Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Last night Bardsley was weak with her kicking. I had never really noticed that as much before. Hopefully just a bad night at the office with her feet( luckily her hands were working better !)
    Yes, I didn't have her down as a poor kicker and have seen her many times before. Not as noticeably poor as yesterday anyway. Maybe she was carrying an injury.
  • Options
    I am confused - the BBC site said Cameroon have gone through at the expense of Nigeria because they have a better disciplinary record, but then they say Chile go through if the win by 3 tonight, so surely Nigeria can still go through!!!!!
  • Options
    I am confused - the BBC site said Cameroon have gone through at the expense of Nigeria because they have a better disciplinary record, but then they say Chile go through if the win by 3 tonight, so surely Nigeria can still go through!!!!!
    Both Nigeria and Cameroon finished with 3 points and -2 so the only status that made Cameroon's finish higher was they scored one goal more. I know they said disciplinary record but that is surely the last criteria to be used. If Chile win 4-0 they go above the other 2.
    I would be amazed if disciplinary record is above GD and GS but this tournament is all about new rules so anything is  possible.
  • Options
    USA looking very impressive again. Some excellent passing.
  • Options
    Both Nigeria and Cameroon finished with 3 points and -2 so the only status that made Cameroon's finish higher was they scored one goal more. I know they said disciplinary record but that is surely the last criteria to be used. If Chile win 4-0 they go above the other 2.
    I would be amazed if disciplinary record is above GD and GS but this tournament is all about new rules so anything is  possible.
    Cameroon are definitely through as they've done better than Argentina and Nigeria who finished third in their respective groups. Nigeria will progress dependent on the Chile result.
  • Options
    Nobody is even close to the USA. England are one of only a couple of teams who could feasibly nick a result off them
  • Options
    The USA women are so powerful. They have such a strong squad. Seeing Sweden made changes make you realize that being second is the preferred route for the scandi team. They did have a great chance to equalise but shot straight at the keeper.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Nobody is even close to the USA. England are one of only a couple of teams who could feasibly nick a result off them
    Knock the ball around really well and work really hard. Will be hard to beat.
  • Options
    Chile struggling to score against Thailand
  • Options
    Excellent first half - Sweden have done well to keep in the game considering the number of changes they have made.

US have looked a little bit iffy defensively at times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I'm watching the Chile game. If they score three they are England's next opponents. They have hit the woodwork twice but not sure what their manager is up to. They need to get more bodies in the Thailand box and make more runs into the box looking for pens. Given how they play, that is their best chance, although Thailand may tire. Take a defender out FFS and add an attacker!  

Chile have the best keeper, but it would be pretty easy for England if we played them on Sunday I suspect.
  • Options
    Hope Solo is driving me nuts as a pundit - her voice does my head in.
  • Options
    Agree with Hope and Casey, why bring this law in for the WC. You do it in a lesser tournament. Total disrespect to the women's game. 
  • Options
    Offside for me
  • Options
    I literally don't understand the offside rule any more
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Offside for me
    Had to be offside.
  • Options
    Boo :-(
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Boo :-(
    Ridiculous decision.
  • Options
    Have they changed the offside law again or something?
  • Options
    I would need that decision explained because the goal was scored in the same phase so had to be off side. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chile need 3 not 4 to qualify to play England.
    Have 2 and have been awarded a pen !

Missed
  • Options
    Chile missed a pen to go 3-0 and qualify OUCH
  • Options
    Very frustrating to watch Chile. 
  • Options
    Any team that can't score 3 against Thailand doesn't deserve to be in last 16.
    Harsh but true.
    Cameroon play England.
    Nigeria go through to play Germany.
  • Options
    It is strange how clueless they were going forwards. It almost looked like they didn't want to score.
  • Options
    Sadly, just watched NZ go down 2-1 to Cameroon with the last kick of the game.  They have never ever won a World Cup game in 5 tournaments.  The only goal they scored in this World Cup was a Cameroon own goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    New Zealand looked lively in their last friendly when they surprised England and won 1-0 but they cant win games in WC for love nor money. 
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Don't particularly want to get into this debate. And I actually think she is wrong because this is the biggest most high profile women's sporting event ever and is about promoting women's involvement in all aspects of the game.

But I found it a bit rich that this was coming from the woman that claimed all Charlton fans were sexist because they wanted rid of Meire when she has publicly shown many times she wasn't up to the job.
    Her main concern is nothing to do with equality.  She's mainly annoyed that women's football is being shown up as a joke shop due to the standard of refereeing.  It kicks a great big hole in her 'women in sport, you go girl!' narrative.

The basic problem is the low participation levels.  The more participants, the higher the overall standard rises.  That's basically why the USA are able to smash Thailand 13-0 and the refs at this tournament are not really up to international standard.

But no, instead of addressing the root of difficult questions about hopeless mismatches and sub-standard refs she wants a quick  convenient fix in the name of pretend equality to stop women's football being embarrassed again.

Not many hopeless mismatches with the exception of Thailand and standard of refereeing is improving.

You seem keen to criticise through exaggeration.
    Do you deny the basic point of my post?  Increased participation increases standards.  USA has many thousands of girls and women playing football, Thailand unfortunately doesn't.

You see the same issues with refereeing.  If the pool of available referees is not large enough, the standards of those getting to the higher levels is dependent on who ever you can get rather than whoever is best.

I have no issue with women's football itself.  Just the likes of Jo Tongue who isn't doing women's football any favours by pretending the problem is solved by using male referees.  She should be about improving standards and encouraging female participation in the game.

She's pretending equality is the problem, when it's actually participation levels and standards.

I don't accept most of what you say - you use a dislike of a certain individual to argue other points without backing them up in my view.

Participation levels and standards have increased a lot in the women's game and this includes the refereeing. This is effectively what you've just argued for.

You go on about mismatches in your post but if you'd watched the games you'd see this only really applies to Thailand. If you watch other sporting competitions there are far more mismatches.

You also use the phrase 'joke shop' in respect of the competition so it doesn't suggest to me you've either watched it or given it a chance.

I've watched a number of the games and have been impressed by the standard and the refereeing has certainly not been as bad as you're claiming.

I'll admit, Jo Tongue starts off on minus points with me.  She was prepared to throw lazy insults like "sexist" around against anyone who criticised Katrien Meire for being no good at her job, wilfully ignoring the mountain of evidence that proved she was no good at her job. Never mind the uncomfortable truth if it doesn't fit your agenda.  Shouting "sexist" beats any argument, right?

The intent of my original post was that Jo Tongue has missed the point completely.  As an advocate for women in sport she should be questioning why women officials are getting thrown under the bus at this tournament.  Deciding to say now that the best officials should be there regardless of gender is a tacit admission that the female officials at the tournament aren't of the required standard.  Her only solution as a supposed champion of women's sport?  Basically, let the blokes do it.  Cheers.  A well thought out and argued solution that.  Nothing about increasing participation, funding for professional female referees in the WSL, or any other practical suggestion.    

The refereeing in this tournament certainly hasn't been up to standard on enough occasions for it to be worthy of comment, have a read back through this thread for starters, never mind the player's, manager's and media's comments.  If you don't care much for my colourful language I'll frame it in more sober terms.  FIFA have decided that their premier women's football competition will be officiated by women.  It is therefore incumbent on them as tournament organisers to make sure the officials are of the required international standard.  I would argue that they've failed to do so by relying on a pool of largely part time female officials, and then compounded the problem by throwing new rules, unworkable guidance and VAR on top.  

My bringing up the USA v Thailand game was to point out how the difference in participation levels effect standards.  The example is extreme, but it serves the point.  The same principle applies to female referees.  There aren't enough women going in to refereeing, more domestic British women's games are officiated by men than women and the standard of female referees hasn't improved at the same rate as the players.  The standard won't improve any time soon without more participation and professionalisation, but not necessarily as part of men's football.  
  • Options
    I think there is potentially a problem based on participation levels which in terms of officials means that there are less women ones of the correct standard. It isn't because they are women though and that is important for us all to remember.

Having said that, I think VAR makes life harder for officials where if implemented properly it should make things easier. I have seen a few young girls ref at grassroots level and they have been very good. The problem is that football can be a bit intimidating and that might put off young people from both sexes. It is incumbent on leagues to make it a friendlier place for young refs and then we might see more of them.

I think the key is to set the standards at the beginning of youth football and work it up.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Don't particularly want to get into this debate. And I actually think she is wrong because this is the biggest most high profile women's sporting event ever and is about promoting women's involvement in all aspects of the game.

But I found it a bit rich that this was coming from the woman that claimed all Charlton fans were sexist because they wanted rid of Meire when she has publicly shown many times she wasn't up to the job.
    Her main concern is nothing to do with equality.  She's mainly annoyed that women's football is being shown up as a joke shop due to the standard of refereeing.  It kicks a great big hole in her 'women in sport, you go girl!' narrative.

The basic problem is the low participation levels.  The more participants, the higher the overall standard rises.  That's basically why the USA are able to smash Thailand 13-0 and the refs at this tournament are not really up to international standard.

But no, instead of addressing the root of difficult questions about hopeless mismatches and sub-standard refs she wants a quick  convenient fix in the name of pretend equality to stop women's football being embarrassed again.

Not many hopeless mismatches with the exception of Thailand and standard of refereeing is improving.

You seem keen to criticise through exaggeration.
    Do you deny the basic point of my post?  Increased participation increases standards.  USA has many thousands of girls and women playing football, Thailand unfortunately doesn't.

You see the same issues with refereeing.  If the pool of available referees is not large enough, the standards of those getting to the higher levels is dependent on who ever you can get rather than whoever is best.

I have no issue with women's football itself.  Just the likes of Jo Tongue who isn't doing women's football any favours by pretending the problem is solved by using male referees.  She should be about improving standards and encouraging female participation in the game.

She's pretending equality is the problem, when it's actually participation levels and standards.

I don't accept most of what you say - you use a dislike of a certain individual to argue other points without backing them up in my view.

Participation levels and standards have increased a lot in the women's game and this includes the refereeing. This is effectively what you've just argued for.

You go on about mismatches in your post but if you'd watched the games you'd see this only really applies to Thailand. If you watch other sporting competitions there are far more mismatches.

You also use the phrase 'joke shop' in respect of the competition so it doesn't suggest to me you've either watched it or given it a chance.

I've watched a number of the games and have been impressed by the standard and the refereeing has certainly not been as bad as you're claiming.

I'll admit, Jo Tongue starts off on minus points with me.  She was prepared to throw lazy insults like "sexist" around against anyone who criticised Katrien Meire for being no good at her job, wilfully ignoring the mountain of evidence that proved she was no good at her job. Never mind the uncomfortable truth if it doesn't fit your agenda.  Shouting "sexist" beats any argument, right?

The intent of my original post was that Jo Tongue has missed the point completely.  As an advocate for women in sport she should be questioning why women officials are getting thrown under the bus at this tournament.  Deciding to say now that the best officials should be there regardless of gender is a tacit admission that the female officials at the tournament aren't of the required standard.  Her only solution as a supposed champion of women's sport?  Basically, let the blokes do it.  Cheers.  A well thought out and argued solution that.  Nothing about increasing participation, funding for professional female referees in the WSL, or any other practical suggestion.    

The refereeing in this tournament certainly hasn't been up to standard on enough occasions for it to be worthy of comment, have a read back through this thread for starters, never mind the player's, manager's and media's comments.  If you don't care much for my colourful language I'll frame it in more sober terms.  FIFA have decided that their premier women's football competition will be officiated by women.  It is therefore incumbent on them as tournament organisers to make sure the officials are of the required international standard.  I would argue that they've failed to do so by relying on a pool of largely part time female officials, and then compounded the problem by throwing new rules, unworkable guidance and VAR on top.  

My bringing up the USA v Thailand game was to point out how the difference in participation levels effect standards.  The example is extreme, but it serves the point.  The same principle applies to female referees.  There aren't enough women going in to refereeing, more domestic British women's games are officiated by men than women and the standard of female referees hasn't improved at the same rate as the players.  The standard won't improve any time soon without more participation and professionalisation, but not necessarily as part of men's football.  
    I think Jo Tongue has been a bit of a red herrring - she's certainly not someone worth listening to after her comments on KM.

The issue in women's football is certainly more with referees than players and the shortcomings are open to debate. It's probably far easier to attract women to play than officiate.

I think it's a good thing that women officials have been given the chance to officiate in this competition but as you say they've been hampered by some of the VAR changes thrust upon this competition. Having male officials may have been better but personally I think the right decision was made for the future of the game.

Overall the standard continues to improve and I feel optimistic.

We can both ignore Jo Tongue!