Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Options
    I’m transfixed by Smith’s routine between every ball. 
    He touches his left pad, then right pad, then box, then left thigh guard, puts his feet in his stance, puts the bat behind his right foot and looks at his bat, then he's ready.  And he says the most important bit is looking at his bat.  He *has* to be able to see it next to his feet, without anything in the way.  That's why he tie his shoelaces to his socks, to prevent them flapping away and getting in the way of his view of his bat.  

Odd chap, really! 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    And after every ball he does a light sabre move with the bat, walks 4 steps away, touches back of shirt, practices 2 block shots then comes back to crease and does the routine above. Even when bowler running in he does this repeat dipping move on his front leg. 
  • Options
    And after every ball he does a light sabre move with the bat, walks 4 steps away, touches back of shirt, practices 2 block shots then comes back to crease and does the routine above. Even when bowler running in he does this repeat dipping move on his front leg. 
    I just wish he'd do it somewhere else
  • Options
    I can understand him being very supersticious. At Wembley in the play off final in 1998 when penalties were taken. Just before each penalty it  was touch my left leg, then my right leg, then left arm, right arm then back down again. I am just as bad with my front door and car door. Front door. Even though I lock it. I have to check it 4 times, then I walk away and then come back again a few seconds later to double checkit is doubly locked. Car door, I am exactly the same. Therefore I fully understand Smith;s routines. Althoguh it is very funny to watch and as a bowler when you are struggling to get him out it must wind up the bowlers. 
  • Options
    Get your spinner into the game, Root!
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I can understand him being very supersticious. At Wembley in the play off final in 1998 when penalties were taken. Just before each penalty it  was touch my left leg, then my right leg, then left arm, right arm then back down again. I am just as bad with my front door and car door. Front door. Even though I lock it. I have to check it 4 times, then I walk away and then come back again a few seconds later to double checkit is doubly locked. Car door, I am exactly the same. Therefore I fully understand Smith;s routines. Althoguh it is very funny to watch and as a bowler when you are struggling to get him out it must wind up the bowlers. 
    Are you free next week?   And do you have any cricket kit? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If we can *just* manage to bowl them out below the follow-on figure, we can have a go at winning by an innings before Tea...
    OK, Plan B...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Get your spinner into the game, Root!
    He has bot used him once. 
    Either just before lunch yesterday or today. 
    I would have given him a couple of overs just to see if there is any spin. 

Root is too re-active and nit proactive..  the gmae just drifts with him. 
  • Options
    A lot of post on here question root as a captain. Who would people like to see instead?

Butler - Not sure if he deserves his place in the team
    Stokes - bat, bowl, captain would be difficult 
    Broad - great bowler but has he got leadership qualities
    random from county cricket?
  • Options
    Woakes would make a great captain 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England bowling well this morning.
    At this rate OZ will still be 50 ish behind should we get to new ball. 
  • Options
    ...maybe.

Perhaps there's room for an outsider, a Brearley figure, who can bat well enough. Lewis Gregory seems like a fine leader 
  • Options
    Or, from way out in left field, Wayne Madsen. 

Or dear old Eoin lol 
  • Options
    England's men's team has had 80 different captains, from James Lillywhite to Joe Root.  Only six have achieved more wins than Root.  If there were another player that had the confidence of the selectors that he'd always be picked, and who had an exemplary record captaining, say, a county side, then there might be a good reason to switch.  I don't think there is. 
  • Options
    May be bowling well to restrict the run scoring but we needed quick wickets this morning to win and we haven’t got them..... draw looking ever more likely 
  • Options
    Australia know that if they bat all day, England can't win the game. 
  • Options
    Anyone else find Smith boring ?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Are you free next week?   And do you have any cricket kit? 
    I am too small mate. 
    Ball will fly over my head and hit the wicket. 
  • Options
    Who is the best Test batsman of all time? 

Smith must be up there IMO.

Hundreds in both innings in your first game for 16 months? Behave.
    Bradman is by a long long way, followed by tendulker, Lara, sir Viv, etc. 

Hes definitely up there in the modern era, but not of all time. 
  • Options
    Don’t know why we don’t just put in a short leg to disrupt smith’s walk off to the leg side after every ball. Just get him to stand in his way and unsettle him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Afraid not, he’s a fantastic batsman
  • Options
    4 pints in on an empty stomach took a pic to remind me what it looked like later 
    They will be coming off for bad light soon.  You can't see the Shard in that photo. 
  • Options
    " We want Smithy out, say we want Smithy out !"
  • Options
    He’s hurt. Awww. Shame. 
  • Options
    Ouch. Would not like to see Smith retired through injry. 
  • Options
    Why would you face Archer without an arm guard?
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Ouch. Would not like to see Smith retired through injry. 
    No, but if he can’t run through his weird routine through injury that would be good. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Why would you face Archer without an arm guard?
    Yeah, That is pretty stupid. 
  • Options
    Afraid not, he’s a fantastic batsman
    Great batsman maybe in terms of runs but personally, i just find him boring to watch. Nudge to leg side, nudge to leg side, nudge to leg side,light sabre stupid tourettes movements.
    Kohli, Viv Richards,KP, Tendulkar, or Smith ? I know who i have at the bottom of the list in terms of entertainment.