Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Right 
    Here I go.
    I still believe we Will qualify and I still believe we can win this competition. 
    That's it.
    Optimistic

Even if we scrape through, it's hard to see England as being better than any of the other likely semi finalists
  • Our batting, as I feared, is made up of flat track bullies. In the main, the inclement weather has meant that we've ended up producing tracks where the ball stops and sticks in the wicket - and that calls for more skill than simply "see ball hit six". 
    And the pitches are as specified by the ICC, so no set up to be perfect for England
  • Right 
    Here I go.
    I still believe we Will qualify and I still believe we can win this competition. 
    That's it.
    Optimistic

Even if we scrape through, it's hard to see England as being better than any of the other likely semi finalists
    Roy will  be fit. 
  • Apart from Stokes these last 2 batting displays have been Iike watching a tortoise retreating into its shell. 
  • I know it wasn't his fault we lost but i'd love someone to be go through and give me the total runs scored by Ali in this tournament
  • Comprehensively second best today

The order of matches isn't helping England either. After a couple of poor performances, we need a weak team like Afghanistan to play next and recover some confidence, and instead will face India and then New Zealand.
  • anybody gonna find any positives from that calumny or formulate some kind of defence of that display?
  • I offered my friend 5/2 when we were 2/1 to win the tournament before Sri Lanka.

I offered my friend 5/2 when we lost the next game also.

He took 5/2 last Thursday when we were still 2/1.

I have won £100.   Never have I felt more confident I was going to win money.

England have beaten teams that don't really care for the last 4 years.  We have NEVER won the world cup and haven't beaten Australia, NZ and India in a World Cup for a very, very, very, very long time.

England in May and June.  Bound to rain.   Tracks bound to swing and move about a bit.

Absolutely no way is our batting line up good enough to win a World Cup.

• anybody gonna find any positives from that calumny or formulate some kind of defence of that display?
    It's the fault of the English weather, and our players struggling to deal with local conditions...
  • Today we lost because Australia batted,fielded, and Bowled better. Beaten by a better team. No ifs, No Buts, 
    The only Positive was Ben Stokes, our best bowler and Batsman on the day.

I think it's a lack of nous more than bottling.
    The defeat in the last game was the shocker. Ben Stokes running out of Partners was the pits. 
     This is Lords with its bigger boundary. Shame no one told Morgan and Buttler.
    Go and win the last two matches, it's only India and New Zealand !  I guess stokes won't be fit to bowl ?

Roy and Curran come in I guess ?

Is it the Great expectations that make all England teams screw up at football, cricket and Rugby in recent times ?

I think I will put that "bullseye" on Norway Women in the Quarter Final of WC 
  • Sponsored links:

• Today we lost because Australia batted,fielded, and Bowled better. Beaten by a better team. No ifs, No Buts, 

The defeat in the last game was the shocker. Ben Stokes running out of Partners was the pits. 
    Go and win the last two matches, it's only India and New Zealand !  I guess stokes won't be fit to bowl ?

Is it the Great expectations that make all England teams screw up at football, cricket and Rugby in recent times ?

*Lord's
  • Chizz said:
    Today we lost because Australia batted,fielded, and Bowled better. Beaten by a better team. No ifs, No Buts, 

*Lord's
    You try running for a bus and texting so I can get home in time to comment on the football WC.

Cheers anyway Chizz, standards are important.
  • I think I was somewhat of a loan voice on here some time ago, when I questioned our management's tactics of going all out attack every game, regardless of the match situation.

I was told that our win % justified this.

I haven't altered my view that you need to play every game on it's merit.

If our players had dug in & not gone gung ho, we could have won that game.

Morgan, Bairstow & Buttler all gave away their wicket, by skying those unnecessary shots.

So predictable & it will continue unless the management change tact. 
  • edited June 2019
    I think I was somewhat of a loan voice on here some time ago, when I questioned our management's tactics of going all out attack every game, regardless of the match situation.

Morgan, Bairstow & Buttler all gave away their wicket, by skying those unnecessary shots.

This is what I said on my cricket club group chat "Play each match on its merits and stop saying we’ve been playing this way (expansive cricket) for the last 3 years and we’ve been very successful. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Stokes can do it so why can’t others?"
     Very similar view to you @CoveredEnd
  • I never have and still do not get all the Morgan is a great captain stuff. When things get tough he doesn't seem to do anything, and I find myself questioning his selection of bowling changes regularly. However I do not see how anyone can blame him for his decision to bowl first this morning. Conditions are what you make your decision on and everything pointed to inserting the opposition today. 
  • I think England are playing too much to a formula. If they lose a quick wicket as in yesterday Root is expected to come in and rebuild, take it to 30 overs and let the strike makers explode. Unfortunately we don’t have another player in the side who want to play that way if root fails. 
  • Apparently we took 3 singles in the first 10 overs .
    They’ve been whacking it out the park the last year Hollywood style and forgotten the art of rotating the strike and keeping the scoreboard ticking over .
    flat track bullies exposed 
  • Riviera said:
    I never have and still do not get all the Morgan is a great captain stuff. When things get tough he doesn't seem to do anything, and I find myself questioning his selection of bowling changes regularly. However I do not see how anyone can blame him for his decision to bowl first this morning. Conditions are what you make your decision on and everything pointed to inserting the opposition today. 

But he could have told them if you dont pitch it up at least a yard further forward I will take you off !!

Also how many were caught deep in the field.

All very well hitting sixes on artificially reduced boundaries, but when you are at a bigger ground you must adapt.

All grounds should revert to the boundary being the actual boundary of the playing field.
  • I think I was somewhat of a loan voice on here some time ago, when I questioned our management's tactics of going all out attack every game, regardless of the match situation.

I think there have always been questioning voices, saying England have to play the situation better. The likes of Michael Vaughan have repeatedly said this, as the high risk approach won't come off every game. Losing Root was the key, if he had stayed in for another 30 overs he would have glued the innings together

Losing yesterday was perhaps not a complete surprise, as Australia are a good side. The Sri Lanka loss was the real disaster for our SF prospects. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    New Zealand in big trouble, 45-3 after 12. Williamson still in though
  • 46-4

Pakistan could still overtake us
  • If Pakistan win this I think they'll finish 4th. I'm not saying Hales should've played.  What he did was stupid & England were right to drop him, but with Roy getting injured, it's a major factor in why we haven't performed in my opinion.

Roy & Hales at the top of the order would've made a huge difference.  If they go out & score 50 off the first 5 overs, it sets the tone for the entire innings 
  • Roy can be hit and miss but when it is hit he can win you the game and it is hit a fair number of times. Vince is much more on the miss side. Who wasn't expecting him to get out for a low score? Hales should have been there in the absence of Roy. 

The thing about England, they can win their next two - we know how good they can be. 
  • And Williamson out, 83/5. Not looked into the maths, but we basically need to beat India and NZ don't we?
  • McBobbin said:
    And Williamson out, 83/5. Not looked into the maths, but we basically need to beat India and NZ don't we?
    Massive. You can see Pakistan winning easily which will really improve their NRR
  • If de Grandhomme somehow pulls New Zealand to a competitive score, I'm sure all the England fans will unite in saying

"Thanks Colin"
  • In a massive shock, Surrey actually win a game. Surprising that the Surrey thread hasn't been celebrating this rare piece of good news  ;)
  • It feels like it is a definite Pakistan victory here. no point clutching at straws. England can win their next two games but they have to start finding their form. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Riviera said:
    I never have and still do not get all the Morgan is a great captain stuff. When things get tough he doesn't seem to do anything, and I find myself questioning his selection of bowling changes regularly. However I do not see how anyone can blame him for his decision to bowl first this morning. Conditions are what you make your decision on and everything pointed to inserting the opposition today. 

But he could have told them if you dont pitch it up at least a yard further forward I will take you off !!

Also how many were caught deep in the field.

All very well hitting sixes on artificially reduced boundaries, but when you are at a bigger ground you must adapt.

All grounds should revert to the boundary being the actual boundary of the playing field.
    Exactly, as I said I don't think he is the great captain the media make him out to be.