Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• A draw must be odds on.....90% I'd say. Surely we are the only ones that could win it now.....as @ThePresident said, get them all out by early afternoon tomorrow with a 80-100run lead & then bat the rest of the day, leaving them Sunday to survive.

Being England though it wouldn't surprise me if Oz bat all day tomorrow & an hour on Sunday.....then bowl us out  inside  2 sessions .

You've just said that we are the only ones that could win it and then described accurately a straightforward route to how Australia win from this position! 
  • Ok that's close of play.
    Been drinking since 11am.
    Funded by the 50% refund, as less than 30 overs bowled.
    Super smashing lovely. 

• edited August 2019
    We can quite possibly bowl them out by lunchtime - and then play a one day game for two sessions before having Sunday at them.

Its as likely as them winning it!
  • Ok that's close of play.
    Super smashing lovely. 

*Fewer 

😉
  • Chizz said:
    Ok that's close of play.
    Super smashing lovely. 

*Fewer 

😉
    Bless. Don't forget to pull your trousers up :-) 
  • Chizz said:
    A draw must be odds on.....90% I'd say. Surely we are the only ones that could win it now.....as @ThePresident said, get them all out by early afternoon tomorrow with a 80-100run lead & then bat the rest of the day, leaving them Sunday to survive.

Being England though it wouldn't surprise me if Oz bat all day tomorrow & an hour on Sunday.....then bowl us out  inside  2 sessions .

You've just said that we are the only ones that could win it and then described accurately a straightforward route to how Australia win from this position! 
    What I meant was that we SHOULD be the only ones able to win it from here......but wouldnt put it  past Smith to get a century (again) and then Lyon to spin them to victory. 

They shouldnt have won the 1st Test but they did. We had them 118/8  & let them off the hook. Can easily see it happening again. 
  • Postponed cinema to Sunday evening. Got smashed around Paddington basin with work collected instead. Now having race home with husband. He got food and getting Sidcup line. I’m on eltham line. Need to sober up for tomorrow! 
  • Question to @suzisausage

Can you see the Shard ?

Answer.
    I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day.

• I get the impression that today's pre-lunch session could define the rest of the series.
  • We need to try to get Steve Smith out for a low score ?  Say 50(high for some players but low for smudger)   100 lead on 1st innings and game on.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Who is the best Test batsman of all time? 

Smith must be up there IMO.

Hundreds in both innings in your first game for 16 months? Behave.
  • England will get smith cheaply this morning.  It will be his only irrelevant innings of the series. 
  • Chizz said:
    I get the impression that today's pre-lunch session could define the rest of the series.
    I think the opposite, this Test will peter out to a draw.

Sadly I think Smith batting away for hours will define this series.

World class batsman, sub par human.

Bradman surely?

Bradman. It's about the only non-contentious issue in the history of cricket! 
  • Okay, clearly. 

I suppose I meant in what we would recognise as the modern era. 
  • Depends when the modern era starts.

Lara was the best I've seen.
  •  soapboxsam said:
    Question to @suzisausage

Can you see the Shard ?

Answer.
    I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day.

I can barely open my eyes so can’t see much at all!

Bradman surely?

Of the players I have seen Viv Richards, but Bradman must be the all time greatest
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Who is the best Test batsman of all time? 

Bradman. It's about the only non-contentious issue in the history of cricket! 
    I swear if we had reviews back in the day no way would  Donald Bradman have a test  average of 99.94.

About 98.94 I would imagine  :o
  • Depends when the modern era starts.

Right now, I can imagine ways of getting Smith out. When Lara was at his peak, it was impossible to work out how to do it. 

So, as dominant as Smith is right now, I'd prefer to be playing against him than Lara at his peak. Butt I'd also put Tendulkar in that category too. 

The other Australian in that category was Steve Waugh in 1989. And the worst thing about him was that you had to get through four, very good top order batsmen to get to him.
  • Other than the panto villain Warner who hasn't found form yet Steve Smith is a John Le Carré book in the middle of Jeffrey Archer's vacuous works.
  • Chizz said:
    Depends when the modern era starts.

Right now, I can imagine ways of getting Smith out. When Lara was at his peak, it was impossible to work out how to do it. 

So, as dominant as Smith is right now, I'd prefer to be playing against him than Lara at his peak. Butt I'd also put Tendulkar in that category too. 

The other Australian in that category was Steve Waugh in 1989. And the worst thing about him was that you had to get through four, very good top order batsmen to get to him.
    Hee hee, you said 'butt'.
  • I don't understand. We need wickets. We have Woakes and Archer but Stokes is bowling still when we need wicket.s.  As for getting Smith out. Our best chance was when Smith was being disturbed by a wasp !! 
  • Chizz said:
    Depends when the modern era starts.

Hee hee, you said 'butt'.
    Good grief!  I will have to blame @Rossman92 for that.
  • If we can *just* manage to bowl them out below the follow-on figure, we can have a go at winning by an innings before Tea...
  • I’m transfixed by Smith’s routine between every ball. 
  • Very good catch
  • Wade gone. Just as tms were bigging him up.