Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Reading's wages in 2014, five years ago. Read it and weep. Does this looks skewed by a few top players? No. Since then, their wage bill has gone to £35M. You do the math. £10k/week gets you a nice bench warmer. I am not trying to argue, just show the facts as can be found online. Don't shoot the messenger. My ten minutes are up for the day. Have a good one. #rolandout

• My questions would be:

1. How accurate are these numbers - i never believe salaries given online and   
    2. Assuming they are accurate, how many of these contracts were given by Championship clubs rather than given by clubs in the PL who then had to carry them when relegated.

Amdy Faye was rumoured to be on about 20k with us if i remember correctly when we were Championship but no way we offered any new players that and that salary was hurting the club who were desperate to get shot.

i don't doubt out of contract players of Aribo quality could get £15-20k in the Champ but still think it is not routine for at least half the clubs here.
  • Interesting post about Reading 2014, Napa. 

Don't forget though, bolstered by parachute payments, Reading had been relegated from the Prem the previous season, and kept much of that side together in the hope of an immediate return to the Prem - but missed out on the playoffs by a last minute winner to Brighton, who themselves took Reading's place ..... fine margins and all that!

Definitely not a typical Championship budget of 2014.

• That Reading squad is awful, the money spent on that is shocking.
  • That Reading squad is awful, the money spent on that is shocking.
    One poor sod only got £250. He must have felt hard done by.

Unless he's the tea lady.
  • Oggy Red said:
    That Reading squad is awful, the money spent on that is shocking.

Tea boy.
  • edited June 2019
    All very quiet considering Bowyer said hopefully 5 or so in by next Friday. 
    To be fair no-one had said anything about Bonne until the evening before it was announced. Let’s see where we are this time next week.
  • The key point to remember @NapaAddick is that the league isn’t won by the teams that spend the most money.

The Premier League usually is but the Championship most definitely isn’t.

There’s an adage about working smarter, not harder to produce better results. I think we can loosely apply that to players wages in our recruitment policy.

And do you know what? I trust Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen to pull it off.
    I do too. It was vital we kept the management  team together, they are the key. 
  • The key point to remember @NapaAddick is that the league isn’t won by the teams that spend the most money.

The Premier League usually is but the Championship most definitely isn’t.

There’s an adage about working smarter, not harder to produce better results. I think we can loosely apply that to players wages in our recruitment policy.

And do you know what? I trust Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen to pull it off.
    Love the positivity! Hopefully we will see some new players next week. I think we will need 5 quality Loans in the starting line up.  A few good frees we will be ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• FYI..... Villa, with parachutes, here was their wage bill last year, by player. Aribo for Villa would have been the 5th LOWEST paid player on their entire team at £20,000/week, tied with some guy named "Gary Gardner." And when you look at the skew, there is not really a big one. 14 of the 18 players made over a mil per year. That is not skewed at all. That is your standard bell-curve. How does CAFC ever compete with this kind of spending? Answer... it can't. PS- look at what Steer makes.

You realise that's just someone's guess, not official.

And median IS an average, same as mean and mode.
  • edited June 2019
    All very quiet considering Bowyer said hopefully 5 or so in by next Friday. 
    To be fair no-one had said anything about Bonne until the evening before it was announced. Let’s see where we are this time next week.
    Today is all about getting through to Aribo that the quality of the championship will develop him more than a very poor Scottish league. 

Hopefully Bowyer signing, Glasgow being a dump and Aribo's family being down south will persuade him to stick with the progression path he's on with us.

Other signings will come next week when training recommences.
  • Where is our pre season tour that Bowyer refers to in that article?
  • edited June 2019
    Scoham said:
    Wooaaahhhh we should be keeping Forster-Caskey.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-agree-midfielder-deal/

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-was-fully-aware-of-charlton-athletic-fallout-if-he-had-walked-away-from-the-club/

Also having talks with Dijksteel and Taylor to extend their deals and hoping to keep Aribo.

Bowyer hoping for 3/4 signings by next Friday, then making that 4/5 soon after. Says “maybe a few loans” as well which will presumably come in later on.
    Bowyer is creeping into Powell man love levels for me 
    I don’t think I’ve ever been more happy with someone as our manager as I am with Bowyer. I trust everything he says and does.
    Rather like the days also of Lennie Lawrence and The Curbs, I feel that we are in the best possible hands
  • Oggy Red said:
    That Reading squad is awful, the money spent on that is shocking.

He might've only had to come in one day a week.

• The Villa wage bill is ridiculous,yes they got up,but look at some of the figures,Jedinik 40.000,Hutton 30.000,I would not have put either of these in our team last year,Most of those players wont do it in the premier league,thy will have to get more players on 40-50.000 and the bill will go even higher,and then several of the big earners wont get a game I bet the Norwich and Sheffield bills were no where near this.,good management and scouting can easily out do over spending and desperation.I am just living for the day when these so called big clubs start to go tits up,it will come.
  • Sponsored links:

• FYI..... Villa, with parachutes, here was their wage bill last year, by player. Aribo for Villa would have been the 5th LOWEST paid player on their entire team at £20,000/week, tied with some guy named "Gary Gardner." And when you look at the skew, there is not really a big one. 14 of the 18 players made over a mil per year. That is not skewed at all. That is your standard bell-curve. How does CAFC ever compete with this kind of spending? Answer... it can't. PS- look at what Steer makes.

And they certainly haven’t got a Scott McGinn playing for them.
  • Scoham said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-to-agree-midfielder-deal/

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-was-fully-aware-of-charlton-athletic-fallout-if-he-had-walked-away-from-the-club/

Also having talks with Dijksteel and Taylor to extend their deals and hoping to keep Aribo.

Bowyer hoping for 3/4 signings by next Friday, then making that 4/5 soon after. Says “maybe a few loans” as well which will presumably come in later on.
    Ditto. I always had huge respect for Powell but Bowyer just seems to talk and act so sensibly which can't be easy under the mad man. Also he obviously knows what he is doing. If he sticks around l can well see him becoming every bit as well liked and respected as Powell. 
  • I think Eaves will definitely be signing. Heard the wage is lower then he would have liked but a fairly generous bonus per goal is being negotiated. 
    Think he was on 1.5-2k tops at gills . So he will get a payrise for sure. 
  • Scoham said:

I don’t think I’ve ever been more happy with someone as our manager as I am with Bowyer. I trust everything he says and does.
    Praps Curbs ?

But not that far fetched given that a lot of them were signed on premier league contracts.