Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Should have been scheduled for Flaming May rather than risk the June Showers....
  • MrOneLung said:
    Should have been scheduled for Flaming May rather than risk the June Showers....
    was thinking December would have been better, drier and possibly warmer ((:>)
  • In my opinion, Sarah Taylor is the best wicket keeper in the world.  You're welcome either to agree with me or, conversely, to remain wrong. 
  • Chizz said:
    In my opinion, Sarah Taylor is the best wicket keeper in the world.  You're welcome either to agree with me or, conversely, to remain wrong. 
    She is an extremely good keeper. However, it is very difficult to claim that she is the best keeper in the world when she doesn't have to stand back to bowlers who bowl at 95mph or keep to a spinner who has all the variations in the book.

So case unproven I'm afraid.
  • edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    Another match abandoned, really hope this weather improves or the tournament will become a nonsense. 
    At least with every team having 9 matches to play, it is less likely that one of the best sides will fail to make the last four. As it stands the semi finalists should be England, India, Australia and NZ and it is difficult to argue that they aren't the 4 best teams in this tournament. 

There should, however, have been provision for each game to have a 2nd day in the event of rain.

Agree with the provision for a rain day, it should be a given, especially in England.

Not sure about NZ, they have yet to be tested by any of the big boys - 3 wins from 3, but havnt they been against BAN,SL and AFG? - and they struggled against BAN to get over the line. I think they may well get sussed by the likes of WI, who in my view, may squeeze into that 4th spot.

Todays game ENG v WI is key for both teams.

• Chizz said:
    In my opinion, Sarah Taylor is the best wicket keeper in the world.  You're welcome either to agree with me or, conversely, to remain wrong. 
    She is an extremely good keeper. However, it is very difficult to claim that she is the best keeper in the world when she doesn't have to stand back to bowlers who bowl at 95mph or keep to a spinner who has all the variations in the book.

No, I found it very easy to claim she is the best keeper in the world.  See?  I have just done it again! 

You make a good point to suggest that she hasn't been tested against the best men's teams' bowlers.  I don't think that fast bowling would present an insurmountable challenge, it's just a case of standing further back.  And I also think she's a good enough athlete to be able to cope standing up to the very best "mystery spinners".  That's why I think she's the best in the world.  And that's why the best-ever wicket keeper batsman, Adam Gilchrist named her as such.  And he's possibly an even better judge than me! 
  • Today’s my first visit to the Hampshire Bowl - it’s a national disgrace...

• Bit nervous about today's game. West indies have looked good so far
  • The Bowl is a lovely venue, though a tad isolated if you dont have a car.

Shane Warne was instrumental in Hampshire's early move to there and is a good friend of the Chairman.

If you are coming back by car along the M27, and you have the time, stop off at Port Solent Marina for dinner. Some lovely bars and restaurants there with a nice Outlook.

• Sponsored links:

• The Bowl is a lovely venue, though a tad isolated if you dont have a car.

Shane Warne was instrumental in Hampshire's early move to there and is a good friend of the Chairman.

If you are coming back by car along the M27, and you have the time, stop off at Port Solent Marina for dinner. Some lovely bars and restaurants there with a nice Outlook.

I know - was meant in jest. 
  • edited June 2019
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

No, I found it very easy to claim she is the best keeper in the world.  See?  I have just done it again! 

You make a good point to suggest that she hasn't been tested against the best men's teams' bowlers.  I don't think that fast bowling would present an insurmountable challenge, it's just a case of standing further back.  And I also think she's a good enough athlete to be able to cope standing up to the very best "mystery spinners".  That's why I think she's the best in the world.  And that's why the best-ever wicket keeper batsman, Adam Gilchrist named her as such.  And he's possibly an even better judge than me! 
    No it isn't - the further you stand back the lower you have to take good length balls and higher you have to take shorter balls so, by definition, balls that a male keeper would be taking chest high would end up sailing over her head. Equally, the further you stand back the greater the deviation is off the bat. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that she is shorter and will have a lesser reach than her male counter parts.

I'm certainly not saying that she hasn't got one of the best pair of hands in the game. But until she is tested keeping to the best male bowlers in the world she cannot be called the "best keeper" in the world.

Case still unproven. And I don't care if Adam Gilchrist says so. He wasn't one of the great keepers either.

Edit - I have also asked my son who has just got back from taking one of his GCSEs and who knows more about keeping than I will ever do as he has kept for Kent age groups sides for the last six years, has had numerous sessions with Geraint Jones amongst others and has yet to let a bye through in the Kent Cricket League this season from almost a thousand balls. And he, of course, totally agrees with me. But then he would wouldn't he!
  • Woakes' wicket was a zinger. Gayle looks in ominous mood though
  • McBobbin said:
    Woakes' wicket was a zinger. Gayle looks in ominous mood though
    So close to getting us a wicket!
  • Huge chance to get Gayle, might regret that.
  • Looks like Roy has done his hammy......shit shit shit!!!!
  • 38-1 off 9

Gayle 32 off 28
    Lewis and Hope 4 off 26
  • Wood deserves a good kicking for that drop

• Off to see the Spice Girls again?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

No it isn't - the further you stand back the lower you have to take good length balls and higher you have to take shorter balls so, by definition, balls that a male keeper would be taking chest high would end up sailing over her head. Equally, the further you stand back the greater the deviation is off the bat. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that she is shorter and will have a lesser reach than her male counter parts.

I'm certainly not saying that she hasn't got one of the best pair of hands in the game. But until she is tested keeping to the best male bowlers in the world she cannot be called the "best keeper" in the world.

Case still unproven. And I don't care if Adam Gilchrist says so. He wasn't one of the great keepers either.

Edit - I have also asked my son who has just got back from taking one of his GCSEs and who knows more about keeping than I will ever do as he has kept for Kent age groups sides for the last six years, has had numerous sessions with Geraint Jones amongst others and has yet to let a bye through in the Kent Cricket League this season from almost a thousand balls. And he, of course, totally agrees with me. But then he would wouldn't he!
    How do you work that out? 
  • Gayle out
  • 3 down now
  • Wood deserves a good kicking for that drop
    Reprieve for Wood.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

How do you work that out? 
    It was in response to your comment that "it's just a case of standing further back". It's not simply because there is an optimum spot to take the ball. So Taylor moving back puts her in the wrong place.
  • Surprised none of you have commented on Roy’s hammy problem.....could see him out for weeks if a serious tear!!!!
  • Roy deserves a good kicking for injuring himself
  • Surprised none of you have commented on Roy’s hammy problem.....could see him out for weeks if a serious tear!!!!
    Probably hoping it's nothing serious...

Would they go for Hales? He's the obvious like for like replacement
  • Banton is the man in form but he'd be a seriously brave call
    Yes it could be serious blow. Roy was out with the same injury a couple of months ago so quite possible that the situation is ongoing. Hopefully, he felt it before he did any real damage. If we win today then we can probably still afford to lose two of the last five matches and qualify for the semis by which time he might be fit again.