Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Not all referees are great but then neither are the players. Constantly slagging off refs has undermined the game and led to intimidatory behaviour by players at all levels of the game.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Toni Duggan has been a main stay for England over many years even though she is still only 27.
    She has scored some cracking goals for clubs and country but is under pressure now with the emergence not only of Parris and Mead but the senior players White and Taylor who deliver on the big stage.

The save by Karen Bardsley was top draw because so many of the smaller keepers in this world cup wouldn't have been able to stop a shot going into the top corner. The fantastic Chile keeper maybe but not many others. Bardsley is 5ft 11in which is tall for female keeper at present even though it would be considered small for male keeper.

The great things is England have 3 wins despite the 90 minute performances being erratic. Sharp play in both boxes by the centre forwards White and Taylor and the same by Bardsley and Telford (didn't have much to do but made no errors) have meant we get to play a 3rd place team in last 16

Neville is similar to Mark Sampson in many ways other than not saying silly comments to the girls in training. It will be tough to emulate our 3rd place finish in last WC but it's possible.

Ps. only reason for comparison to men's football for keepers is it is a relevent point !
  • Options
    Toni Duggan has been a main stay for England over many years even though she is still only 27.
    She has scored some cracking goals for clubs and country but is under pressure now with the emergence not only of Parris and Mead but the senior players White and Taylor who deliver on the big stage.

The save by Karen Bardsley was top draw because so many of the smaller keepers in this world cup wouldn't have been able to stop a shot going into the too corner. The fantastic Chile keeper maybe but not many others. Bardsley is 5ft 11in which is tall for female keeper at present even though it would be considered small for male keeper.

The great things is England have 3 wins despite the 90 minute performances being erratic. Sharp play in both boxes by the centre forwards White and Taylor and the same by Bardsley and Telford (didn't have much to do but made no errors) have meant we get to play a 3rd place team in last 16

Neville is similar to Mark Sampson in many ways other than not saying silly comments to the girls in training. It will be tough to emulate our 3rd place finish in last WC but it's possible.
    Thought we were pretty poor in the second half last night - too many misplaced passes and looked shaky in defence. Be interesting to see how we fare against a better team.
  • Options

The save by Karen Bardsley was top draw because so many of the smaller keepers in this world cup wouldn't have been able to stop a shot going into the too corner. The fantastic Chile keeper maybe but not many others. Bardsley is 5ft 11in which is tall for female keeper at present even though it would be considered small for male keeper.

Thought we were pretty poor in the second half last night - too many misplaced passes and looked shaky in defence. Be interesting to see how we fare against a better team.
    Agreed, young Walsh in midfield has had a fantastic season for Man City (got to see her play live in a couple of games) but is still trying to establish her place, the experience Moore may get the nod in next game.
    Mead for Duggan on the left( despite Beth being better on the right) and Parris will start even though Daley was superb first half against Japan. Daley is the most versatile player I have seen in last 20 years of watching female football and could still start in another position. Don't think Taylor and White will start and Jodie may come off the bench in 2nd half depending on score.
  • Options

Agreed, young Walsh in midfield has had a fantastic season for Man City (got to see her play live in a couple of games) but is still trying to establish her place, the experience Moore may get the nod in next game.
    Mead for Duggan on the left( despite Beth being better on the right) and Parris will start even though Daley was superb first half against Japan. Daley is the most versatile player I have seen in last 20 years of watching female football and could still start in another position. Don't think Taylor and White will start and Jodie may come off the bench in 2nd half depending on score.
    Bronze has really impressed me and also Daley. I was surprised at how poor the kicking of Bardsley was - surely this is something she can improve?
  • Options

Bronze has really impressed me and also Daley. I was surprised at how poor the kicking of Bardsley was - surely this is something she can improve?
    Bronze plays for Lyon who are far and away the best team in Women's football so she is obviously no mug.
  • Options

You would think so but it's really not her strength. Carly Telford is much better with the ball at her feet, which is why she came in against Argentina, but she's a shakier keeper than Bardsley and much shorter. Bardsley isn't giant but she seems to have the wingspan on a 7ft woman which helps her make saves like yesterday's one.
  • Options

You would think so but it's really not her strength. Carly Telford is much better with the ball at her feet, which is why she came in against Argentina, but she's a shakier keeper than Bardsley and much shorter. Bardsley isn't giant but she seems to have the wingspan on a 7ft woman which helps her make saves like yesterday's one.
    It doesn't have to be her strength but her goalkicks were shocking and barely had any distance on them.
  • Options

That is the reason that Telford got the nod against Argentina, not just to give her minutes but because she is better with her feet than Bardsley but as is evident Karen is a top notch goalie.
    Keepers and improving their kicking is often discussed on CL !
  • Options

That is the reason that Telford got the nod against Argentina, not just to give her minutes but because she is better with her feet than Bardsley but as is evident Karen is a top notch goalie.
    Keepers and improving their kicking is often discussed on CL !
    I sort of feel at the very least a keeper should be able to reach the half way line with a goal kick otherwise you can keep playing yourself into trouble. I'm not clear why some female keepers are so much poorer than their male counterparts in this area.

Goalkeeping has generally been the weakest area for me in the women's game but it's certainly improved a lot in the last 10-15 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last night Bardsley was weak with her kicking. I had never really noticed that as much before. Hopefully just a bad night at the office with her feet( luckily her hands were working better !)
  • Options
    I thought England were playing too many passes around the back last night: two short passes forward, one pass sideways, back to keeper, over and over again. Partly due to weak kicking from the keeper, but there was also very little movement ahead for an out-ball. This looked more and more dangerous as the Japanese pressed in. It only takes one mistake and you're a goal down, but they did it repeatedly. It will bite them if they do it against teams with more of a cutting edge.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Just my opinion and have had to think on my feet in youth football but same principle at any level when making subs.

comment below from Phil Neville:
    In the second half [against Japan], because we were so open and fatigued, we probably got exposed a little bit.

All the more reason he should've made the subs earlier and use all 3 to try to stop the momentum swing to Japan. (Said from 60 odd minutes when a negative pattern started)

If any team in a major competition is Fatigued in a group game, the chances of winning another 4 games is impossible.

Hopefully just a poor choice of word by PN who is doing fine so far and with his experience at United should know what's best but...
  • Options
    Our style of play is non negotiable says Neville

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48695079
  • Options

Don't particularly want to get into this debate. And I actually think she is wrong because this is the biggest most high profile women's sporting event ever and is about promoting women's involvement in all aspects of the game.

But I found it a bit rich that this was coming from the woman that claimed all Charlton fans were sexist because they wanted rid of Meire when she has publicly shown many times she wasn't up to the job.
  • Options
    Just my opinion and have had to think on my feet in youth football but same principle at any level when making subs.

In the second half [against Japan], because we were so open and fatigued, we probably got exposed a little bit.

All the more reason he should've made the subs earlier and use all 3 to try to stop the momentum swing to Japan. (Said from 60 odd minutes when a negative pattern started)

If any team in a major competition is Fatigued in a group game, the chances of winning another 4 games is impossible.

Hopefully just a poor choice of word by PN who is doing fine so far and with his experience at United should know what's best but...
    Even more worrying given we made EIGHT changes from the previous group game.
  • Options
    Thought we played really well first half and unlucky to be just 1 up. Second half levels dropped considerably and we were lucky to win. Stanway, Walsh and Daley appeared to fade while Duggan never got going and Bright had a bad night.
    I think Neville is doing the right thing rotating his squad and keeping players involved. This particularly applies in women's football as, unless I'm mistaken, it is rare for them to play more than once a week normally. Do think he delayed his subs too long though. Parris and Carney both played key parts in the second goal and Moore did tighten us a bit in the middle. 
  • Options
    Fatigue shouldn't be such an issue given the pace of the game seems slightly slower than the mens. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Even more worrying given we made EIGHT changes from the previous group game.
    Not sure if this analogy is transferable but when Cambridge beat Oxford by 1 length they show jubilation and incredible energy.
    Whereas Oxford show exhaustion and fatigue. Fatigue comes in sport when the mind gets confused as much as physical fitness.

Whatever type of fatigue Phil thinks England were suffering with, it wasn't physical because these aren't amateur footballers and Houghton, Scott, and Bronze were still playing well and looked fine despite playing all three games.
  • Options
    I couldn’t believe how knackered they all looked in the second half. 
    Somebody somewhere got the preparation very wrong. 

Even though Bright didn’t have her best game, I really like her. 
    Shes my favourite. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel like Bright wasn't fully recovered from her shoulder injury and it affected her throughout the game. I'm leaning more towards wanting McManus to start the next game as she's a bit more assured on the ball and if we get pressed at the back she's better at finding the right ball out than Bright
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/19/hope-solo-sweden-cowards-comments-womens-world-cup-2019

Highly recommend this from Hope Solo. During all of the US celebrations of their goals in a 13-0 win, I kept thinking that Solo was basically banned/blackballed for saying the team who knocked them out of the Olympics were "Cowards," which was called disrespectful.

Now, I'm fine with both, I had no problem with what Solo said at the time (think it's a bit churlish, but whatever), and I had no problem with the US celebrating all of their goals. But it definitely feels like a double-standard from US Soccer.

Also, Solo had previous. A lot of previous. And she was a keeper in her early-mid '30s without a major tournament for three years. There were plenty of reasons for the US/Jill Ellis to say "look, you're not going to get picked anymore." But what they did denied her a testimonial, and basically isolated one of the best keepers to ever play in the women's game.  
  • Options
    Netherlands are 1-1 with Canada.
    Cameroon are 1-0 against New Zealand.
    The winners will play England in last 16.
  • Options

Don't particularly want to get into this debate. And I actually think she is wrong because this is the biggest most high profile women's sporting event ever and is about promoting women's involvement in all aspects of the game.

But I found it a bit rich that this was coming from the woman that claimed all Charlton fans were sexist because they wanted rid of Meire when she has publicly shown many times she wasn't up to the job.
    Her main concern is nothing to do with equality.  She's mainly annoyed that women's football is being shown up as a joke shop due to the standard of refereeing.  It kicks a great big hole in her 'women in sport, you go girl!' narrative.

The basic problem is the low participation levels.  The more participants, the higher the overall standard rises.  That's basically why the USA are able to smash Thailand 13-0 and the refs at this tournament are not really up to international standard.

But no, instead of addressing the root of difficult questions about hopeless mismatches and sub-standard refs she wants a quick  convenient fix in the name of pretend equality to stop women's football being embarrassed again.

• Options
    Fantastic finish to the Cameroon game - score with last kick of game to qualify.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Her main concern is nothing to do with equality.  She's mainly annoyed that women's football is being shown up as a joke shop due to the standard of refereeing.  It kicks a great big hole in her 'women in sport, you go girl!' narrative.

The basic problem is the low participation levels.  The more participants, the higher the overall standard rises.  That's basically why the USA are able to smash Thailand 13-0 and the refs at this tournament are not really up to international standard.

But no, instead of addressing the root of difficult questions about hopeless mismatches and sub-standard refs she wants a quick  convenient fix in the name of pretend equality to stop women's football being embarrassed again.

Not many hopeless mismatches with the exception of Thailand and standard of refereeing is improving.

You seem keen to criticise through exaggeration.
  • Options
    Fantastic finish to the Cameroon game - score with last kick of game to qualify.
    I muted the sound on the Dutch game and watched the last 5 minutes of normal time and 5 added on time. Cameroon did score with the Clock on 4.59 added time. Amazing scences, two of the Cameroon girls have fainted ! They had about 5 chances in added time alone.

• Options
    Missed It said:

Not many hopeless mismatches with the exception of Thailand and standard of refereeing is improving.

Do you deny the basic point of my post?  Increased participation increases standards.  USA has many thousands of girls and women playing football, Thailand unfortunately doesn't.

You see the same issues with refereeing.  If the pool of available referees is not large enough, the standards of those getting to the higher levels is dependent on who ever you can get rather than whoever is best.

I have no issue with women's football itself.  Just the likes of Jo Tongue who isn't doing women's football any favours by pretending the problem is solved by using male referees.  She should be about improving standards and encouraging female participation in the game.

She's pretending equality is the problem, when it's actually participation levels and standards.

• Options
    England's next opponents, only lost 1+0 to Canada and Holland 3-1. Cameroon shoud be Taylor made for England all White but they have some dangerous forwards.
    Not sure if the game will be in Parris but we want to do better than a Bronze in this tournament.
    In our next game we must make a bright finish as well as a bright start. Moore wins are required, the Daley training sessions are going well but we must stop making poor mistakes at the back or we won't get off Scott free against the better sides.

• Options
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Do you deny the basic point of my post?  Increased participation increases standards.  USA has many thousands of girls and women playing football, Thailand unfortunately doesn't.

You see the same issues with refereeing.  If the pool of available referees is not large enough, the standards of those getting to the higher levels is dependent on who ever you can get rather than whoever is best.

I have no issue with women's football itself.  Just the likes of Jo Tongue who isn't doing women's football any favours by pretending the problem is solved by using male referees.  She should be about improving standards and encouraging female participation in the game.

She's pretending equality is the problem, when it's actually participation levels and standards.

I don't accept most of what you say - you use a dislike of a certain individual to argue other points without backing them up in my view.

Participation levels and standards have increased a lot in the women's game and this includes the refereeing. This is effectively what you've just argued for.

You go on about mismatches in your post but if you'd watched the games you'd see this only really applies to Thailand. If you watch other sporting competitions there are far more mismatches.

You also use the phrase 'joke shop' in respect of the competition so it doesn't suggest to me you've either watched it or given it a chance.

I've watched a number of the games and have been impressed by the standard and the refereeing has certainly not been as bad as you're claiming.