Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Robertson was superb at Hearts and at Liverpool. Will Joe Make it in the Premier League ? The defenders are so much better in the premier than the majority of defenders Aribo has come up against in Scotland. Has Aribo become more attacking since Stevie G left ?
    The chances keep falling to him in recent matches. 

It will be quite telling if Gerrard go back to Rangers for Joe or any other player.
  • Options
    No sell on clause other than a minimal FIFA solidarity payment if Rangers sell Aribo.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-not-set-for-any-transfer-windfall-if-joe-aribo-linked-to-palace-leaves-rangers/
  • Options
    Gotta think Villa will be in for him. 
  • Options
    Just opened the scoring at Ibrox today against Dundee, shot from outside the box which took a big deflection 
  • Options
    There's not many SPL players that have transferred directly into the EPL with success. 

Some notable exceptions since 2000: Van Dyke, (Celtic - Southampton 2015), Petrov (Celtic - Villa 2006), Wanyama (Celtic - Southampton 2013), Vidulka (Celtic - Leeds 2000), Maloney (Celtic - Villa 2007). 

Nb. Aribo has just scored for Rangers as I post :smile: , I think he could make a living in the EPL.

• Options
    There's not many SPL players that have transferred directly into the EPL with success. 

Some notable exceptions since 2000: Van Dyke, (Celtic - Southampton 2015), Petrov (Celtic - Villa 2006), Wanyama (Celtic - Southampton 2013), Vidulka (Celtic - Leeds 2000), Maloney (Celtic - Villa 2007). 

Nb. Aribo has just scored for Rangers as I post :smile: , I think he could make a living in the EPL.

I think Ryan Kent is probably the current player in the SPL most likely to have what it takes to make it in the EPL. Aribo isn’t too far behind though and he’s massively stepped up this season. Kyogo at Celtic looks like a good player, but he’s only been in Scotland for a few months so too early to tell if he could cut it in England. 
  • Options
    Watching the 1st half of Rangers Hearts before the GP and Aribo’s scored another cracker to make it 2 0
  • Options
    Nice goal Mo
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Still feel like he's gone sideways for the time being with Rangers - Wasnt he linked with Southampton when he left? 
    He's played 40-50 games a season in front of 50k (barring covid closed doors), won a title (probably 2 by the summer) and will still have years ahead of him if he now gets a bigger move to the PL.

It was fine as a move.
    Aribo coming to Rangers made is why I signed up for this forum. I’ve been preaching what you have said almost verbatim and got mocked. Maybe there are some jobbers in Scotland but there are good players in this league. 

If he ends up staying, which is unlikely, he could potentially be playing CL group stages next season. He has also played knock out europa league for 3 seasons on the bounce. I would love to know how the poster Forever Addicted can call that a sideways move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AllysArmy said:
    Still feel like he's gone sideways for the time being with Rangers - Wasnt he linked with Southampton when he left? 
    He's played 40-50 games a season in front of 50k (barring covid closed doors), won a title (probably 2 by the summer) and will still have years ahead of him if he now gets a bigger move to the PL.

It was fine as a move.
    Aribo coming to Rangers made is why I signed up for this forum. I’ve been preaching what you have said almost verbatim and got mocked. Maybe there are some jobbers in Scotland but there are good players in this league. 

If he ends up staying, which is unlikely, he could potentially be playing CL group stages next season. He has also played knock out europa league for 3 seasons on the bounce. I would love to know how the poster Forever Addicted can call that a sideways move. 

In terms of league football it wasn't a step up at all but it was a good move for him sadly. Like you say he's still young and playing Europa League and also playing in front of big crowds.

Class player and hope he gets to try himself in the premier League. We're just bitter to have lost him for pittance.
  • Options
    AllysArmy said:

It was fine as a move.

6 games in Europe is cancelled out by playing Ross county. There are 5 teams in your top division that would struggle in league 2. 

Rangers and Celtic are only championship standard. Sideways move is a very fair assessment.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    AllysArmy said:

It was fine as a move.

6 games in Europe is cancelled out by playing Ross county. There are 5 teams in your top division that would struggle in league 2. 

Rangers and Celtic are only championship standard. Sideways move is a very fair assessment.
    I was at a Hearts Celtic match and both sides seemed Champs standard to me. On that particular day at least. Hearts certainly wouldn’t have struggled in L2. The atmosphere was probably the most intense I’ve experienced at any game. 
    Aribo was my eldest’s favourite player, and he lost interest when he left. His other favourite was Lyle Taylor, which didn’t help. Kids like to have a favourite player to keep an eye on, and hopefully in the Sandgaard era we’ll hang on to players for longer, which should help get the attendances up. 
  • Options
    The Scottish premier league has a mixture of League One, Championship and low Premier League teams (Rangers/Celtic). It isn't a strong league and Aribo was plying his trade at not a significantly higher level, actually a lower one IMO, than he would have done had he staid with us after promotion.

• Options
    The Scottish premier league has a mixture of League One, Championship and low Premier League teams (Rangers/Celtic). It isn't a strong league and Aribo was plying his trade at not a significantly higher level, actually a lower one IMO, than he would have done had he staid with us after promotion.

I don't think Celtic or rangers are premiership quality. How's the guy that scored loads for Celtic doing at palace (I genuinely don't know the answer and I hope the response backs isn't...he has been injured since September).

if we were in the Scottish league, we would be challenging for third.
  • Options
    When the St Johnstone cup winning Captain can only get a League 1 transfer (Wigan) and a few years ago now, Rooney leaves Aberdeen to go to Salford in the Conference/National League then despite some cracking performances and goals by Joe Aribo, you can understand why Premier scouts and managers are not certain if he can replicate his game to the higher skills of England's top division.
  • Options
    Regardless of what people think of the SPL, it's surely undeniable that it was a good move for Aribo.

We all know the rest of Scottish football is shite but Rangers and Celtic are a good stepping stone into the premier league. Would a league one manager get the Aston Villa job? 
  • Options
    Regardless of what people think of the SPL, it's surely undeniable that it was a good move for Aribo.

We all know the rest of Scottish football is shite but Rangers and Celtic are a good stepping stone into the premier league. Would a league one manager get the Aston Villa job? 
    If it was Steven Gerrard and he'd just won League One and the Papa Johns trophy, yes!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Would Steven Gerrard have got the Villa job if he wasn't Steven Gerrard? I don't think he would have yet. I have to agree though, it was a decent move for Aribo, he's got to win a trophy or two and play in Europe. Although he wouldn't have got either playing in the Championship. I don't think it would have been a worse move to join a Swansea or Blackburn. He would still have been in line to make the sort of progress that has you linked with a 10-15 million move to the Prem. 
  • Options
    AllysArmy said:

It was fine as a move.

Could he not have potentially played in the CL Group Stages this year then? - I stand by what I say about Scottish Football.

Joe could have gone to Moldova and would be playing in the Group Stages of the CL this season - Does that make it a better League than the SPL? 
    That’s fine, I would expect you to say that as a charlton fan, but he’s not moved sideways because he has tested himself at a higher level than he could had he stayed with you to play in the Championship. 

• Options
    Josh Magennis moved from the SPL to league one Charlton in 2016.  Here is what he said on he theme about League One being a step up from Scotland's top-flight.  (from the Belfast Telegraph).

"Celtic are obviously the top team in the Scottish Premiership, Rangers are in there now, Aberdeen have earned the right to challenge at the top, Hearts are there while St Johnstone are hard to beat, but I think the overall standard of League One is higher than the Scottish Premiership. I
    t's a lot more physical, but you also have the technical side. It's one of the reasons why I left Kilmarnock - I want to push on with my career."

Whilst Magennis may not have pulled up trees, he has had an OK career, chalking up over 400 games and 64 international appearances.  

I can't say that Airibo's move was bad in terms of paying the mortgage. Obviously there must be an Adrenalin rush around the Celtic game, but from a purely football perspective he has missed out on playing at the next level.  Had he joined a Premiership club his skills would have been honed and tested week on week, day on day.  He may still get that chance of course, but in my view he will be playing catch up, especially having lost out on two valuable years of youth.

• Options
    Josh Magennis moved from the SPL to league one Charlton in 2016.  Here is what he said on he theme about League One being a step up from Scotland's top-flight.  (from the Belfast Telegraph).

"Celtic are obviously the top team in the Scottish Premiership, Rangers are in there now, Aberdeen have earned the right to challenge at the top, Hearts are there while St Johnstone are hard to beat, but I think the overall standard of League One is higher than the Scottish Premiership. I
    t's a lot more physical, but you also have the technical side. It's one of the reasons why I left Kilmarnock - I want to push on with my career."

Whilst Magennis may not have pulled up trees, he has had an OK career, chalking up over 400 games and 64 international appearances.  

I can't say that Airibo's move was bad in terms of paying the mortgage. Obviously there must be an Adrenalin rush around the Celtic game, but from a purely football perspective he has missed out on playing at the next level.  Had he joined a Premiership club his skills would have been honed and tested week on week, day on day.  He may still get that chance of course, but in my view he will be playing catch up, especially having lost out on two valuable years of youth.

Was an English Premier League club actually an option for Aribo?
  • Options
    If he’d joined a prem club he wouldn’t have had any first team games for them for a while 
    he was never that level back then 

• Options
    Unless it’s silly money, I would expect him to move in the summer rather than January. But I think this will be his (and probably a couple of others in the squad) final season at Rangers before making the move to the English Prem. 
  • Options
    Has his name always been “ Ayodele-Aribo”?

• Options
    Contract is up next year isn't it?  

Experience Rangers to cash in this summer while they can.