Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Riviera said:
    Test squad for the Ireland game to be announced later today at Canterbury. No Anderson or Archer as both being given more time to get over injuries. Archer may even be kept out until Lords. Also Bairstow a doubt so Foakes may play. The Telegraph (and they are well informed) see it as this:

Likely team v Ireland: R Burns, J Roy, J Denly, J Root (capt), B Stokes, J Buttler, J Bairstow (or B Foakes), Moeen Ali, C Woakes, S Curran and S Broad. 
    Archer has had a niggle, but hasn't played any red ball cricket since last summer. A big call to throw him into the Ashes without any red ball games
    He'll play.
  • Denly has hit form just in time, it seems
  • McBobbin said:
    That team is cack. It will be enough for Ireland I suppose.
    Denly v Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson?.... Yeah right. 
  • We're playing Ireland not Australia! 
  • Riviera said:
    We're playing Ireland not Australia! 
    Its a warm up for Ashes so you might think that this might be line up they are thinking about for Oz. 
  • We all know Denly will score a ton against Ireland and then have an average in single figures when  his tenure for two matches against Oz comes to a close. 
  • We all know Denly will score a ton against Ireland and then have an average in single figures when  his tenure for two matches against Oz comes to a close. 
    Who would you play instead of him?
  • edited July 2019
    Chizz said:
    We all know Denly will score a ton against Ireland and then have an average in single figures when  his tenure for two matches against Oz comes to a close. 

Not a simple answer of course as we all know.

We all want Root to bat at 3, but know he doesnt want to. Need someone nuggety in the David Steele mode, but know there arent that many out there.

i would seriously think about Sam Hain, but other than him there are not many other other options - but, PLEASE, not Denly. However, The Ashes is not a place for throwing youngsters in the deep end.

A serious problem, that we seem to have had for some time. maybe its time for the selectors to tell Root he HAS to bat at 3

I notice in the Lions game v Oz that they are using Foakes at 3- and failed miserably.

• Chizz said:
    We all know Denly will score a ton against Ireland and then have an average in single figures when  his tenure for two matches against Oz comes to a close. 

We all want Root to bat at 3, but know he doesnt want to. Need someone nuggety in the David Steele mode, but know there arent that many out there.

i would seriously think about Sam Hain, but other than him there are not many other other options - but, PLEASE, not Denly. However, The Ashes is not a place for throwing youngsters in the deep end.

A serious problem, that we seem to have had for some time. maybe its time for the selectors to tell Root he HAS to bat at 3

I notice in the Lions game v Oz that they are using Foakes at 3- and failed miserably.

A 23 year old with a batting average under 35? 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

A 23 year old with a batting average under 35? 

Sorta sums it up really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:
    Its a warm up for Ashes so you might think that this might be line up they are thinking about for Oz. 
    Of course it won't be. Players will be rested after the WC, Stokes and Archer for example.  Denly played in our last Test and will probably retain his place. We all know what type of players we need but they simply are not around at the moment. 
  • Squad announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49013831

England squad for Ireland Test: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
  • I'd forgotten all about Leach.
  • edited July 2019
    Slightly surprised Stone has been called up. Only just back from a serious injury and wasn't in the England A squad, unlike say Porter
  • No Stokes or Buttler? Wondering how 5-6-7 will look in the batting line up.
    Roy and Burns opening, Denly 3, Root 4, Bairstow 5, Ali 6 and Curran 7. 
  • Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    Of course it won't be. Players will be rested after the WC, Stokes and Archer for example.  Denly played in our last Test and will probably retain his place. We all know what type of players we need but they simply are not around at the moment. 
     Thats a given, but the people they play in these games are hardly likely to be chosen just for the sake if it. They are going to be first off the rank when rhe time comes.
    Denly, imo, is simply not good enough to be in that rank. 
  • Why do people need resting?  The South Africa game was on the 30th May, the first ashes test is 1st August.  Thats the whole of June and July between.  If you bowled 10 overs in every world cup game, that's 110 overs in TWO MONTHS.  Buttler has kept wicket for 551 overs (although didn't Bairstow keep when he had an injury?). That's 6 days of test cricket over 2 months.

Likely something like this. I read they plan on playing 6 bowlers plus root and Denly in order to manage the number of overs bowled by each bowler.
  • Just come across this. If you're interested feel free to sign and share. Not sure what it'll do but signing won't do any harm.

No, I didn't start it, and no, I don't know why its not a change.org petition.

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/6285
  • Sponsored links:

• There is also a petition going round to rename stoke on tent to Ben Stokes on Trent.
  • Just come across this. If you're interested feel free to sign and share. Not sure what it'll do but signing won't do any harm.

Sorry but what is the campaign? 
    Likely something like this. I read they plan on playing 6 bowlers plus root and Denly in order to manage the number of overs bowled by each bowler.
    Why would they need to manage the workload of the bowlers? Of the WC squad Woakes is the only seamer playing, Anderson and Broad are hardly worn out
    Fair enough - understandable way to go about it. Just hope the batting line up isn’t too fragile and we end up with egg on our face.
    Why would they need to manage the workload of the bowlers? Of the WC squad Woakes is the only seamer playing, Anderson and Broad are hardly worn out
    Anderson coming back from injury. Woakes played a big role in the world cup. Then it'll be a case of using sports science to make sure everyone has enough overs in their legs to be ready but not enough to cause fatigue/risk injury/need recovery time. For the fringe players I think it'll needs of an issue as they will need to try and stake a claim.
  • edited July 2019
    I'd forgotten all about Leach.

I'd forgotten about Stone. Good bowler. But probably wont get much of a look in now with Archers emergence.
  • Riviera said:
    Just come across this. If you're interested feel free to sign and share. Not sure what it'll do but signing won't do any harm.

Sorry but what is the campaign? 
    Cricket on free to air TV.
  • edited July 2019

If i remember correctly, the first Test is being played at Edgbaston - smart move, as last time Australia won there, WG Grace was playing. Similar to how Oz always play the first Test at Brisbane where they havnt lost for ages.

I love Edgbaston, such a ferocious atmosphere , more like a football crowd than cricket.They give Oz such stick.

• Have England announced Bayliss replacement for after the Ashes yet.His departure was announced months ago & I saw today that he's agreed to take over at Sunrisers in the IPL, but I don't remember seeing his replacement announced.

I don't even know who the contenders would be.  Gillespie?  Farbrace?