Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Anyway, i'm not rejoicing in the fact that Ireland have a shit cricket team, like in most other sports.
  • iainment said:
    Blimey. 11 wickets, a late start for rain and a rain break before lunch.
    England win easily but the first day gave Ireland the moral victory. 
    Not really.

If it had been close then yes, but i feel today has more than ruined their first days play.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    I assume Woakes has already been on the Lords board?
    Both
    He is one of about 5 on all 3, but I dont know what the 3rd one is. 
    I thought it was 10 wickets in a match. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chizz said:
    I assume Woakes has already been on the Lords board?
    Both
    He is one of about 5 on all 3, but I dont know what the 3rd one is. 
    I thought it was 10 wickets in a match. 
    He does have an 11 for, against Pakistan in 2016
  • edited July 2019
    el-pietro said:
    This is a humiliation Ireland don’t deserve tbh.

The potato pickers deserve everything they get tbh.
    Where is the report functionality gone? This is flat out racism.

Aw gawd, lets serve the racism card when personal expériences dont fit.
    Nope. 
    They’re right. 
    Its racism. 

Lets put it this way, The Irish give the English a worse name in Luxembourg.

My experience, sorry.

And in my experience the British behave very unfavorably abroad, throughout the world. 
    But do I disrespect every single British person but tarnishing them all with the same brush? 
    No. 
    Why?
    Because I’m not an arse and am not racist. 

Aw gawd, racism always comes out when there is no other argument. So sad.

There’s no other argument because you’re being racist. 
    If you said that out loud, someone heard it and took offense you could be arrested for it. 
    No argument. 
    Saying it on a message board is no different. 
    The only sad thing here is you clearly don’t understand that. 

In fact, admins, I don’t like doing this. 
    But in fear of you closing this thread, which I really don’t want, can you please have a word. 

I say it out loud all the time here - not been arrested yet.

really poor behaviour bringing out the racist card - seems to be the backstop (sic) for a lot of people - really poor behaviour.

• el-pietro said:
    This is a humiliation Ireland don’t deserve tbh.

The potato pickers deserve everything they get tbh.
    Where is the report functionality gone? This is flat out racism.

Aw gawd, lets serve the racism card when personal expériences dont fit.
    Nope. 
    They’re right. 
    Its racism. 

Lets put it this way, The Irish give the English a worse name in Luxembourg.

My experience, sorry.

And in my experience the British behave very unfavorably abroad, throughout the world. 
    But do I disrespect every single British person but tarnishing them all with the same brush? 
    No. 
    Why?
    Because I’m not an arse and am not racist. 

Aw gawd, racism always comes out when there is no other argument. So sad.

There’s no other argument because you’re being racist. 
    If you said that out loud, someone heard it and took offense you could be arrested for it. 
    No argument. 
    Saying it on a message board is no different. 
    The only sad thing here is you clearly don’t understand that. 

In fact, admins, I don’t like doing this. 
    But in fear of you closing this thread, which I really don’t want, can you please have a word. 

I say it out loud all the time here - not been arrested yet.

really poor behaviour bringing out the racist card - seems to be the backstop (sic) for a lot of people - really poor behaviour.

ignorance is worse, rather than accept you have offended people you are trying to justify it.

• I come from an overwhelmingly Irish background and I don't see any racist intent. Typical CL storm in a teacup. 
  • And back to the cricket...

Good practice defending a low total today.  Get the feeling we'll need it during the Ashes.
  • Sponsored links:

• I come from an overwhelmingly Irish background and I don't see any racist intent. Typical CL storm in a teacup. 

Personally I didn't feel the comment was to me, but when 4-5 people say it is, clearly it is to someone so they should take that on board rather than just their own opinion.
    I'm a 100% Irish citizen, child of two Irish parents, living in Ireland. It was a derogatory racist comment and he refuses to back down from it, if anything explainign exactly how his experience has lead him to dislike all Irish people. Textbook racism.
  • Cmon @The_President you should know by now that Americans and Belgians are fair game on here but don’t ever mock the Irish 
  • Christ.

I'm not Irish at all and I want to just talk about the cricket.
    Me to mate. 
    Good win in the end.
  • Woakes played well.

Think he was in danger if we decided to go with Archer and Broad but can't see him not being picked given that and his record at Edgbaston.
  • Woakes played well.

Think he was in danger if we decided to go with Archer and Broad but can't see him not being picked given that and his record at Edgbaston.
    I think Archer might struggle to get in again now. Woakes bowled well and is on his home ground and a motivated Broad is not to be sneezed at. It could come down to him or Jimmy and, if fit, Jimmy wins that one.
  • Christ.

Why bring religion into it?

That's just asking for trouble.

;)
    Amen to that 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Christ.

Why bring religion into it?

That's just asking for trouble.

;)
    The Irish bloke who captained England’s World Cup team, the other week started it by saying Allah was on their side.
  • LenGlover said:
    Woakes played well.

I think Archer might struggle to get in again now. Woakes bowled well and is on his home ground and a motivated Broad is not to be sneezed at. It could come down to him or Jimmy and, if fit, Jimmy wins that one.
    Could depend on the forecast maybe?

Looks like it'll swing - Anderson and Woakes priorities.  Doesn't - Archer.

Or if it's not spin friendly maybe all 4, doubt that though.
  • johnnybev1987 said:
    I come from an overwhelmingly Irish background and I don't see any racist intent. Typical CL storm in a teacup. 

Personally I didn't feel the comment was to me, but when 4-5 people say it is, clearly it is to someone so they should take that on board rather than just their own opinion.
    It really wasn't aimed at a specific poster. I just don't understand people getting so wound up by other people's words. My response is to shrug when people say things I don't like even if the comment is in some way personal. 
  • Anyway, I'm back to supporting the English...!

Hope the batting questions are miraculously answered before the Ashes. 
  • edited July 2019
    Woakes played well.

I think we are in danger to getting dragged into a battle of trying to beat the Aussies at their own game. We are playing the ashes in English conditions on English pitches, let's play the English way.

That means 2 bowlers whose primary skill is to swing the ball. Anderson (obviously) and Woakes (though his skill set is much greater than 'just' a swing bowler). Sam Curran as back up for this role. Stokes is 4th seamer and can bowl reasonably quick as well as get the ball to move off the surface. So the other seamer spot for someone who offers something a bit different. Broad for his nous and extra bounce, hits the deck hard etc. Or Archer/Wood for extra pace. I'd be happy with any of them bit would love to see Archer and Wood rotated for fitness and used in short spells. 

Put in too many out and out quicks and you play into the Aussies hands. We won't beat them at their own game. We will beat them with clever swing and seam movement and a varied attack.
    Do you think they will risk Anderson and Archer with Stokes as a 4th Seamer?  For what ever reason he doesn't seem to bowl as much as he did, and imo should. Is it work load managment or is it injury?

Woakes has to play and take the new ball with Jimmy IMO, harsh on Broad but it should have been this way for a while now.  If Stokes is up to being 4th quicks it's either Broad or Archer for me.  

If they won't bowl Stokes too much and the lack of a world class spinner you need to pick your best 4 quick to take 20 wicket, again in my opinion. 
  • I think we are very lucky with the pace bowlers we have, still the big question is 1 2 and 3 in the order if Root bats at 4, I would like Root at 3 have not seen much of Sibley, Burns had a poor game but Denly was unlucky and deserves a chance, I would like to see Roy at 4
  • Channel 5 trying to stretch the highlights out to an hour is painful.