Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• We will see after Joe and Bowyer meet tomorrow
  • Looks like a Benfica fan thinks they might sign Aribo

https://twitter.com/grandmastersuck/status/1141727643739525120?s=21
  • edited June 2019
    CatAddick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    There's probably at least seven or eight teams who are not paying a player 25k a week
    Just because it's an 'average' wage doesn't necessarily mean that's what a large number of Champ players are actually paid.

Aston Villa reportedly paid out £73m on wages last season. And other big clubs recently relegated from the Prem are still paying out some huge contracts they've been saddled with from that time.

That's going to heavily distort the figures, compared to a significant number of clubs who manage on much smaller budgets without parachute payments or a sugar daddy.

Even within an individual club, there's going to be disparity between many of the squad players.
    Their star striker is going to be paid far more than their reserve fullback.

For it to be truly meaningful, I believe that we have to have actual examples of individual contract, rather than some hypothetical 'average'.

That's what i'm sort of saying the top eight are probably on very big wages, with the rest on a lot less, it was more of a reply to @NapaAddick who keeps saying it's the championship average.
    You really need to see the distribution/min/max to see if a few teams are skewing the ‘average’.  I’m guessing that the parachute teams have a significantly higher wage bill than the mid-table teams and massively higher than the paupers
    In addition, there will often be large discrepancies within clubs. Sarr will be on a lot more than Dijksteel for example.
    A couple of years ago, Airman reported that Sarr was our highest earner, on about £275k p.a.

• I am seriously crossing all fingers and toes that Joe Aribo becomes their Andy Delort.

If you search twitter their fan base is genuinely unbearable. They haven't got a clue about Joe and all they're doing is constantly gloating. If he goes I hope it's somewhere like Southampton
    George Edmondson is just the sort of player we should be going after, young and likely to go up in value significantly.
  • I currently do and never had any hope we would keep Aribo so if somehow we do I’ll absolutely buzzing and it would be a massive step towards us competing this season.

• I am seriously crossing all fingers and toes that Joe Aribo becomes their Andy Delort.

If you search twitter their fan base is genuinely unbearable. They haven't got a clue about Joe and all they're doing is constantly gloating. If he goes I hope it's somewhere like Southampton
    George Edmondson is just the sort of player we should be going after, young and likely to go up in value significantly.
    Yeah agreed, just one of those ones though where we aren't in the position. 

Would love Joe to rock up to Benfica instead of Rangers. 
  • Does anyone seriously think that potential new owners are going to suddenly come in and suddenly start chucking big wages around.Not wishing to appear pro Roland(which I most certainly am not),it is about time clubs started to stand up to the ridiculous wages that players demand.I have no doubt that the wage bill at recently relegated clubs,like,Stoke,Swansea,WBA,and last years trio,plus the other big clubs like Forest,Leeds,Derby,is astronomical,and financially unsustainable without big donations from the owners.They wont do it for ever,it will go wrong,and quite honestly the sooner the better so that properly run clubs can compete.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heard somewhere that Sheff Utd had the third or fourth lowest wage budget. Not 100% sure how true that is though.
  • Sheffield United is the obvious model to follow. I bet their wages were way down the league table
    Yes, they were somewhere around 16th-18th from memory.
  • https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/joe-aribo-final-thread.79190/

They have a thread about him, that was made today and it has over 150 posts. Christ 
  • https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/joe-aribo-final-thread.79190/

They have a thread about him, that was made today and it has over 150 posts. Christ 
    It would be amusing if rather than Aribo, they instead sign Parker!
  • edited June 2019
    I think we'd have a few disgruntled players with such a huge disparity between Aribo's salary and theirs.
    Except you don't pay as salary but a signing on fee. Same as a transfer but not to a club. I'm sure the Preston Bauer deal had that element that tipped the scales.
  • ross1 said:
    We will see after Joe and Bowyer meet tomorrow
    Would it not be possible to pay Joe Aribo, Igor's 7k  + Patrick's 4k + Parker's 2k + Reeves 3k + Marshalls 2k + Sell Naby and put his 4k to the Total, 20k wages for Joe with a release clause of 10 million.

Not enough thinking outside the box for me ! 
    And then we'd only have 1 centre back!!!!
  • Pratley to tranmere according to twitter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pratley to tranmere according to twitter 
    Mass exodus!!! Not another one!
  • edited June 2019
    Pratley to tranmere according to twitter 
    In the last day the same tweeter has said he’ll sign for Cambridge and Rochdale
  • Valley11 said:
    Pratley to tranmere according to twitter 
    In the last day the same tweeter has said he’ll sign for Cambridge and Rochdale

Bidding war...
  • The Twitter account clearly states it’s an account that will put random players to random clubs. It doesn’t even claim to be reliable, in fact, just the opposite.
  • All very quiet considering Bowyer said hopefully 5 or so in by next Friday. 
  • edited June 2019
    CatAddick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    There's probably at least seven or eight teams who are not paying a player 25k a week
    Just because it's an 'average' wage doesn't necessarily mean that's what a large number of Champ players are actually paid.

Aston Villa reportedly paid out £73m on wages last season. And other big clubs recently relegated from the Prem are still paying out some huge contracts they've been saddled with from that time.

That's going to heavily distort the figures, compared to a significant number of clubs who manage on much smaller budgets without parachute payments or a sugar daddy.

Even within an individual club, there's going to be disparity between many of the squad players.
    Their star striker is going to be paid far more than their reserve fullback.

For it to be truly meaningful, I believe that we have to have actual examples of individual contract, rather than some hypothetical 'average'.

That's what i'm sort of saying the top eight are probably on very big wages, with the rest on a lot less, it was more of a reply to @NapaAddick who keeps saying it's the championship average.
    You really need to see the distribution/min/max to see if a few teams are skewing the ‘average’.  I’m guessing that the parachute teams have a significantly higher wage bill than the mid-table teams and massively higher than the paupers
    In addition, there will often be large discrepancies within clubs. Sarr will be on a lot more than Dijksteel for example.
    If the median (not average) club wage spend in the Championship is £30M, and the average wage is £20,000 per week (£1M/year), then what kind of wage skew would you need to make the numbers work?  Just think it through.
    If 20 players average £5000/week, then the remaining 4 would average £110,000/week to bring the total to £30M. I seriously doubt that is happening for the likes of Brentford or anyone else.
    Let's try an example most here would probably nod their head and say "Okay, that looks right..."...
    £30M club wages (11th highest in The Championship)
    £3M to all back room and medical staff (CAFC is probably 1/2 that or less)
    £27M first team wages
    £10,000/week manager
    £3000/week 2 asst managers
    £2000/week goalkeeping coach
    £2500/week for 5 players (bench)
    £5000/week for 5 players (bench)
    £7500/week for 5 players (bench/starters)
    £10,000/week for 5 players (starters)
    $20,000/week for 2 players (stars)
    $40,000/week for 2 players (best)
    That adds up to.... £13.676M

So.... that is not even HALF the wages of middle of the road Championship clubs. Where does the other £17M in wages go? The answer is certainly... players. Which means the estimates I listed above are probably a lot lower than reality. I am open to someone having other ideas on this, but when you run the numbers, I don't see how they add up.
    Someone please tell me where Reading's £35M in wages go if it is not to players. They are spending 3.5x our wage bill, which means they are paying 3.5x our wages. No way can it all be "skewed" to the top 1 or 3 players. Run the numbers yourself and you will see. It's impossible. Which means the average run-of-the-mill players are probably on £10-15k/week.

• edited June 2019
    FYI..... Villa, with parachutes, here was their wage bill last year, by player. Aribo for Villa would have been the 5th LOWEST paid player on their entire team at £20,000/week, tied with some guy named "Gary Gardner." And when you look at the skew, there is not really a big one. 14 of the 18 players made over a mil per year. That is not skewed at all. That is your standard bell-curve. How does CAFC ever compete with this kind of spending? Answer... it can't. PS- look at what Steer makes.

• FYI..... Villa, with parachutes, here was their wage bill last year, by player. Aribo for Villa would have been the 5th LOWEST paid player on their entire team at £20,000/week, tied with some guy named "Gary Gardner." And when you look at the skew, there is not really a big one. 14 of the 18 players made over a mil per year. That is not skewed at all. That is your standard bell-curve. How does CAFC ever compete with this kind of spending? Answer... it can't.

Some incredibly average players earning shedloads. I wouldn't swap Solly for Alan Hutton as an example 
  • edited June 2019
    Totally agree Pelling... look at Jed Steer!
    But this is what I am trying to say.... there are sooooooo many options for Bauer and Aribo and the rest when their contracts come due. In the free-market known as English football, Aribo will get offers from most clubs that exceed ours. Think we offer Phillips £13,000 per week when his contract ends? I doubt it. Think others will? Many.
    If we don't pay our players these ridiculous wages, they will have many other clubs who will line up to do so. I suspect that paying £10k/week is... low, down here, for a starter in The Championship. Even average ones for average teams. Aribo and our best players? We are doomed if we don't offer £20k/week just as an opening bid, in my opinion.