Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    Play to start at 12.10. 
    Daughter asked me this morning.......why dont they just close the roof like they do at Wimbledon   ?

Genuine question.......do think this might come in one day...??
    The roof at Wimbledon cost somewhere in the region of £100 million, covers the whole of Centre Court and allows all scheduled matches to go ahead, as planned and extends the play on each day they're used. To put a roof over Lord's, would be prohibitively expensive as the whole ground (much, much wider and longer than a tennis stadium) would have to be covered, to an enormous height, in order to accommodate the height of all the stands, the pavilion and the media centre, and be much higher in the middle. 

What would the cost of placing a retractable roof over that be?  £1bn maybe?  And that would only save the insurance cost of rain-affected tickets (ticket money is refunded on rain-affected days by means of insurance, not a straight refund from the ticket providers).  So if it saved, on average, one full day's play a year, at 30,000 tickets, each at an average of £100, that would be £3m worth of refunds, but maybe ten per cent of that would be the actual cost saving.  So it would take around 3,333 years to pay off the cost.  

And that's just one ground. 

I think it would be far cheaper to build a new, covered ground somewhere. 
  • Options
    England now 11/1, Australia 50/1.  I think that gives the lie to Australians' claims that they're not a one-man team. 
  • Options
    well played Ben Stokes
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If I was captaining the side I would try and get a lead of about 250 to 260 (depending on how many overs are left) and give it a go.  Root won't do that though. He will be ulstra cautious and wait until Aussies need 5 or 6 an over before declaring.  I am still chuckling that they can get a replacement for a like for like for Smith. Where do you get that from? He is superhuman.Said himself he has brusing on his arm and altough painful he would be ok wth the arm.  I am praying that he is ok with the concussion side of things as a human being. 
  • Options
    Lead of 165 at lunch. I dont think Root will go for the win until we have another 100 runs or so. 

As per my original post a few days ago, a draw is now favourite. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Assuming this is a draw and we  move on to next test 1-0 down, we would have a great chance of winning the next test if Smith fails a fitness test.

If that comes to fruition it would be devalued without the idiosyncratic genius Smudger ?

We take the victory and put it down to karma !

• Options
    As least we shouldn't lose from this position. 
  • Options
    well batted Ben and Jos. >Shows what the roller does to the pitch for morning session.
    ok 165 ahead now. If we can get to 200  then let Jos and Ben do their 'normal' stuff and see if we can get quickly to 260  then put them back in - what with Smith not batting, Archer could do some serious psychological damage to the others , especially Smiths nominated replacement - lets stick it up 'em.
  • Options
    even if we cant win, its time to put the shits up their batters without Smith.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Cmon Rudders, you're showing your Charlton roots there ! Think positive man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Cmon Rudders, you're showing your Charlton roots there ! Think positive man.
    Hang on a minute President I had us down for 60-6 last night and be all out for 160 today. I have gone from definetly lose to shouldn't lose. Give me some credit lol 
  • Options
    Did someone say we could play until 7.30pm tonight weather permitting?  We could have done with Roy and co having a good old bash for an hour or so after lunch. 
  • Options
    We have a big enough lead to really go for it now.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Did someone say we could play until 7.30pm tonight weather permitting?  We could have done with Roy and co having a good old bash for an hour or so after lunch. 
    What about Stokes and Buttler having a good old bash 15 mins after restart ? after all, they were our nominated pair in the Super Over. Which leads me to the fact that Morgs had Roy coming in at 3 for the Super Over but changed his mind during the over to be himself as he felt left-hander would be better.
  • Options
    I have not been watching it Mutley as watching soccer show on Sky but flicked over. How may overs left in the day?  With no Smith and 9 wickets to get this is the time to really try and turn the screw.  In my head I allow for about 4 runs an over to defend.
  • Options
    As The president alludes to. A few overs of Butler and Stokes could take it beyond the Aussies quite quickly. If you are more afraid of defeat than victory, you should be managing Sunderland.
  • Options
    There is another strategy they could be following.  (And I really hope they aren't).  

The strategy might just be to bat all day.  To put overs into the legs of the Aussie fast bowlers, with just a few days until the next test.  

I think that strategy might cross the England management's mind.  If it does, I hope it doesn't stick. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Never has one team relied on one batsman so much: Warner hasn't turned up so far.

Must be worth giving it a go if we can get to 220 quickly  and work out potential overs left ?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    There is another strategy they could be following.  (And I really hope they aren't).  

The strategy might just be to bat all day.  To put overs into the legs of the Aussie fast bowlers, with just a few days until the next test.  

I think that strategy might cross the England management's mind.  If it does, I hope it doesn't stick. 
       Very much doubt that. It's not like we've had 5 days in the searing heat. They only bowled 70 odd overs at us in our first innings.
  • Options
    It was either Sheff Utd versus Palace or cricket. Decided to watch Cricket. As I am now watching. I will jinx it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here you go. Told ya. I am watching it. We lose a wicket. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Well batted Jos - thought he played really well.
  • Options
    They are obviously going for it. 
  • Options
    Paine having a "nice" conversation with Stokes after that over.  To be fair the bowler didn't think it was out anyway. 
  • Options
    This test has a feel of the 50 overs WC about it. Bring back the likes of Boycott to bore us to death.  
  • Options
    Aussies getting tetchy with the tech. Lyon moaning that the ball was spinning & DRS didn't take that into account.

I just think water has got into the works......it has rained a bit over the past few days.
  • Options
    Aussies getting tetchy with the tech. Lyon moaning that the ball was spinning & DRS didn't take that into account.

I just think water has got into the works......it has rained a bit over the past few days.
    If the ball had turned off the pitch, Stokes would have hit it.  The only reason he missed it is because it didn't turn. Petulant and tetchy by Lyons and the Aussies.   Great to see! 
  • Options
    A six, followed by a reverse sweep. Game on now. 
  • Options
    ha ha ha ha ha no reviews left. 
  • Options
    Paine you cheat. Wasn't even out anyway.