Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    If I was Root and Wade tried to chirp at me I would just come back with "sorry who are you? Sub fielder? Haven't seen you do any batting this series."
  • Options
    Wade really is a prize tosser!
    Hard to see what he was doing/saying and looked like umpire told root off and signalled up as if he’d got a warning? Nothing mentioned on TMS. Was it for anything? 
    Both umpires spoke to him and it's not for this particular instance that I say it. If value of a player is put on the difference between how much you have to say and how much you actually produce, Wade would be at the very bottom of the pile.
  • Options
    Every time I've said "Denly needs second innings runs to keep his place" he scores them! Credit due. If he gets out first over after lunch though, is it enough? To be really sure of a winter gig he needs a few more for me 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Every time I've said "Denly needs second innings runs to keep his place" he scores them! Credit due. If he gets out first over after lunch though, is it enough? To be really sure of a winter gig he needs a few more for me 
    He always does enough to keep himself in the side for one more match, but without doing enough to be a permanent fixture in the side, which means he's like the players back in the 80s and 90s when half the team were always one game away from being dropped... Always being under pressure for your place doesn't exactly help relax the mind
  • Options
    Maybe it provides him the focus he needs to be better than the decent county player we all assumed him to be!
  • Options
    Hit painfully in the box this morning, but his wife gave birth to their second child yesterday and two children is enough  :)
  • Options
    “You can’t bowl it at his legs” they said.

i don’t care how good you are, you’re gonna miss one playing cross batted when you’re stepping so far over eventually. 
    Been out 20 times LBW in his Test career but at lot of those were before he changed his technique to cover all three stumps.

There isn't a batsmen in the world that wouldn't like to average 65. And enough analysts of other teams and bowlers have tried to work him out without success - it's a risk/reward strategy but one that simply works for him.
    I read somewhere last week that even if Smith gets bowled out for a duck in his next 35 test innings, his average will still be over 50. Remarkable.

On another note, how on earth is Warner still in their side? The first ever opening batsman to get bowled for 8 single figure scores in a test series. 
    Remarkable and, of course, not true! 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

i don’t care how good you are, you’re gonna miss one playing cross batted when you’re stepping so far over eventually. 
    Been out 20 times LBW in his Test career but at lot of those were before he changed his technique to cover all three stumps.

There isn't a batsmen in the world that wouldn't like to average 65. And enough analysts of other teams and bowlers have tried to work him out without success - it's a risk/reward strategy but one that simply works for him.
    I read somewhere last week that even if Smith gets bowled out for a duck in his next 35 test innings, his average will still be over 50. Remarkable.

On another note, how on earth is Warner still in their side? The first ever opening batsman to get bowled for 8 single figure scores in a test series. 
    32 consecutive ducks? That would be remarkable enough I think.
  • Options
    If Smith gets 47 or more in the second innings he'll overtake Bradman on runs scored. However it will have taken him 124 innings to Bradman's 80.

Smith is incredibly good, but it must have been ridiculous to watch Bradman. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Maybe it provides him the focus he needs to be better than the decent county player we all assumed him to be!
    Current batting averages of opening batsmen in the series, so far... 

Denly 39.33
    Burns 39.00
    Bancroft 11.00
    Harris 9.80 
    Roy 9.50 
    Warner 9.33 

Denly's done enough to be inked in as an opener for the winter tours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Denly and Burns have just beaten the record for the highest opening partnership of the series, set by Denly and Burns in the first innings at the Oval. 
    And it became the highest opening partnership of the Summer - beating Ireland's 32 against us!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:

Denly 39.33
    Burns 39.00
    Bancroft 11.00
    Harris 9.80 
    Roy 9.50 
    Warner 9.33 

Assuming that's his overall average not his average opening?

Suspect he will be back at 3 for NZ with Burns and Sibley doing an impression of surrey 2014/2015.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:

Denly 39.33
    Burns 39.00
    Bancroft 11.00
    Harris 9.80 
    Roy 9.50 
    Warner 9.33 

Suspect he will be back at 3 for NZ with Burns and Sibley doing an impression of surrey 2014/2015.
    That's their averages while opening. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:

Denly 39.33
    Burns 39.00
    Bancroft 11.00
    Harris 9.80 
    Roy 9.50 
    Warner 9.33 

That's their averages while opening. 
    Better than I thought hes done well. 
    Still think he will be back at 3 for the winter 
  • Options
    I hope Jack Leach is ready to be England's main bowler tomorrow, a bit of expectancy on him to be the bowling hero now
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I just checked it out.

He has 6,870 test runs from 122 innings with 16 not out (so 106 innings).

If he scored 0 in his next 31 innings his average would still be over 50. 

So not quite 35 innings but not far off and still pretty remarkable.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Leuth said:

Denly 39.33
    Burns 39.00
    Bancroft 11.00
    Harris 9.80 
    Roy 9.50 
    Warner 9.33 

Absolutely, he deserves another go for sure. 
  • Options
    Really want a denly hundred here. Even more so knowing they would have had him if they reviewed.
  • Options
    Good weekend for Joe Denly, daughter born and now a good innings. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That one delivery, that span off the pitch to dismiss Stokes has probably reduced the lead England need by about fifty. 
  • Options
    Bairstow gone- England 5 down
  • Options
    Bairstow gone- England 5 down
    Honestly not sure what he brings at the moment - not our best wicketkeeper and isn't scoring many runs. 
  • Options
    Gutted for Denly. Was a weird period. The ball had been doing nothing then that one over siddle got it reversing and it did all sorts. Went both ways. Then it didnt happen again after that.
  • Options
    Gutted for Denly. Was a weird period. The ball had been doing nothing then that one over siddle got it reversing and it did all sorts. Went both ways. Then it didnt happen again after that.
    Are you implying sandpaper there, @cantersaddick ;)
  • Options
    Are you implying sandpaper there, @cantersaddick ;)
    Not implying anything. Was just very strange. Hadn't moved off the straight all day. Went round corners for 6 balls and didnt move again until the new ball.
  • Options
    Was hoping to maybe catch a morning or so on Monday at the oval, but seems to me if it gets that far england will be in a lot of trouble. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You'll even get to see twenty minutes of the afternoon session before heading to The Valley
    Was gonna be at the valley but ashes wins this one.
    You made the right decision...
  • Options
    382 ahead with power to add.  England's day, clearly.  Must be strong favourites now.  Well done England's batsmen (and it feels good to be able to say that). 
  • Options
    Psychologically I really want that 400 lead. Should really have been 450 but bairstow and Jos  getting out means that's probably beyond us. 

Would love Leach archer and Broad to have some fun in the morning. A quick 30 or 40 could really demoralise them.