Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Play resumed. Restricted view ticket isn’t restricted. Direct access to aisle. £15. One pina colada down. Winner. 
    Who’s @les_says cheering on?
    He wore an England shirt with green shorts! 
  • Never liked the Aussies ever since Rolf Harris tied up an innocent Kangaroo. 
  • the only way to improve other nations cricket is playing on the big stages against thr top teams. Bangladesh being an example
    Not necessarily by giving them test status though. all bar about 2 of their team today (mostly over 30) had been with English counties for development. This is very unlikely to happen now. As they have test status they would be counted as an overseas player. Not many Irish players are likely to be considered good enough for that prospect. I was sat next to an Irish guy who had a cricket loving lad, about 9 or 10, who had to go 65 miles to get to any cricket coaching. The sum total of the coaching was him being told to "just hit it". Nothing about technique. He predicts that Irish cricket will go backwards very fast now, 
  • Cmon @The_President you should know by now that Americans and Belgians are fair game on here but don’t ever mock the Irish 
    I'm hoping I'm allowed to keep calling the Aussies convicts during the Ashes!! 
  • redman said:
    Cmon @The_President you should know by now that Americans and Belgians are fair game on here but don’t ever mock the Irish 
    I'm hoping I'm allowed to keep calling the Aussies convicts during the Ashes!! 
    Good job Ben Stokes was found not guilty.
  • I think we are very lucky with the pace bowlers we have, still the big question is 1 2 and 3 in the order if Root bats at 4, I would like Root at 3 have not seen much of Sibley, Burns had a poor game but Denly was unlucky and deserves a chance, I would like to see Roy at 4
    It was great watching Sky earlier today. During the break for rain around noon Atherton & Hussain named their 11 for the 1st Ashes Test next week. Hussain simply put down Player 1 & Player 2 for the openers as he said that there was currently no-one around who could comfortably fill those spots. He then named about a dozen of the previous openers (apart from Cook) & basically said choose 2 from them. 

Sad state of affairs. 
  • I see Joffra Archer was involved in another tied match Sussex v Surrey last night and good to see Ollie Pope fit again playing for Surrey
  • redman said:
    the only way to improve other nations cricket is playing on the big stages against thr top teams. Bangladesh being an example
    Not necessarily by giving them test status though. all bar about 2 of their team today (mostly over 30) had been with English counties for development. This is very unlikely to happen now. As they have test status they would be counted as an overseas player. Not many Irish players are likely to be considered good enough for that prospect. I was sat next to an Irish guy who had a cricket loving lad, about 9 or 10, who had to go 65 miles to get to any cricket coaching. The sum total of the coaching was him being told to "just hit it". Nothing about technique. He predicts that Irish cricket will go backwards very fast now, 
    They can't, currently, be classed as overseas.  They are EU citizens thus share the same rights as anyone that plays for England.  As its an "all Ireland" team that would stay the same for the Northern ones.

Not sure how the RFUs have got away with their selection policy for so long. 
  • If someone had said beforehand that Ireland would lose by 143 runs, I would have taken that, somewhat disappointed by the result in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:
    Funnily enough I have never met an Irishman I didn't like .As far as cricket is concerned I think its such a great shame it ended this way .A close result either way would have been much better for the sport. 

Not sure now if someone plays for Ireland that they can cross the divide and still play for another test nation a la Rankin or Morgan 

But well played Ireland..Irish fans are always welcome in any sport 
    Just had a quick look, it appears that Sammy Guillen is the only player, since the 1800s, to play for 2 test playing countries at the time when both were test playing countries.  A few played for India then Pakistan, a few played for South Africa then someone else when they were band.

The problem maybe that if Ireland produce another Morgan, would they commit to Ireland knowing they would qualify to play for England in their early 20s, at the latest, through resistance on the basis they would be playing County cricket? 
  • As far as the test 11 is concerned 

Lyth
    Roy
    Denly 
    Root
    Buttler 
    Stokes 
    Bairstow..
    Woakes
    Leach 
    Broad
    Jimmy 

I have hesitated to pick roy as I think the Aussies will know how to get him out...I considered Vince as he plays straight..Lyth plays straight..Burns has done well to get so far witb an odd technique..its clear he's not up to it.I have high hopes for sibley long-term 

Denly has a technique..he shd be told to score 35 runs a session... although the skipper shd be there 

Bairstow has gone backwards as a proper bat so I have put him in a proper keepers slot 

Ali is a busted flush as a batsman I'd give leach a run as the support spinner as I think he 'll be feeling more confident and the Aussies will be less used to him 

• England squad for first Ashes Test: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
  • Riviera said:
    England squad for first Ashes Test: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
    That's a big squad for a home test.  Plus it doesn't include 3 of the MOMs from the last 5 tests England have won.  The other 2 aren't in a lot of people's teams in the position they won the mom from.

Either there are big concerns over Anderson and Archer or England still don't have a clue about the balance of the team.  Intresting that Stokes is back as vice captain. 
  • Riviera said:
    England squad for first Ashes Test: Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
    Playing two with gloves might not be permitted! Or is the inference that Bairstow might not be in the side?
  • Denly, Curran and Stone to miss out? Johnny B at 3?
  • CHG said:
    Denly, Curran and Stone to miss out? Johnny B at 3?
    Or Denly to open instead of Burns?
  • The plot thickens - Stokes and not Buttler is vice captain
  • It's probably happened before, but it's unusual for the man of the match in one home test match is dropped for the next one.
  • Chizz said:
    It's probably happened before, but it's unusual for the man of the match in one home test match is dropped for the next one.
    Since last summer England have won 5 tests, 5 different MOMs, 3 of them not in this squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Never liked the Aussies ever since Rolf Harris tied up an innocent Kangaroo. 
    at least he didn't shag it .. allegedly
  • First I've heard about this, looks interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4jf9_HnBnk&feature=youtu.be
  • Riviera said:
    First I've heard about this, looks interesting

Have just ordered the DVD from Amazon
  • That looks superb, gonna have to get a copy of that
  • Can England risk Archer and Anderson in a Potential 5 day test match when both have been struggling with injuries ? 
  • Can England risk Archer and Anderson in a Potential 2 1/2 day test match when both have been struggling with injuries ? 
    With our batting I can't see matches lasting too long ...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    redman said:
    the only way to improve other nations cricket is playing on the big stages against thr top teams. Bangladesh being an example
    They can't, currently, be classed as overseas.  They are EU citizens thus share the same rights as anyone that plays for England.  As its an "all Ireland" team that would stay the same for the Northern ones.

Not sure how the RFUs have got away with their selection policy for so long. 
    Agree that sounds right. I was just repeating what I heard. perhaps some-one was thinking post Brexit but we won't go there. 
  • Can England risk Archer and Anderson in a Potential 2 1/2 day test match when both have been struggling with injuries ? 
    With our batting I can't see matches lasting too long ...
    I don't think Australia's batting form is anything to write home about... 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19429/scorecard/1169648/graeme-hick-xii-vs-brad-haddin-xii-tour-match-haddin-xii-in-england-2019
  • Riviera said:

DVD? What decade are you living in?
  • Riviera said:
    Riviera said:

DVD? What decade are you living in?
    I collect them. As I do CDs. And records. I hope that's OK?