Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Rain toward heading to NW8.

The thoughts on TMS is that when it starts that’ll be it for the day 
  • can anyone enlighten me .. lbw .. if the ball is deemed to be going on to hit the stumps but pitches outside the leg stump, why is that called 'not out' ?
    I think it's to stop constant negative bowling down the leg side whilst overloading the fielding on that side.
  • can anyone enlighten me .. lbw .. if the ball is deemed to be going on to hit the stumps but pitches outside the leg stump, why is that called 'not out' ?
    can anyone enlighten me .. lbw .. if the ball is deemed to be going on to hit the stumps but pitches outside the leg stump, why is that called 'not out' ?
    To stop “body line” bowling, as in bowling at the body rather at the stumps. It was used to devastating effect in 1932-33 ashes, after which it was outlawed. It’s also why you cannot have more than 2 fielders behind square on the leg side.
  • edited August 2019
    can anyone enlighten me .. lbw .. if the ball is deemed to be going on to hit the stumps but pitches outside the leg stump, why is that called 'not out' ?
    To stop “body line” bowling, as in bowling at the body rather at the stumps. It was used to devastating effect in 1932-33 ashes, after which it was outlawed. It’s also why you cannot have more than 2 fielders behind square on the leg side.

However, if you are going to be bowling 'bodyline' you are not going to get anyone out lbw anyway..

Its also so that the 'standard' rough created by bowlers isn't a key element of bowlers bowling leg-spin around the wicket from the other end.Which is why they talk about the rough causing problems for left-handers.
    Makes sense to force bowlers to bowl outside off to right-handers and not defensively outside leg.

I think if the ball pitches outside the off stump, the umpire cant give it out because he cannot be sure it is going to hit the stumps, I think its a silly rule because with ball tracking you can see where the ball goes

I think if the ball pitches outside the off stump, the umpire cant give it out because he cannot be sure it is going to hit the stumps, I think its a silly rule because with ball tracking you can see where the ball goes
    which was disapointing as where it hit the batsmen it was clearly in the middle of the sumps. That's the reality but then hey ho it's the rules and same for everybody. 
  • So it looks like rain for the rest of the day but will be fine for Sat and Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
  • Umpires defo don’t want to start again. Brollys up. It’s not even raining at the moment. 
  • edited August 2019

Not the case.

If the ball pitches offside off, and hits the battter outside the line of off-stump then he's not out. If it hits him in-line of the off-stump (or any other stump) then he's out - (as long as DRS decides thats its going to hit the stumps).

Pitching outside leg is a different matter - if it pitches outside leg, he cant be out lbw,full stop.

Hope this clears matters.

• Sponsored links:

Not the case.

If the ball pitches offside off, and hits the battter outside the line of off-stump then he's not out. If it hits him in-line of the off-stump (or any other stump) then he's out - (as long as DRS decides thats its going to hit the stumps).

Pitching outside leg is a different matter - if it pitches outside leg, he cant be out,full stop.

Hope this clears matters.

... as long as the batsman is playing a shot.

If he's shouldering arms or hiding the bat behind the pad (and therefore, in the umpire's opinion, is not playing a shot) and gets hit outside off stump then he can still be given out.

Correct, thanks Briston.

We have laws not rules 
  • We are in the pub. We didn’t get pass outs. We booked tickets for cinema and now there is an inspection at 4.30. Damn and blast. 
  • edited August 2019
    We are in the pub. We didn’t get pass outs. We booked tickets for cinema and now there is an inspection at 4.30. Damn and blast. 
    An inspection does not necessarily mean play later.

Bad light might well be a factor today even if it is considered dry enough.
  • I have just done an inspection outside my front door in Greenwich and it is drizzling so doubt if there will be any more play today Suzi. I think they will call it a day and back for tw. 
  • Gone from Pitch Inspection to Rain Delay now. 
  • Covers coming off. Inspection at 5.20pm. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Covers coming off. Inspection at 5.20pm. 
    My worry is that they decide they can play at say 6:15, by which time the heavier evening rain will arrive

Lord's must have made a fortune from alcohol sales today, especially as it's Friday...
  • Who knows with a bit of luck Steve Smith may have been frustrated in the dressing room and has a wayward shot (or misjudges and LBW). Now if we can nick a couple of wickets tonight... 
  • Rudders22 said:
    My worry is that they decide they can play at say 6:15, by which time the heavier evening rain will arrive

Lord's must have made a fortune from alcohol sales today, especially as it's Friday...
    Are you suggesting that Lord's doesn't always make a fortune from alcohol sales during a Test Match? 

:wink
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Rudders22 said:

Are you suggesting that Lord's doesn't always make a fortune from alcohol sales during a Test Match? 

:wink
    Rainy days are even better as there's none of that cricket stuff getting in the way of the drinking!

And unlike Wednesday, no 100% ticket refunds either...
  • That's it for the day. No more play. We played well today. 

• The latest rain radar gives great promise......

of a fuckload more rain 
  • i think the only way we might get any result now is if we can roll over Oz for 160 or less tomorrow, then rack up enough to make them bat for the whole day on day 4 - weather permitting of course.
  • i think the only way we might get any result now is if we can roll over Oz for 160 or less tomorrow, then rack up enough to make them bat for the whole day on day 4 - weather permitting of course.
    It's Day 4 tomorrow, certainly don't want them batting all day if we are to win!

Almost impossible to win this one, although the fragile batting line ups of both sides could provide a minor miracle!
    It's Day 4 tomorrow, certainly don't want them batting all day if we are to win!

Almost impossible to win this one, although the fragile batting line ups of both sides could provide a minor miracle!
    yeah thanks 1990, meant day 5.

yeah thanks 1990, meant day 5.
    I do agree though, we need to get them by the middle of the afternoon session at the latest. Just not sure I can see that happening. Get Smith early though and that could change. 
  • Left at 1pm, still drinking around Baker St. 
    and that is far from impossible
  • A draw must be odds on.....90% I'd say. Surely we are the only ones that could win it now.....as @ThePresident said, get them all out by early afternoon tomorrow with a 80-100run lead & then bat the rest of the day, leaving them Sunday to survive.

Being England though it wouldn't surprise me if Oz bat all day tomorrow & an hour on Sunday.....then bowl us out  inside  2 sessions .