they beat our Happy Hundred internationals ? 
    Here, here! Spot on, as ever
  • Options
    Just sort the final table alphabetically…

Congratulations Aberystwyth Aardvarks.
    I'm thinking of joining the Aachen Aardvarken because I haven't won anything for a long time. 
  • Options
    "Dad, that Hundred match was great. I want to learn how to bat and bowl? Please Dad!!!"

"Sorry son but I don't know anything about cricket and children your age stop playing at school and for clubs when the Hundred starts. There's always next year. We can still watch it on TV and spend money buying tickets to go and see some matches. We will be helping all those nice people at the ECB by doing that."

"Suppose so Dad. When does football training start again?"

"Next week son. And it's a lot cheaper to play football too. All you need is a pair of boots"

"Oh that's great. Cricket's OK to watch but I'd much rather be playing football"
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Agree that it feels like a London bubble and let's see how it plays out in the rest of the country  in further seasons. Getting full house The Oval is simply what they have been doing for years particularly on Thursday/Fridays for T20s so no reason why that would end with the 100. The crowd they attract is a lot of people looking for a good night out  not so dissimilar to PDC Darts

The real success of the Hundred will come with bigger gates in the rest of the country who still struggle even with T20s. Pereonally I can't see why Chester Le Street will start getting more people in just because 40 less balls are bowled than T20
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:

Agree that it feels like a London bubble and let's see how it plays out in the rest of the country  in further seasons. Getting full house The Oval is simply what they have been doing for years particularly on Thursday/Fridays for T20s so no reason why that would end with the 100. The crowd they attract is a lot of people looking for a good night out  not so dissimilar to PDC Darts

The real success of the Hundred will come with bigger gates in the rest of the country who still struggle even with T20s. Pereonally I can't see why Chester Le Street will start getting more people in just because 40 less balls are bowled than T20
    If that were the only difference, you'd be making quite a good point. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed being back at the Oval. My 6 year old lad loved it. Really pleased we went.

Have you taken him to T20 ?
  • Options
    Yes, pre-covid, but was too young really. Taking him to Surrey vs Northants next Friday for the 1 day game. I will be interested to see what he'll be like over 100 overs....
  • Options
    rushed, frantic, too eager to please and some pretty poor batting performances as the 'batters' seemed to get swept up in the febrile atmosphere .. despite the hype, the 100 is just a shortened version of 20/20, perhaps a statement of the bleedin obvious, but that is really all it is.
    A lot of money has been invested in this format, perhaps money that would have been better spent in improving 20/20. Large cash investment will mean that the 100 is too big to fail. BUT I doubt the public enthusiasm will last for too long, especially on dark and damp late summer/early autumn evenings The crowd seemed to enjoy it but that is probably due to terrific marketing, a determination to enjoy a 'new concept' and (supposedly) post covid lockdown euphoria. The tv coverage (BBC) tried to do too much, too many 'celebs' trying too hard to be enthusiastic.  All in all a joyful yet overhyped start. I'll give it two years before the gloss wears off