Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    An astonishing  days cricket.
  • Options
    Agree

That afternoon session reminded me of the Windies in the 80’s.

How Smith was not seriously hurt was a miracle....shocking viewing.

Totally engrossed this afternoon, thank goodness Lyle scores after Root went for a Golden.

Test cricket is dead - huh !
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    ...maybe.

Perhaps there's room for an outsider, a Brearley figure, who can bat well enough. Lewis Gregory seems like a fine leader 
    Burns? 

As good as any opener we have had in recent years. Experienced captain in the county game and has won the county championship. 

Unless there is an obvious outstanding candidate then I am not a fan of having a bowler do it and certainly wouldn't want an all rounder doing it.
    Burns might make a good captain.  But making him captain now would be the worst thing for him as a player.  He should be allowed to carry on making runs - he's proving quite good at that so far. 
  • Options
    As a short term solution, I'd be happy to make someone like Broad captain for the series. He's got a good cricket brain, and being captain he might have to think about reviews more!

Don't agree with the "can't be a bowler" idea. Indeed a bowler would naturally be thinking more about field positions anyway. Let the batsmen concentrate on making runs
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So, what do we all think for tomorrow, as I now dont think a draw is favourite, purely because I dont think we have enough grit to be able to bat long enough.

Will England get enough to put pressure on The Aussies 2nd innings.... maybe 200 + ??

Will England be all out before lunch, leaving The Aussies needing around 160 - 180 in 70 odd overs...??

Interesting first hour tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Agree about 1st hour

Two of the most explosive batters in the world got to stumps at a 30% strike rate.

IF we get to 200 lead there is a chance, albeit slim due to Smith being ok. If we get bowled out 1st session or shortly after Lunch - all over.

What gets me is that Lyons turned it square, 2 hours earlier Leach got nothing out of the pitch.

Would be vilified for trying but a 💯 ball partnership off 60 balls would be useful tomorrow by Stokes and Buttler 😂
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I think we will get beat. Austalia will only need about 160 to win.
    If we end up drawing then it will be a bloody miracle !!

I had very high hopes this Ashes series.

We were regularily getting 400's etc in the last couple of years.

Is it becausee the opposotion are not as good us as and we are way better?
    We used to always get quick runs.

However, since the World Cup, our perfomances have been poor?

1) Are the batsmen not good enough?
    I disagree.
    I think they are good enough.

2) Are they underperforming?
    I would say yes.
    However, why are they underperforming?
    Is it fatigue, loss of form, not batting in the right positions?
    Coaching not good enough.

I feel Root needs to bat further down the order.
    However, since becoming caprain, how many 50's or 100's has he got?

3) Is it his captaincy?
    I watched the 1st test and not only is Smith an expceptional batsmen but I feel as a captain as well.
    Even though he is not captain, in that 1st test he was encouraging everbody, guding the bowlers and was always hands on.
    Root (for me hasn't really led the team).

4) Bowlers.
    Apart from Woaks, Broad and now Archer we have no real good bowlers.
    Yes, Anderson is a fantastic bowler. But, without writing him off, he is now 37. 
    He can't go on forever and even Broad and Woakes are in their 30's?
    Can you name me any decent bowlers or batters than can replace this lot?

I can't. 

However, lose or draw tomorrow, this is not the time to change.

Let's wait until the series is over. 

Just my opinion and thoughts. 
  • Options
    160 - yes, if we only get 54 runs with 6 wickets in hand tomorrow we certainly deserve to lose.
  • Options
    As a short term solution, I'd be happy to make someone like Broad captain for the series. He's got a good cricket brain, and being captain he might have to think about reviews more!

Don't agree with the "can't be a bowler" idea. Indeed a bowler would naturally be thinking more about field positions anyway. Let the batsmen concentrate on making runs
    What would be the chances that we would still have any reviews left after Broad's first over? 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    We're going again tomorrow. 98 overs in the day & can play until 19.30.
    I think England need a 200 lead to be in with a shout. 250 lead & I think we have a good chance, time permitting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will be glued to it, that’s for sure - could be a classic
  • Options
    Only Australia can win this. We will never declare with a total they could chase down and we will not score quickly enough for us to bowl them out. 
    We can however be bowled out for an easily obtainable target. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

What would be the chances that we would still have any reviews left after Broad's first over? 
    If he was the captain he'd have to think more carefully

Funnily Lyon is the anti Broad in that respect, as he twice missed reviews today!
  • Options
    The draw is odds on. Eng 6-1, Aus 3-1. Tempted to back both sides to win !
  • Options
    It’s a tough one for England. Their best chance of winning is probably getting bowled out for 200ish and bowling the Aussies out. However, if we are 200 ahead with three or four wickets in hand, it’ll be a brave decision to declare. Lose and it’s goodbye Ashes. Mind you, I don’t see us winning 2-0 or better in the last three if this ends in a draw, but just maybe Jofra will have engendered a bit of fear in the Aussie camp. He needs a big performance in the next game if this ends as a draw.
  • Options
    The draw is odds on. Eng 6-1, Aus 3-1. Tempted to back both sides to win !
    What are the odds for a tie?

The way both sides (Smith excepted) bat I'd say all four results are still very much on.
  • Options
    Our batting is poor, but, smith excepted, so is australia’s. I do think archer and jimmy combo later in the next few tests will swing it our way.
  • Options
    If we lose this we will lose 5-0. There won't be coming back from it.

I'm backing the draw.

I think there will be a period of introspection for this side after this series. Change of tack and a change of personnel. 

Have to disagree with whoever it was above who said we lack bowlers after borad archer Anderson and woakes.

I think Wood, Stone and Sam Curran will have something to say about that. I also think there is a good crop of young fast bowlers in county cricket who will be hitting their prime in a couple years time. 

Its spin bowlers(and top order batsmen) I worry about. Virdi will play for england but i want to give him 3 years of county cricket first to really know his game. But other than him who is doing it I'm county cricket? Will Harmer qualify for England in a couple years time? Will we overlook his 4 tests for SA? ;) who else is there? Bess? Batty? That's about it.
  • Options
    Our batting is poor, but, smith excepted, so is australia’s. I do think archer and jimmy combo later in the next few tests will swing it our way.
    Jimmy will make the 4th test at best and that is with a run out as a guest for Derbyshire v Aussies prior.

Unfortunately at 37 I think he will struggle for the 4th.

Bowlers are the least of our issues.

Smith will win The ashes single handled for the Aussies I fear. As @cantersaddick has highlighted this could be a drubbing.

With our current team, the top order need to do so much better. I like Denly for Kent but is he really a test player...

As for Roy - what an induction ! Harsh!
  • Options
    England need to play the series tomorrow and not the test. They need to bat long tomorrow and allow butler, stokes and bairstow time at the crease. Draw tomorrow, don’t try to win as that will mean we loose. 3 matches left and win two, bat players into form
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    great days play in prospect.
  • Options
    I wonder if Archer might get up to the magic 100 mph one-day.

• Options
    In response to comments on here about protection of the batsman I would like to add the following:

(1) Arm guards - some players that don't wear them say that they find them "inhibiting". It's only when they get hit that they do then consider doing so!

(2) Extra protection helmets or stem guards added to normal ones - have read the Australian guidance notes but to me anything that adds an extra layer of protection cannot be a bad thing. The cost of a stem guard is in the region of £40-£50 which can take the total cost with the helmet to £200 so that in itself for a club cricketer is a big outlay.

• Options
    What price Root gets his way to go back to batting at 4 before this series finishes?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    We need a fifty today from at least 1 of Buttler,Stokes or Bairstow, or the combination of 8,9,10,11.
    Yesterday,Oz were in a similar situation at 80-4 overnight, but only lost 1 wicket in morning session. I would be happy for us to lose max of 3.
    If we can set them in excess of 220 to win and then unleash Archer, i think we could win this - as Athers says, in situations like this, its normally a losing arm-wrestle for the team batting 4th , once they start to lose wickets then it usually becomes a steeper,faster slide- especially if the side batting 4th is normally just trying to save the game- but the key is to get beyond that 200 mark.
  • Options
    Two early wickets and 200 will seem a long way off. These two need to extend the lead to 150+ without a wicket falling because we can win this game. Interesting day ahead.
  • Options
    Pissing down in central London at the moment.
  • Options
    Stokes and Buttler might as well come out swinging. Playing for the draw isn't going to end well. 
  • Options
    I can see bad light ending this just when all 4 results are possible. 98 overs to be bowled today & we only got 91 yesterday (plus 2 lost due to change of innings  ??). I believe we can play until 7.30pm so time shouldn't be an issue, but umpires have the final say on bad light & I cant see them changing their stance on what has been a recent occurrence.....ie no logic. 

No recreating the heroics of Pakistan when Hussain was captain. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Play wont start until 11.30 at least according to Sky