Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    I think Joe will get his move to the EPL but two or three seasons later than he would have if he stayed in England.

He may be banking on Gerrard getting the Liverpool job eventually and being taken with him? Who knows.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Ts1912 said:
    Was on the bench tonight didnt get on 
    And they're damaging his progression already. 😉
  • Options
    Joe i believe is 22-23 years old.if he wants to play at the top table he should not be poncing around playing teams no better than he played against last year.He will learn nothing from playing maybe 4-5 competetive games a season.Totally the wrong move for him ,no doubt advised by his mr.10 pc.
  • Options
    Have already said it this summer but part of me wonders if Joe and Patrick are seeing our business and maybe regret jumping ship!!
  • Options
    Josh MaGennis stated that the standard of league One was generally higher than the Scottish Premiership after he joined us from Kilmarnock.

He told the Belfast Telegraph: “Celtic are obviously the top team in the Scottish Premiership, Rangers are in there now.  “Aberdeen have earned the right to challenge at the top, Hearts are there while St Johnstone are hard to beat, but I think the overall standard of League One is higher than the Scottish Premiership. It's a lot more physical, but you also have the technical side. It's one of the reasons why I left Kilmarnock - I want to push on with my career.”

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14727744.standard-of-league-one-is-higher-than-scottish-premiership-says-charlton-summer-signing-josh-magennis/
  • Options
    Celtic are lightyears ahead of rangers and just got knocked out of Europe by some milkmen.

Let's not pretend Scottish football is anything other than a poor joke.
    Let's not pretend that Celtic's opponents CFR Cluj are as poor as you say they are. They have previously qualified for the Champions League.
  • Options
    Celtic are lightyears ahead of rangers and just got knocked out of Europe by some milkmen.

Let's not pretend that Celtic's opponents CFR Cluj are as poor as you say they are. They have previously qualified for the Champions League.
    And their main man upfront is George Tucudean. Hmmm. 

If they see off Slavia Prague in the next round, I'll be impressed, but I'm not expecting it.

Two of my best mates are Celtic but they are always very downbeat about their European standing whenever I see them. Even more now, I expect. And then there is Aberdeen, brushed aside last night by Rijeka. It's not very good really, is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is what Gerrard said about him:

"Everyone will go away talking about Joe Aribo and rightly so.

I am not sure how many good players have been at this stadium, but I don't think you will see many better than Joe.

Top players turn up anywhere, it doesn't matter if it is in front of 50,000, or 1500, your standards are always the same and from day one Joe has done that. He was outstanding from start to finish.

He can go as far as he wants. I hope he stays alongside me for many years, but he's got the world at his feet."

• Options
    Couple of Rangers fans in a whatsapp group I am in like Aribo

• Options
    Scored again today. Now 4 goals in 8 games.

"Aribo has shown plenty of promise since his switch from Charlton Athletic and the rangy midfielder already looks undroppable. The 23-year-old stood tall as a natural class act full of flair and industry on the artificial surface, coming close to a goal of the season contender in the second half after dancing past four opponents.

Aribo gave a midfield masterclass and orchestrated Rangers' attacking moves - his jinking runs were a constant danger - but wasn't afraid to do the dirty work, tracking back 40 yards to make key tackles."

Admittedly they were playing East Fife though!!
    Yes, with an attendance of 1,991.
  • Options
    So he bossed it and scored against a team a similar size to Bromley.  Well done that man.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's a nice thought, but I can't imagine they mind as they roll on their beds made of cash. 

Aribo, Grant, Bauer etc be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0JaecRWy0
  • Options

I guess you don't watch much football.
  • Options

Obviously better informed than you are. Cluj have beaten Roma and drawn with Chelsea in previous Champions League games.

They're certainly not a terrible side and operating at a similar level to Celtic. 

Its far too easy to dismiss teams.
  • Options

Obviously better informed than you are. Cluj have beaten Roma and drawn with Chelsea in previous Champions League games.

They're certainly not a terrible side and operating at a similar level to Celtic. 

Well, they are at home to Slavia Prague on Tuesday. Slavia are decent, and in good form, but they don't have any players coveted by the bigger European clubs. Slavia lost twice to Chelsea last season although most Czechs felt proud that they weren't battered out of sight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Henrik Larsson spent 7 years at Celtic before joining Barcelona. I wonder if he looks back and thinks what a waste.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Henrik Larsson spent 7 years at Celtic before joining Barcelona. I wonder if he looks back and thinks what a waste.
    Had he signed for a Premiership club (as the league was called back then), he'd have probably done it in 2-3 seasons... So maybe, yeah?
  • Options

Wasn't that like 11 years ago?
  • Options

Just making the point they have some pedigree - English fans are far too dismissive of teams from Central Europe. These are workmanlike sides that can play football to a level and won't simply roll over.

If you win the Romanian league you can't simply be dismissed given the level Celtic are operating at. 

• Options
    Ts1912 said:
    I don't even pretend not to be bitter about Aribo, not because he left us. But the fact he went to a club that i'm fairly confident we would beat. Backwards move for him, wish he would've gone to Saints, Villa etc.
    Called up to the nigeria squad after his move playing european football. Playing infront of 50k fans every week.  He will develop more at rangers than charlton.  Better players than him have failed up here just look at waghorn.  Holds his own in the champiomship playing for one of the better sides.  He said himself the pressure was to much up here.  Expected to win every game and a draws a bad result.  Some players and good players at that cant handle that pressure.  Hopefully he has 2 good seasons or 3 then no one would stand in his way if an epl club comes again for him.  Charlton would not beat rangers.  Rangers played blackburn and derby pre season and didnt get beat by them.
    I didn't say he should've stayed at Charlton though?  In fact completely the opposite, I'm sure Aribo would've been called up for Nigeria playing well in the championship anyway. They are hardly blessed with talent at the moment. Playing in front of 50k in a pub league doesn't make you a better player, playing against good opposition does... If he had gone to Villa or Saints he would've played in stadiums that size on a weekly basis anyway. Whats the point in Aribo wasting 2/3 years in Scotland when he could've gone straight to the Premier League? Do me a favour about Waghorn too, was averaging 1 in 2 in Scotland and is averaging 1 in 4 in the championship, and for Derby too with serious quality around him (much much better than Rangers)
  • Options
    Ts1912 said:
    I don't even pretend not to be bitter about Aribo, not because he left us. But the fact he went to a club that i'm fairly confident we would beat. Backwards move for him, wish he would've gone to Saints, Villa etc.
    Called up to the nigeria squad after his move playing european football. Playing infront of 50k fans every week.  He will develop more at rangers than charlton.  Better players than him have failed up here just look at waghorn.  Holds his own in the champiomship playing for one of the better sides.  He said himself the pressure was to much up here.  Expected to win every game and a draws a bad result.  Some players and good players at that cant handle that pressure.  Hopefully he has 2 good seasons or 3 then no one would stand in his way if an epl club comes again for him.  Charlton would not beat rangers.  Rangers played blackburn and derby pre season and didnt get beat by them.
    I didn't say he should've stayed at Charlton though?  In fact completely the opposite, I'm sure Aribo would've been called up for Nigeria playing well in the championship anyway. They are hardly blessed with talent at the moment. Playing in front of 50k in a pub league doesn't make you a better player, playing against good opposition does... If he had gone to Villa or Saints he would've played in stadiums that size on a weekly basis anyway. Whats the point in Aribo wasting 2/3 years in Scotland when he could've gone straight to the Premier League? Do me a favour about Waghorn too, was averaging 1 in 2 in Scotland and is averaging 1 in 4 in the championship, and for Derby too with serious quality around him (much much better than Rangers)
    At Villa or Saints he isn't playing for one of the greatest English midfielders ever. He also wouldn't be guaranteed a place like he is at Rangers

• Options

Just making the point they have some pedigree - English fans are far too dismissive of teams from Central Europe. These are workmanlike sides that can play football to a level and won't simply roll over.

If you win the Romanian league you can't simply be dismissed given the level Celtic are operating at. 

I agree with that, but Romanian club football is in a right state, riddled with corruption, and the national TV money pot will be pitiful. And let's remember who laid on their 3rd and scored their 4th. A lot of us thought there might be a player lurking deep inside Goerge Tucudean but he didn't exactly pull up trees after we let him go. Celtic had done the hard work, a score draw in the away leg, it's really crap to go and lose at home, conceding 4 goals, after that to a club at Cluj's level. Or it would be crap if you were an FAPL team, which brings us back to the point we are discussing.

Maybe they will shut me up by knocking Slavia out, but I doubt it.
  • Options

I agree with that, but Romanian club football is in a right state, riddled with corruption, and the national TV money pot will be pitiful. And let's remember who laid on their 3rd and scored their 4th. A lot of us thought there might be a player lurking deep inside Goerge Tucudean but he didn't exactly pull up trees after we let him go. Celtic had done the hard work, a score draw in the away leg, it's really crap to go and lose at home, conceding 4 goals, after that to a club at Cluj's level. Or it would be crap if you were an FAPL team, which brings us back to the point we are discussing.

Maybe they will shut me up by knocking Slavia out, but I doubt it.
    I would expect Celtic to have beaten Cluj but I didn't think they were going to be a pushover. Celtic seem stuck at a fairly low level despite their fanbase and I can't see this improving as Scottish football is falling behind.

If Celtic couldn't beat Cluj they would have struggled against better sides.
  • Options
    Just watched Slavia win 1-0 in Cluj. Pretty comfortable too. Cluj looked toothless and wasted a penalty. 

George was subbed at half-time although in an early version of a stream the BT commentator said i had been a surprise he was starting as he had "unresolved heart problems" which sounds a bit alarming.