Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    In my opinion, Sarah Taylor is the best wicket keeper in the world.  You're welcome either to agree with me or, conversely, to remain wrong. 
    She is an extremely good keeper. However, it is very difficult to claim that she is the best keeper in the world when she doesn't have to stand back to bowlers who bowl at 95mph or keep to a spinner who has all the variations in the book.

So case unproven I'm afraid.
    No, I found it very easy to claim she is the best keeper in the world.  See?  I have just done it again! 

You make a good point to suggest that she hasn't been tested against the best men's teams' bowlers.  I don't think that fast bowling would present an insurmountable challenge, it's just a case of standing further back.  And I also think she's a good enough athlete to be able to cope standing up to the very best "mystery spinners".  That's why I think she's the best in the world.  And that's why the best-ever wicket keeper batsman, Adam Gilchrist named her as such.  And he's possibly an even better judge than me! 
    No it isn't - the further you stand back the lower you have to take good length balls and higher you have to take shorter balls so, by definition, balls that a male keeper would be taking chest high would end up sailing over her head. Equally, the further you stand back the greater the deviation is off the bat. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that she is shorter and will have a lesser reach than her male counter parts.

I'm certainly not saying that she hasn't got one of the best pair of hands in the game. But until she is tested keeping to the best male bowlers in the world she cannot be called the "best keeper" in the world.

Case still unproven. And I don't care if Adam Gilchrist says so. He wasn't one of the great keepers either.

Edit - I have also asked my son who has just got back from taking one of his GCSEs and who knows more about keeping than I will ever do as he has kept for Kent age groups sides for the last six years, has had numerous sessions with Geraint Jones amongst others and has yet to let a bye through in the Kent Cricket League this season from almost a thousand balls. And he, of course, totally agrees with me. But then he would wouldn't he!
    How do you work that out? 
    It was in response to your comment that "it's just a case of standing further back". It's not simply because there is an optimum spot to take the ball. So Taylor moving back puts her in the wrong place.
    Taylor would not be able to take the ball that Buttler has just taken one handed above his head off Wood even standing in the same place. She is 4 inches shorter and her reach wouldn't be as long. So that would be five wides instead of one.

Taylor has better hands than Buttler and standing up is at least his equal. That doesn't make her a better overall keeper. And Foakes, for a start, is better than all of them.
  • edited June 2019
    Surprised none of you have commented on Roy’s hammy problem.....could see him out for weeks if a serious tear!!!!
    Yes it could be serious blow. Roy was out with the same injury a couple of months ago so quite possible that the situation is ongoing. Hopefully, he felt it before he did any real damage. If we win today then we can probably still afford to lose two of the last five matches and qualify for the semis by which time he might be fit again.
    Looked pretty serious I’m afraid to say, he immediately clutched high up on the leg (Bisceps Femoris?), so it’s deep seated, which is more difficult to deal with evidently .....and he looked sick as a pig as he went off too!!
  • Surprised none of you have commented on Roy’s hammy problem.....could see him out for weeks if a serious tear!!!!
    not an obvious replacement opener in today's Xl .. presumably unconvincing Vince will come in if Roy is away for any games
  • Surprised none of you have commented on Roy’s hammy problem.....could see him out for weeks if a serious tear!!!!
    not an obvious replacement opener in today's Xl .. presumably unconvincing Vince will come in if Roy is away for any games
    Suspect Root will open today if required 
  • edited June 2019
    Two c&b wickets for Root. Hetmyer and Holder.

156-5 from 32 overs
    Suspect Root will open today if required 
    that was my thought .. BUT, he doesn't like opening and will be bombarded by the Windies quickies .. especially after picking up 2 (as I type) wickets
  • I reckon they’ll have Buttler opening with Bairstow. Either way, you’re looking at Chris Woakes coming in to bat at number six today.
  • I think it rather depends on what we're chasing. Anything less than 250 and I would open with Root.
  • Rashid hasn't been at his best bowling recently but drops by Roy and Woakes in this series don't do him any favours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Could even have Stokes opening, as he's pretty solid these days. I wouldn't want Buttler against fresh opening bowlers
  • And then he goes for a couple of maximums
  • Muttley sharpening his steel toecaps for Woakes as I type
  • edited June 2019
    Could even have Stokes opening, as he's pretty solid these days. I wouldn't want Buttler against fresh opening bowlers
    He (Buttler) was the first to come to mind as he’s previously opened the batting in IPL and Big Bash.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    In my opinion, Sarah Taylor is the best wicket keeper in the world.  You're welcome either to agree with me or, conversely, to remain wrong. 
    She is an extremely good keeper. However, it is very difficult to claim that she is the best keeper in the world when she doesn't have to stand back to bowlers who bowl at 95mph or keep to a spinner who has all the variations in the book.

No, I found it very easy to claim she is the best keeper in the world.  See?  I have just done it again! 

You make a good point to suggest that she hasn't been tested against the best men's teams' bowlers.  I don't think that fast bowling would present an insurmountable challenge, it's just a case of standing further back.  And I also think she's a good enough athlete to be able to cope standing up to the very best "mystery spinners".  That's why I think she's the best in the world.  And that's why the best-ever wicket keeper batsman, Adam Gilchrist named her as such.  And he's possibly an even better judge than me! 
    No it isn't - the further you stand back the lower you have to take good length balls and higher you have to take shorter balls so, by definition, balls that a male keeper would be taking chest high would end up sailing over her head. Equally, the further you stand back the greater the deviation is off the bat. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that she is shorter and will have a lesser reach than her male counter parts.

I'm certainly not saying that she hasn't got one of the best pair of hands in the game. But until she is tested keeping to the best male bowlers in the world she cannot be called the "best keeper" in the world.

Case still unproven. And I don't care if Adam Gilchrist says so. He wasn't one of the great keepers either.

Edit - I have also asked my son who has just got back from taking one of his GCSEs and who knows more about keeping than I will ever do as he has kept for Kent age groups sides for the last six years, has had numerous sessions with Geraint Jones amongst others and has yet to let a bye through in the Kent Cricket League this season from almost a thousand balls. And he, of course, totally agrees with me. But then he would wouldn't he!
    It was in response to your comment that "it's just a case of standing further back". It's not simply because there is an optimum spot to take the ball. So Taylor moving back puts her in the wrong place.
    She would stand as far back as a bloke! "Standing further back" refers to standing further back than for a slower bowler, not further back than a bloke!  That's genuinely very funny. 
  • Who would have said that Moeen wouldn't be in our WC team a few months ago? With the tracks as they are and Root doing a job it is difficult to see him getting back in.
  • Woakes' torture downgraded to three strokes of the cane
  • Who would have said that Moeen wouldn't be in our WC team a few months ago? With the tracks as they are and Root doing a job it is difficult to see him getting back in.
    He might come straight in for Roy
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Taylor would not be able to take the ball that Buttler has just taken one handed above his head off Wood even standing in the same place. She is 4 inches shorter and her reach wouldn't be as long. So that would be five wides instead of one.

Taylor has better hands than Buttler and standing up is at least his equal. That doesn't make her a better overall keeper. And Foakes, for a start, is better than all of them.
    LOL!  So Jos Buttler is a better keeper than Alan Knott, by three inches? No wonder Jonny Bairstow is such a terrible keeper.  

Although, of course, it does beg the question as to why on earth they're giving the gloves to Buttler, when Plunkett's in the team...
  • Morgan crocked now
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant by Buttler.  That was a huge call to go for a review as soon as he had taken over as captain.
  • England have been Charltonised
  • Chizz said:
    Morgan crocked now
    Yup.....gone off limping very slowly and gingerly!!!
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

LOL!  So Jos Buttler is a better keeper than Alan Knott, by three inches? No wonder Jonny Bairstow is such a terrible keeper.  

Although, of course, it does beg the question as to why on earth they're giving the gloves to Buttler, when Plunkett's in the team...
    Foakes at 6' 1'' is good enough if height is the sole criteria. Standing back to 75 mph bowlers and to spinners that hardly turn the ball as opposed to 95mph and a Rashid with many variations clearly makes Taylor the best keeper in the world.

You've proved your point.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Foakes at 6' 1'' is good enough if height is the sole criteria. Standing back to 75 mph bowlers and to spinners that hardly turn the ball as opposed to 95mph and a Rashid with many variations clearly makes Taylor the best keeper in the world.

1. Height ISN'T a criterion.  

2. Yes, she is. But not for those reasons.  
  • I think England will struggle to continue their unbeaten, world-best run of consecutive scores of over 300 today. 
  • Chizz said:
    Morgan crocked now
    Yup.....gone off limping very slowly and gingerly!!!
    #racist
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

For what reasons, may I ask, is Taylor a better keeper than Foakes?
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I am very happy to answer that for you and thank you for putting it in such a pleasant and polite way.  It's because she's better. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I am very happy to answer that for you and thank you for putting it in such a pleasant and polite way.  It's because she's better. 
    And your supporting evidence of this is?