Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Can England risk Archer and Anderson in a Potential 2 1/2 day test match when both have been struggling with injuries ? 
    With our batting I can't see matches lasting too long ...
    I don't think Australia's batting form is anything to write home about... 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19429/scorecard/1169648/graeme-hick-xii-vs-brad-haddin-xii-tour-match-haddin-xii-in-england-2019
    Could be a bowlers series again, both teams have strong pace attacks but lack more than a couple of quality batsman each. 
  • It's going to be a low scoring series which makes for exciting cricket. 
  • Chizz said:
    Can England risk Archer and Anderson in a Potential 2 1/2 day test match when both have been struggling with injuries ? 
    With our batting I can't see matches lasting too long ...
    I don't think Australia's batting form is anything to write home about... 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19429/scorecard/1169648/graeme-hick-xii-vs-brad-haddin-xii-tour-match-haddin-xii-in-england-2019
    That is true, but then they were facing their own high class bowling on a spicy deck - Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Siddle, Bird and Nesser are all a real handful at the best of times.

I think it comes down to a bit of a shoot-out between Root/Bairstow versus Smith/Warner - can't see anybody else on either side getting many runs - particularly our top three, which is the weakest it has been for a long, long time.

The greatest problem is that our batting stocks are at an all time low, and those that had been identified as filling some of the holes (Habeeb, Jennings, Stoneman, Pope etc) - have all failed to make the most of their opportunities.

Agree about Archer not playing the first test, he hasn't played FC for a long time, and it may be of benefit to bring him in at Lords, rather than going with him first up.
  • Think Stokes can get good runs for us. 
  • edited July 2019
    Think Stokes can get good runs for us. 
    If we've got a couple of hundred on the board when he comes out. 
  • edited July 2019
    Looks like gonna be damp and overcast. 

better hope The Aussies lose that toss 
  • Sky sources : Joe Root to bat at 3 in 1st Ashes test.

I think that's absolutely huge 
  • Do you reckon that means they are going for all 5:seamers?
  • Or dropping Roy or Denly to 4?
  • People seem to be suggesting that means Denly will be dropped as he's not really an opener these days, though personally I'd play him over Burns who looked in terrible nick against Ireland
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like it'll be burns and Denly to open with Roy at 4. That's what all the papers are saying.
  • Baffles me how Sibley or Crawley haven't been given a go. Burns' technique is so suspect against consistently good bowling
  • Seems like it'll be burns and Denly to open with Roy at 4. That's what all the papers are saying.
    Just looked at the Grauniad and they were suggesting Roy opening and Denly at 4!

Still struggling to fit in all of England's middle order and bowlers, seems harsh to drop Curran or Woakes and would we go in without a front line spinner? 

• Baffles me how Sibley or Crawley haven't been given a go. Burns' technique is so suspect against consistently good bowling
    To be fair, everyone was clamouring for Burns last year, as through sheer weight of runs in the CC over last few seasons he deserved a go. Don't think he should be discarded yet.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Baffles me how Sibley or Crawley haven't been given a go. Burns' technique is so suspect against consistently good bowling
    To be fair, everyone was clamouring for Burns last year, as through sheer weight of runs in the CC over last few seasons he deserved a go. Don't think he should be discarded yet.
    Out of form now though, only averaging 37 this season at a time when batsmen have generally been finding it easier to score. Northeast and Sibley are both averaging over 62 this season

• I know its not Ashes, but I found it intriguing that Archer wanted to Review the wide off first ball of the Super Over ! Until Morgan told him you cant do that.
    Interesting point though.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Baffles me how Sibley or Crawley haven't been given a go. Burns' technique is so suspect against consistently good bowling
    Yeah I was asking for Burns last year, but he has had more than enough chances imo 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Yeah I was asking for Burns last year, but he has had more than enough chances imo 

Agree he is out of form but more than enough chances? Really? The guy has played one home test match? Is that all we are giving people now?. Deserves some time at home to see of he can do it.

He has played 2 short series away from home in places where he has never played before -  thanks to the old boys club network nature of the England u19s and lions squads.
  • how can anyone settle into test cricket if they fear being kicked out so soon ?

• edited July 2019
    MrOneLung said:

Agree he is out of form but more than enough chances? Really? The guy has played one home test match? Is that all we are giving people now?. Deserves some time at home to see of he can do it.

He has played 2 short series away from home in places where he has never played before -  thanks to the old boys club network nature of the England u19s and lions squads.
    I just think 7 Tests against 3 of the worst Test playing nations at the moment (Ireland, West Indies & Sri Lanka) is enough to get worried about how he will far against arguably the best seam attack in the world
  • Sponsored links:

I might have it wrong but I thought that Burns and Roy were going to open and Denly is to bat at 4 
  • Its far too late now but I think kicking Bell out of the side when we did was a huge mistake, Could've been bringing 1 or 2 players into the team rather than trying to bed 3/4 in at the same time
  • Joe Denly confirms he's batting at 4 (the tweet doesn't say anymore)

• I wish him the best of luck, and hope he can prove me wrong.
  • Joe Denly confirms he's batting at 4 (the tweet doesn't say anymore)

The reason Root needed to bat at 3 was we had 3 walking wickets in front of him.  It's shuffling deckchairs stuff this. 

Root 3 and Bairstow 4 if it means JB doesn't keep, hard cheese. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Joe Denly confirms he's batting at 4 (the tweet doesn't say anymore)

The reason Root needed to bat at 3 was we had 3 walking wickets in front of him.  It's shuffling deckchairs stuff this. 

Root 3 and Bairstow 4 if it means JB doesn't keep, hard cheese. 
    Bairstow on recent form (the last 2 years) isn't a Test number 4 batsman though. Indeed that's part of the problem, it's not just the newbies at the top of the order who are failing, Bairstow on the ICC ratings is now below 600, while Moeen is now well below 500, a long way down on their peak scores. Moeen's bowling score has held up well though, and indeed our attack as a whole looks strong

http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/ranking/test/batting/

http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/ranking/test/bowling/
  • As if to prove Callum's point I've just seen this:

Test batting averages of
    England batsmen since the start of 2018: Foakes: 41.50 Buttler 40.78 Root: 37.35 Woakes: 33.71 Curran: 31.81 Stokes: 28.92 Cook: 28.66 Bairstow: 26.62 Jennings: 25.63 Stoneman: 24.75 Denly: 24.16 Burns: 22.28 Leach: 21.14 Rashid: 20.41 Malan: 19.90 Ali:16.65
  • rarely can I recall a weaker top five than the probable England line up for the first test .. Burns, Roy, Denly, Root, Bairstow .. the Aussie quicks are salivating at the prospect of bowling at that lot
  • Bairstow averages something like 23 over the last two years. He should be dropped for Foakes IMO.
    I love Bairstow but that stupidly loose cover drive he plays nearly every test to get bowled boils my blood!