Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• As if to prove Callum's point I've just seen this:

Test batting averages of
    England batsmen since the start of 2018: Foakes: 41.50 Buttler 40.78 Root: 37.35 Woakes: 33.71 Curran: 31.81 Stokes: 28.92 Cook: 28.66 Bairstow: 26.62 Jennings: 25.63 Stoneman: 24.75 Denly: 24.16 Burns: 22.28 Leach: 21.14 Rashid: 20.41 Malan: 19.90 Ali:16.65
    There is definitely an element of picking players on past achievements. People talk about our strong lower middle order, but those figures are nothing special, Stokes averaging 28.92 or Bairstow 26.62 hardly suggests that they are top 6 quality.
  • Anyone going on Friday in fancy dress? 
  • Well bugger me three ways til sunrise, Joe Root, England Test Cricket Captain, is apparently gonna bat 3 in the first test!  At least according to Kent's own Joe Denly!  What can have happened there?  Has he grown some man minerals and some pubes?  Has Graham Thorpe threatened to take his dummy away?  Of course if the ball moves laterally at all when the convicts bowl he'll be blubbing indignantly about how terribly sub-standard the pitch is and burning reviews on plumb dead lbw decisions.  Joe D will still probably be taking guard in the first hour if the aussies pitch a few in the batsmen's half of the cut strip.  They certainly won't be hastily redrawing their plan of attack, will they?
    Plenty of time for captain cretin to overload his nappy and have a meltdown about it though.
    I'd love to be wrong about the snotty little berk and I'm sure there'll be a few on here champing at the bit to put me in my place.
  • Well bugger me three ways til sunrise, Joe Root, England Test Cricket Captain, is apparently gonna bat 3 in the first test!  At least according to Kent's own Joe Denly!  What can have happened there?  Has he grown some man minerals and some pubes?  Has Graham Thorpe threatened to take his dummy away?  Of course if the ball moves laterally at all when the convicts bowl he'll be blubbing indignantly about how terribly sub-standard the pitch is and burning reviews on plumb dead lbw decisions.  Joe D will still probably be taking guard in the first hour if the aussies pitch a few in the batsmen's half of the cut strip.  They certainly won't be hastily redrawing their plan of attack, will they?
    Plenty of time for captain cretin to overload his nappy and have a meltdown about it though.
    I'd love to be wrong about the snotty little berk and I'm sure there'll be a few on here champing at the bit to put me in my place.
    I must say Stig your cock is full of thunder today 😉
    do you not rate Joe Root? 
    Whatever gave you that idea 
  • As if to prove Callum's point I've just seen this:

Test batting averages of
    England batsmen since the start of 2018: Foakes: 41.50 Buttler 40.78 Root: 37.35 Woakes: 33.71 Curran: 31.81 Stokes: 28.92 Cook: 28.66 Bairstow: 26.62 Jennings: 25.63 Stoneman: 24.75 Denly: 24.16 Burns: 22.28 Leach: 21.14 Rashid: 20.41 Malan: 19.90 Ali:16.65
    There is definitely an element of picking players on past g8achievements. People talk about our strong lower middle order, but those figures are nothing special, Stokes averaging 28.92 or Bairstow 26.62 hardly suggests that they are top 6 quality.
    There is also an element of picking the right players for the wrong reasons and the wrong players for the right ones.

Remember Denly originally got in the test squad so he could bat in the lower middle order and bowl some leg spin, now he is England's number 4.   Bairstow and Stokes should be selected as batsmen, and know they are.   If Bairstow doesn't like it drop him and play Foakes and move Butler up the order.  If he can't keep and bat at 4 tough. 

Stokes can't keep being selected as an all rounder when he doesn't bloody bowl.  Look how responsible he was batting in the world cup, when he knows he won't bowl his ten and has to bat well to stay in the side.

Poor Mo Ali doesn't know if he is a batsman that bowls, all rounder, or bowler that bat's. An opener, a number 3, 5, 7 or a number 9.

You don't see these problems in the ODI squad. 
    Whatever gave you that idea 
    I was getting the hint of a vibe last week..... 
  • Ali is our frontline spinner and has presumably been told to focus on that. At least with him there's a clear plan. The top order? Anyone's guess 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this going to be the team then (with Woakes possibly coming in for Archer or Broad)?

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Denly
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Archer
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Is this going to be the team then (with Woakes possibly coming in for Archer or Broad)?

Burns
    Roy
    Root
    Denly
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Archer
    Broad
    Anderson
    Woakes for Archer I'd imagine, not sure they'd want to risk Archer's side injury so soon

• How anyone, including the England managment consider going into a test match in England with out Woakes in the team really blows my mind. 
  • Woakes for Bairstow, surely 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    How anyone, including the England managment consider going into a test match in England with out Woakes in the team really blows my mind. 

Because, in terms of quality, he is probably our 3rd/4th bowler atm , pretty simple really.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    How anyone, including the England managment consider going into a test match in England with out Woakes in the team really blows my mind. 

Because, in terms of quality, he is probably our 3rd/4th bowler atm , pretty simple really.

Sorry, which team leaves out their 3rd/4th best bowler?  Espically one that could bat at higher than 8?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sorry, which team leaves out their 3rd/4th best bowler?  Espically one that could bat at higher than 8?
    The team that has a 4th bowler who bats at 5.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who doesn't bowl
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who doesn't bowl

Is that why he's in the team as an all-rounder?
  • edited July 2019
    I'm hearing that the Aussies will definitely play Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon.
    Therefore it is likely only one of Starc, Siddle or Hazlewood will play.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm hearing that the Aussies will definitely play Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon.

Interesting,you would have to think that Siddle would be the one to make way, unless, of course, one of the others has a niggle.
  • I'm hearing that the Aussies will definitely play Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon.

Interesting,you would have to think that Siddle would be the one to make way, unless, of course, one of the others has a niggle.
    It is being suggested Starc won't play, which is a massive surprise to me if so.
    But as I said, if true only one of the three will play so both Starc and Siddle could miss out.
  • edited July 2019
    I'm hearing that the Aussies will definitely play Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon.

It is being suggested Starc won't play, which is a massive surprise to me if so.
    But as I said, if true only one of the three will play so both Starc and Siddle could miss out.

Wow.
    Yes, of course it would only be one of those 3 that would play.
    I wonder what the thinking is behind Starc not playing?
    Serious depth when you can leave out one of those 3. Lyon's an excellent bowler, but if the pitch looks like being seam friendly I'd be tempted to leave him out instead, especially as the weather won't be super warm
  • I'm going on Sunday, so hoping it gets that far.
      I'm going. Not in fancy dress though.
  • I'm going on Sunday, so hoping it gets that far.
    I'm worried about how much play I'll get to see on Saturday...
  • Mitchell Starc could be a shock omission from Australia’s team for the first Ashes Test here on Thursday after coach Justin Langer confirmed he would definitely play James Pattinson in his pace attack.

Starc took 27 wickets at the World Cup, ending with six more than any other bowler, and had 22 victims as Australia routed England 4-0 in the previous Ashes series, too.

Pattinson, who has struggled with a succession of injuries including a back problem that required spinal surgery in 2017, will play his first Test since February 2016.

His return gives Australia the luxury of selecting one of Starc, Josh Hazlewood or Peter Siddle. As the top-ranked Test bowler, Pat Cummins is locked in to the XI for his first Test in England and the fourth member of the attack will be spinner Nathan Lyon.

Langer admitted: “There’s probably three to be fair, (Starc), Peter Siddle and Josh Hazlewood for one spot.

“Three pretty good players to try to find a spot for, I reckon.”

Langer also confirmed that he will have Usman Khawaja back from a hamstring injury at No3.

There are two other contentious spots in Australia’s XI. The first is who will partner David Warner at the top of the order. There is no great concern from the Aussie camp about Warner’s fitness after he took a blow on the left thigh having inside-edged off the uncapped seam bowler Michael Neser at training yesterday. Cameron Bancroft, who was banned for nine months for ball-tampering, looks to have the edge over Marcus Harris for that spot.

With Khawaja over his setback and Steve Smith and Travis Head batting below him, the other position up for grabs is No6. “Usman Khawaja will definitely be in, he’s fit, ready to go and he’s playing well,” said Langer.

I'm going. Not in fancy dress though.
    Same. 
  • Siddle has been bowling well for Essex, Mr dependable