Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Seems there is a bit of controversey ahead of tomorrows game though

England are accusing the United States of spying on them after a couple of officials from the United States team were seen at their hotel and looking around the players rooms etc. - United States on the other hand have denied the allegations and are just claiming that they were being shown around the hotel as a scouting operation simply to decide where they stay if they make the Final
  • Options
    I’m not sure I buy into the whole ‘footballs coming home working against us’ theory. It was an in joke and piss take of ourselves before a ball was even kicked. The first people that knew it wasn’t coming home were the English.
    Its what I love about the English sense of humour

People just dont get it and think we're being arrogant when in truth we are just taking the piss out of ourselves
    Explain how that works when the opposition use that as motivation ?  The dear old English Sense of humour. 

I think the snow flake generation have moved the goal posts, you remember, like the Scottish fans did at Wembley back in the day.

Football's coming home, still make me feel glad all over !
  • Options
    In football you will use what you can as motivation. Right or wrong. Although it is worrying if you need any motivating for a World Cup semi final.
  • Options
    I really hope we beat the USA tomorrow evening. I admire the tenacity and team spirit we have shown throughout the competition. Whilst I think we are vulnerable to a team with a good attack, we are pretty canny ourselves going forward, particularly down the right. I think we are going to give the yanks a proper game tomorrow evening, and if we can keep it tighter at the back, I think we have a chance, this is one determined, together team who won’t give up.
    Come on England.

• Options
    Bright is a concern, but you just tell her no passbacks or sideways passes unless under severe pressure and no choice. She has a kick on her so kick it forwards.
  • Options
    I’m not sure I buy into the whole ‘footballs coming home working against us’ theory. It was an in joke and piss take of ourselves before a ball was even kicked. The first people that knew it wasn’t coming home were the English.

People just dont get it and think we're being arrogant when in truth we are just taking the piss out of ourselves
    Explain how that works when the opposition use that as motivation ?  The dear old English Sense of humour. 

I think the snow flake generation have moved the goal posts, you remember, like the Scottish fans did at Wembley back in the day.

Yes I did hear rumours that when Mandzukic scored that winner he was thinking about shutting up Karen, 54, from Dudley because she thought football really was coming home.

If they actually used this pretend English arrogance as pre match motivation then it didn’t work that great for the first 20 minutes, they were awful and we should of been 3-0 up. Did Modric whack out 3 lions at HT?

Croatia beat us because they were simply better after HT and we completely dropped our game plan and tempo and they were the better football side on the night.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Correct. They beat us because we wanted to hold on to what we had and they had to try and score. You can't change the second part of that but you can change the first. A lot of managers will say that it is the mentality of the players and not a tactical change of emphasis but a lot will see it as shutting up shop.

Look at Sunderland's record this season. It is why many of us were not too down after the own goal and Wembley. Some, myself included my actually look back on it and think it helped us. 

• Options
    Watching the USA v France game, I didn't see anything that should massively scare England before tomorrow night. The passing (from both sides) was absolutely woeful for most parts.

Whilst they are a decent side, IMO they are living on past glories....I'd be pretty confident of England beating them.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I was impressed when the USA beat Thailand, but less so in their other games. It is easier to play against teams that stand off you and let you play like Thailand did. They got the tactics right for that game, play with pace but you lose a bit of accuracy which doesn't matter against a very poor side, but does against a good one. 

Defensively, they look like they can be a bit suspect, like England. The French goal was ridiculous - their main threat and nobody on her! Both their goals against France would not be scored against England IMO. I was far from impressed with them against Chile, who apart from having a great keeper were complete rubbish. They have got some lucky penalties but are one of those teams that you can tell are not quite as good as people may think they are. I'm very confident.
  • Options
    Cut out the errors and England can beat the USA. But for every England team, male or female - in every team sport - that has been our undoing for years and years and years...   
    Agreed, whether team or individual sport.
    Joanne Konta is English now, she has lived in Eastbourne for the past 14 years and you can't be more English than that despite her not drawing her pension yet !
    I saw her snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against a player she should of beaten at the French semi final. 5-2 up and 15-40 on her opponent serve she messed up an easy smash to take the 1st set when the other girl had already given up the point.
    5-2 up again in the 2nd set she messed up again.

England fans motivated the Croatian team in the semi final of WC, By singing, shouting and humming " Football's coming home" I love this song but it back fired as the proud Croatians thought we were taking the piss by dismissing them. Cuttings from the biased English media were put up in the dressing room according to their players. Sterling being picked every game at that time despite 30 odd games without a goal and Kane injured or not preferring to play his best football between September and May !
    Yes we have had some semi final heartache,
    Euro 96 and 1990 stay lodged in the mind and refuse to move on.
    Andy Murray was good in Semi finals as a British player despite losing many finals as a Scot(Barring two Wimbledon's and a US slam win !)
    Sorry @Weegie Addick I couldn't help myself, I want 28 other offences to be taken into consideration !

At the risk of derailing this thread, just watch Andy win again at Wimbledon! 

And come on the Lionesses - though will need all the luck they can get!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019

Yes I did hear rumours that when Mandzukic scored that winner he was thinking about shutting up Karen, 54, from Dudley because she thought football really was coming home.

If they actually used this pretend English arrogance as pre match motivation then it didn’t work that great for the first 20 minutes, they were awful and we should of been 3-0 up. Did Modric whack out 3 lions at HT?

Croatia beat us because they were simply better after HT and we completely dropped our game plan and tempo and they were the better football side on the night.
    Scotland, Wales and Ireland don't get the English joke because the One Country they want to beat more than any other is England because of our perceived arrogance.
    Of Course once a game Kicks off the phoney war stops and everything being equal the best team wins but coaches in Football, Boxing, Cricket, etc will and do use perceived big headedness by the opposition to motivate their side or individual.

Phil Neville has commented that the USA had two officials looking around the English hotel while they were training so they can book in when England book out after losing. Neville is playing mind games to motivate his team and stir things up.
    Being English I find that amusing.
  • Options
    General politeness and respect suggests you don't do that though. I suppose these are qualities something many Americans don't possess in large quantities.
  • Options
    General politeness and respect suggests you don't do that though. I suppose these are qualities something many Americans don't possess in large quantities.
    Red rag to a Bull,
    I wonder what our dozen CL American addicks think of that statement !
  • Options
    The problem against Croatia is that we had something to defend and believed we could and Croatia had to go for it. It is a common mentality you have to try to get out of players. 
    How similar was that to the second leg at the Valley when after leading 2-1 from first leg and Bielik early Goal Charlton didn't know whether to stick or twist and while we thought about our options Donny went for it big time. Sunderland did the same at Wembley after taking the early lead from the comic/tragic own goal, Sunderland should but fortunately didn't totally commit for going for the jugular  as for 10 minutes Charlton were there for the taking, after surviving that period, the Cafc cream rose to the top and the rest is history.

Not forgetting the League Cup disaster at the The Valley having beaten Swindon 3-1 away in the first leg.
  • Options

I don't want to think about Modric whacking out anything at half-time, thanks very much.
  • Options
    Red rag to a Bull,
    I wonder what our dozen CL American addicks think of that statement !
    I don't suppose they would disagree - I did say many rather than all.
  • Options
    The problem against Croatia is that we had something to defend and believed we could and Croatia had to go for it. It is a common mentality you have to try to get out of players. 
    How similar was that to the second leg at the Valley when after leading 2-1 from first leg and Bielik early Goal Charlton didn't know whether to stick or twist and while we thought about our options Donny went for it big time. Sunderland did the same at Wembley after taking the early lead from the comic/tragic own goal, Sunderland should but fortunately didn't totally commit for going for the jugular  as for 10 minutes Charlton were there for the taking, after surviving that period, the Cafc cream rose to the top and the rest is history.

Not forgetting the League Cup disaster at the The Valley having beaten Swindon 3-1 away in the first leg.
    My 30th birthday present... Thanks Charlton. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Shut up! I will fight you!
    I know much of this thread refers to the Lionesses but we are not talking Millwall here!
     ;) 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Is that Trump’s interpretation of “Speak softly and carry a big stick”?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    He is currently in a Twitter spout with the joint top scorer in the tournament and look just writing that made my brain hurt.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    He is currently in a Twitter spout with the joint top scorer in the tournament and look just writing that made my brain hurt.
    How big is this World Cup in the US SD?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    The World Cup or Repinoe's spat with Trump?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Good piece here from Bright
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48826243

And I agree with her, there is no way USA are better overall than England. Personally, I think USA are not quite as good but their reputation is carrying them forwards in some peoples eyes. I am judging from what I have seen. We shall see tomorrow, but I am saying England by at least two clear goals!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    This is getting a lot of publicity in England.
    Megan Rapinoe is making the back and front of the British press. She is very feisty and is playing well so far in this tournament.

2-2 in the she believe cup between USA and England but the US team always peak for Olympics and WC. Not sure how fitness will pan out between the two sides. My heart goes with England, My head with USA.
    Score prediction @SDAddick ?
  • Options
    She is entitled to hold the views she has and Trump should keep out of it. Good on her, but she won't need to worry about visiting the White House for a winners reception.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    The World Cup or Repinoe's spat with Trump?
    Read it again.
  • Options
    Stupid remark, people are mostly the same both sides of The Atlantic.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    Good question. I think it's pretty big. Americans like winning at sport, so they'll support their country in most things they win at. And more broadly, women's soccer is pretty big here, both because of the history of success but also because a lot of girls and women grow up playing the game. 

None of this is quantifiable. TV ratings would be interesting, but given the games are on in the middle of the day and with streaming and all that I don't know how good a predictor they'd be. I'd say it's a pretty big sporting event, especially at this point in the tournament. It would be bigger if it weren't for the fact that most matches have been on in the middle of the day on a workday. 

SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    This is getting a lot of publicity in England.
    Megan Rapinoe is making the back and front of the British press. She is very feisty and is playing well so far in this tournament.

2-2 in the she believe cup between USA and England but the US team always peak for Olympics and WC. Not sure how fitness will pan out between the two sides. My heart goes with England, My head with USA.
    Score prediction @SDAddick ?
    Mate, I am notoriously awful at predictions. 

SheBelieves was an interesting one, a more open match than I expect tomorrow. I don't think there's a lot in it. I think there's something to be said for how pedestrian the US made France look. France are not perfect, and have tended to wilt at exactly this stage of tournament with that golden generation, but they're not a bad side by any stretch.

I don't know how England will handle the intense pressing the US are capable of. And I don't know how the US would handle it if England sat deep and had the US try to break them down as they did in the SheBelieves cup (in 2018 I think it was). Also, you can bully the US, and you can certainly rustle their feathers, as Spain did so well (and Sweden did in the Olympics).

I'm going 2-2 AET and then pens. I know it's a cop out, I just think it will be a very close run thing. I think both teams have flaws, I think both teams can be excellent.

Lastly, I have to say Phil Neville has done much better in the job than I predicted. Didn't think he was qualified to take it on, but he seems to have done good things with them, and I feel his tactical acumen has improved in the last...18 months is it? But yeah, tip of the cap there, I was wrong on that one. 

Predicted US team (one change, Horan for Mewis. Mewis has been workmanlike but not brilliant. Horan is less consistent but on her day she's one of the best footballers in the world).

........................Naeher
    O'Hara Dahlkemper Brunn Dunn
    ...........................JJ (Ertz)
    ...........Lavelle (<3) .....Horan
    Heath..................Morgan.........Pinoe (C)

Look out for Mal Pugh coming off the bench. She's largely been a bit part player, but he pace and trickery and directness can cause teams tremendous problems. Personally, I'd probably start her over Heath at least some of the time. 
  • Options
    Thanks @SDAddick, that is a great insight, and you confirmed what I have believed for years, the big difference between the States and the UK is that American girls started playing "Soccer" in kindergarten and carried on to college. You have women from around 50 downwards who have played football and have kept an interest on that side of the pond.
    In the UK, very few women over 35 played football, some may of had kick arounds with brothers and dad's but few played for teams.

When in California 30 years ago, for a month I had the whole system of females playing football from a young age explained and how it would be bigger than men's soccer in the USA by two young players in their twenties.(this has come to fruition because Americans love winners)

My Daughter who is now 24, only played for three seasons from 9 to 12 because she was an athlete and county standard netball player but one game that sticks in my mind was playing a superb Girls team that were daughters of US Servicemen. The Girl that marked my daughter was at 12 built like Millie Bright and wore a gum shield !
    The utter self confidence shown by those girls was amazing.