Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Montenegro v England - Tonight 7:45pm k/o

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Vardy looks about 23 but he's 32. Will be 33-34 by the Euros. Can see why he retired. Probably feels like an old man in that dressing room.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I'd be shocked if Vardy came out of retirement and was even picked for Euro 2020

This is a team now that has the feel where if your injured, your hindering your chances of breaking back into the team unless your something very special - i.e. Who would you take out for Lingard who himself was been really impressive for England in 2018

From that list I think you can probably forget Vardy (all but retired) and Pope (I think this injury has ruined his chance); the latter I'd replace with Jack Butland or even Angus Gunn / Dean Henderson from the U21s

Also wonder how Oxlade-Chamberlain will get back into the team, same with Lallana
    Also was very impressed with Tomori at centre back for the under 21s last week, if he gets a premier league loan next season i think he'll be in the squad next season too.
    I'd love to see Tammy Abraham get a chance; bloke is a goal machine in the Championship so do hope that he can make the step up to the Premier League next season with whoever he joins on loan... Having him as backup to Kane either on the bench or starting (due to injury) would really make our strikeforce rapid
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if Vardy came out of retirement and was even picked for Euro 2020

This is a team now that has the feel where if your injured, your hindering your chances of breaking back into the team unless your something very special - i.e. Who would you take out for Lingard who himself was been really impressive for England in 2018

From that list I think you can probably forget Vardy (all but retired) and Pope (I think this injury has ruined his chance); the latter I'd replace with Jack Butland or even Angus Gunn / Dean Henderson from the U21s

Also wonder how Oxlade-Chamberlain will get back into the team, same with Lallana
    Also was very impressed with Tomori at centre back for the under 21s last week, if he gets a premier league loan next season i think he'll be in the squad next season too.
    I'd love to see Tammy Abraham get a chance; bloke is a goal machine in the Championship so do hope that he can make the step up to the Premier League next season with whoever he joins on loan... Having him as backup to Kane either on the bench or starting (due to injury) would really make our strikeforce rapid
    I think Vardy is like a Ben Foster. More or less retired BUT if there was an injury crisis just before the Euros, I'm sure he'd be available
  • Options
    Some heroes from the World Cup are going to be quite unfortunate with the shape change that Southgate has gone with so far. Trippier was one of our best players at the WC but he's probably third choice RB now based on his current form, with Walker being direct competition for him again. Lingard will struggle as he's not as capable deeper in midfield, where Alli and Barkley are at home, and some really dangerous inside forwards have emerged to make it difficult for him to play out wide and contribute at the same level. Maguire will likely lose his place to Gomez over time as Joe's just more comfortable with the ball at his feet and has that burst of pace that can bail a defence out when mistakes are made. Dier was already behind Henderson but Rice will make it even harder for him to get into the squad as on current form he's just a tidier shield who offers a bit more in the way of searching forward passes.

It's funny to think that nearly half of such a successful WC squad probably won't be playing in major Qualifiers and tournaments so soon after the event, but that's a sign of how good our strength in depth is at the moment. Feels a far cry from the days of vaguely considering which players would be called up to sit on the bench behind the same old international underachievers.
  • Options
    Some heroes from the World Cup are going to be quite unfortunate with the shape change that Southgate has gone with so far. Trippier was one of our best players at the WC but he's probably third choice RB now based on his current form, with Walker being direct competition for him again. Lingard will struggle as he's not as capable deeper in midfield, where Alli and Barkley are at home, and some really dangerous inside forwards have emerged to make it difficult for him to play out wide and contribute at the same level. Maguire will likely lose his place to Gomez over time as Joe's just more comfortable with the ball at his feet and has that burst of pace that can bail a defence out when mistakes are made. Dier was already behind Henderson but Rice will make it even harder for him to get into the squad as on current form he's just a tidier shield who offers a bit more in the way of searching forward passes.

It's funny to think that nearly half of such a successful WC squad probably won't be playing in major Qualifiers and tournaments so soon after the event, but that's a sign of how good our strength in depth is at the moment. Feels a far cry from the days of vaguely considering which players would be called up to sit on the bench behind the same old international underachievers.
    Maguire does give you physicality and aerial strength though. Indeed I wouldn't say John Stones was an automatic pick ahead of Maguire and Gomez
  • Options
    Maguire is a class centre half. Proper first time no dicking about ball winner. He's a real threat at set pieces and an asset defending them and is underated with the ball at his feet coming out of defence. He's the first choice pick for me and the man in possession of the shirt for others to prove they are better and want to take it off him. He was quality at Sheffield United as a young kid I thought too so I'm glad he has fulfilled some of his potential I saw. 

Gomez and Stones are competing for the same place in my eyes 
  • Options
    Hadn't realised Vardy had 'retired', wondered why he wasn't in the squad!
  • Options
    I salute every player on that pitch last night that got their heads down & talked with their feet. 
    Pure class. 
    I cant blame Rose one bit for how he finally reacted at the end. If I’d been getting that abuse all game, I’d have done far worse. Think it really affected his game. 
    Disgusting abuse from their fans & feck all will be done about it. 
  • Options
    Plus, how does Chris Sutton get a commentary gig?
    Was watching on Virgin One, he makes Andy Townsend sound professional!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Carter said:
    Maguire is a class centre half. Proper first time no dicking about ball winner. He's a real threat at set pieces and an asset defending them and is underated with the ball at his feet coming out of defence. He's the first choice pick for me and the man in possession of the shirt for others to prove they are better and want to take it off him. He was quality at Sheffield United as a young kid I thought too so I'm glad he has fulfilled some of his potential I saw. 

Gomez and Stones are competing for the same place in my eyes 
    I agree. He's brilliant on the ball.

When we were 3-5-2 at the world cup, he was the player Southgate had bringing it out of defense and joining attacks. Even though the other two centre-halfs were ball players. 

Underrated in that respect. 
  • Options
    I think Maguire is a real physical presence and threat from set pieces. He’s also great with the ball at his feet. 

Think we’ll get to the stage like we were a decade or so ago where we had 4 or 5 outstanding international level centre backs and it was a case of who will we leave behind at a tournament. 
  • Options
    It's amazing to think Trippier was considered to be Englands player of the tournament last summer, and now finds himself possibly behind Walker,Alexander-Arnold, Gomez and maybe Wan Bissaka 
  • Options

The most anti-english englishman ever. He chats so much shit its embarrassing.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Vardy looks about 23 but he's 32. Will be 33-34 by the Euros. Can see why he retired. Probably feels like an old man in that dressing room.
    'Jamie Vardy's having a party, bring a cup of tea and some Werthers Originals'
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Seen one or two on here describing Maguire as being slow......I think he’s one of those players who looks like he ain’t moving that quickly but is in fact far far quicker over the ground than you imagine.......as someone similar I give you the imperious Jorge Costa.
  • Options
    Seen one or two on here describing Maguire as being slow......I think he’s one of those players who looks like he ain’t moving that quickly but is in fact far far quicker over the ground than you imagine.......as someone similar I give you the imperious Jorge Costa.
    When he was making that run out of defence he certainly look slow to me. Probably slower over 5 yards than Gomez or Stones, but still athletic
  • Options
    As mentioned on here already, the 4-3-3 set up is working a treat. We are creating all the time, looking threatening and scoring goals. It suits us right now. No surprise that Sterling has replicated his form for England when City play 4-3-3 themselves.

If Southgate really wanted to change it up again. We could easily play a 3-4-3, something like:

Pickford
    Gomez Stones Maguire
    Walker Henderson Barkley Chilwell
    Sterling Kane Rashford

It still looks very strong if we needed to be maybe a little more solid. That’s still without some great players not even mentioned.

Exciting times for the England national side. Very pleased.
  • Options
    Sacrilege to even think about putting Maguire in the same league as Jorge Costa.
  • Options
    What a difference a year makes.
    Sterling was bottom of the ratings in every game he played for England in the World Cup. Yet bizarrely Southgate, kept picking him despite him going nearly 3 years and 20 plus matches without scoring and playing poorly.
    Sterling at long last is showing his City form for England and has matured as a footballer and as a person. 

Must be getting even more cynical than normal, but my first reaction was to wonder whether the abuse was coming from the home or away fans. (Chelsea fans do follow England ?)

It's enjoyable watching England now, but any class international side would take apart an England defence of Walker, Rose, Keane, and the erratic Pickford. Plus is Dier good enough ? (No)

Gomez, Stones, Maguire, Trent-Arnold, Chilwell and the improving Rice could all be ready soon to form that strong defensive unit. Heaton would be my number 1 at present.

It is what Bowyer has to do now with Fosu!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The most anti-english englishman ever. He chats so much shit its embarrassing.
    Absolutely spot on!
  • Options
    These last two games have been a joy. Absolutely agree with all the really positive comments. The points about one or other could be better really cant get in the way if how positive and great it has been to watch. Me second point is we have spent years seeing players freeze on the England expects stages. What is it that SO FAR (once and England / Charlton supporter, always.....) has turned this around. Is it Southgate and his and his helpers approach? Or is it the sheer exuberance (is that spelling or even the word right....its very long)! And skill of our squad, after all the youngsters have done the biz in the last couple of years. Just asking?
  • Options
    These last two games have been a joy. Absolutely agree with all the really positive comments. The points about one or other could be better really cant get in the way if how positive and great it has been to watch. Me second point is we have spent years seeing players freeze on the England expects stages. What is it that SO FAR (once and England / Charlton supporter, always.....) has turned this around. Is it Southgate and his and his helpers approach? Or is it the sheer exuberance (is that spelling or even the word right....its very long)! And skill of our squad, after all the youngsters have done the biz in the last couple of years. Just asking?
    I think it's psychology. Southgate and the team psychologist have worked on getting the team to trust each other. They were having small group sessions where they reveal struggles they have or things that happened in their childhoods and it helped create a strong bond. 

I think the team having togetherness is a big thing. Not having a bunch of cliques and individuals out there, but a team who trust each other means that they are better under pressure. They know they're going to work together to get back into it.

Southgate also spoke about changing the mentality around penalties. Making them an opportunity to take control and win, not a lottery, which is how we saw it before. Now they approach them confidently.

I've also read that before every match, Southgate asks the group, "What are we gonna do if we go 1 - 0 down? 2 - 0 down?" And the team have to answer. So they go out ready to respond with a positive mentality to any setback. 

Very modern manager. And as mentality has always been the England team's problem, it's obviously reaping rewards.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think it's psychology. Southgate and the team psychologist have worked on getting the team to trust each other. They were having small group sessions where they reveal struggles they have or things that happened in their childhoods and it helped create a strong bond. 

I think the team having togetherness is a big thing. Not having a bunch of cliques and individuals out there, but a team who trust each other means that they are better under pressure. They know they're going to work together to get back into it.

Southgate also spoke about changing the mentality around penalties. Making them an opportunity to take control and win, not a lottery, which is how we saw it before. Now they approach them confidently.

I've also read that before every match, Southgate asks the group, "What are we gonna do if we go 1 - 0 down? 2 - 0 down?" And the team have to answer. So they go out ready to respond with a positive mentality to any setback. 

Very modern manager. And as mentality has always been the England team's problem, it's obviously reaping rewards.
    Totally agree. Southgate has totally changed the mindset. 
  • Options
    He is doing a terrific job. 
  • Options
    He is doing a terrific job. 

agree, at the moment we can forget he's ex Palace ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    In international management. I am a great believer in sacking managers early. Well not early, but what people may consider early. It is different to a club manager where a manager can build his squad over time. Hodgson failed in three tournaments FFS! The reason why I think sacking managers when they are not doing it is that you will eventually find a good one. Luck is usually a factor. I mean, Southgate has surprised me. But so has Bowyer. We have and now we need to ensure we keep him.