Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bonne Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    In Macca's post, top picture ..... that's a great view of the magnificent East Terrace. Also shows how big the South Terrace was behind the goal.

This was The Valley that I grew up with as a kid in the 1960s.

South Terrace at its original height...1/3rd bigger than in the photo above

got this on the wall at home 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    This is what I want to see from the players. Putting himself out there to be a leader. Make us proud and go out there and keep us up! COYA
    good lad - my eldest boy has a large vinyl montage of all these type of pics on his wall - personally i didn't think bonne had the below par game that a lot are saying about yesterday - he worked hard - having said that i couldn't see much coz was watching it in garden due to dad being round and the sun glare and connectivity issues were a problem - change of logistics for next saturday 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Oggy Red said:
    In Macca's post, top picture ..... that's a great view of the magnificent East Terrace. Also shows how big the South Terrace was behind the goal.

This was The Valley that I grew up with as a kid in the 1960s.

South Terrace at its original height...1/3rd bigger than in the photo above

got this on the wall at home 
    Iconic picture that.  The potential of this football club was enormous but never quite realised.  
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    One of my favourite photos of the old East Terrace. I think this was the game where we beat Spurs 4 1 and Flanny scored a hat trick.
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
    The ground only half full then....
    30,706 was the official crowd attendance figure and takings submitted on the tax return.

All of us who were in the crowd day that day reckoned around 40,000.
    You couldn't move. The terraces were rammed.

Big crowd for sure but for me the biggest I've seen at the Valley in 54 years was the 0=0 FA cup game against the glaziers in 68/69 & I think they announced it as 33000 :-) utter nonsense.
    I was there and it was heaving. The crowd all laughed when they announced the gate.
    & if any palace had turned up the crowd would have been even bigger
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Missing a few sitters becoming a habit. I remember this a few cases (like an easy header in last minute of a game) just before cv19. 
    I remember Orient fans mentioning this when we signed him

"He'll put in a lot of effort for you, but will miss as often as he scores" was the common opinion from them

I dont mind too much if he keeps missing, its when he's not even getting chances that I'll be worried
    An Orient supporting mate of mine was bewildered when we signed him. Said he'd miss more than he scored & was mid League 1 standard at best.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Missing a few sitters becoming a habit. I remember this a few cases (like an easy header in last minute of a game) just before cv19. 

"He'll put in a lot of effort for you, but will miss as often as he scores" was the common opinion from them

I dont mind too much if he keeps missing, its when he's not even getting chances that I'll be worried
    An Orient supporting mate of mine was bewildered when we signed him. Said he'd miss more than he scored & was mid League 1 standard at best.
    I think he's good enough to play at this level needs to have more self-belief though - Dont forget that RedHenry mentioned he wasn't actually a Bowyer signing either
  • Options
    Bonne and Davison are similar players. Have to remember Davison performance including a goal v runaway league leaders. Maybe worth rotating the two.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    mendonca said:
    Bonne and Davison are similar players. Have to remember Davison performance including a goal v runaway league leaders. Maybe worth rotating the two.
    Id say Bonne is quicker and is better when on the shoulder of the defender, certainly doesnt have the physicality

Davison Id say does have a bit more physicality about him and would compare him more to Hemed - Especially after he bullied the West Brom centre backs at the Valley
  • Options
    In his defence with the header I reckon he didnt expect it to reach him - Hull had a defender ahead of him and should have dealt with it

Because of that Id say it put him off slightly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if part of his mentality isn't tgat because he's made a pretty huge leap up that he is possibly questioning himself and whether he is good enough. Not exactly DOUBTING himself as such, but questioning.
    Whereas the very best and most dangerous strikers seem to have boundless self-confidence and belief that they will score, even after a few misses.
  • Options
    Agree re the header. Was more concerned about the first half effort when he couldn't get it out of his feet then dragged a shot. That certainly looked lower league standard but hopefully he'll get up to speed quickly. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    One bad day at the office in his first start since January?? I know he was coming back in March but can’t remember him starting.

its a 9 game season and he needs to get up to speed quickly but for every hull performance there is a Bristol city! 
  • Options
    Classic Charlton - one average game and everyone is on his case. 
  • Options
    I have never felt he is good enough for the Championship, always looks awkward and not as comfortable as I’d like .
    His goals return for us this season is a result whatever he does but to me he’s out of his depth .
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    One of my favourite photos of the old East Terrace. I think this was the game where we beat Spurs 4 1 and Flanny scored a hat trick.
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
    30,706 was the official crowd attendance figure and takings submitted on the tax return.

The Spurs win was one of the best ever I've witnessed. Particularly satisfying for Flash was not just his hat trick inside 15 minutes but, of course, because he had been let go by Spurs. Their side had a young Glenn Hoddle and also three players who would go on to play for us - namely Terry Naylor, Don McAllister and Martin Robinson. 

Sadly my other real memory of the game was Mark Penfold breaking his leg. I was sat with my Dad in the West Stand and it happened right in front of us - you literally heard the crack when he went into that tackle which I think was either with McAlister or Taylor. Their was no blame attached to the Spurs player but, sadly, Mark never recovered from that. Years later I had the pleasure of playing cricket against him and his son although I must admit I didn't recognise him at first because his distinctive curly locks had by then deserted him.

The only real connection with Bonne is that both he and Mark played for Orient albeit that our former full back only played a couple of times for them after leaving us before joining Maidstone. I hope that Bonne goes on to become a fans favourite as Mark was in his short career with us.  
    Terry Naylor made the tackle that broke his leg. I remember going to the training ground seeing a young guy with long curly locks heavily involved with the first team ! Not long after Mark Penfield made his first team debut as our youngest ever player. So when I saw him training he must have been 15/16.
    Martin Robinson went on to be a chef and I met him on the tube one day, he got on at Westminster.
    Don McAlister turned in some great performances for us, particularly in midfield in a Mark Aizilwood type role, and like me, later emigrated to Oz.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

I think he's good enough to play at this level needs to have more self-belief though - Dont forget that RedHenry mentioned he wasn't actually a Bowyer signing either
    I still don’t really get this. Didn’t Gallen say he’d watched Bonne at Orient for a while?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Agree re the header. Was more concerned about the first half effort when he couldn't get it out of his feet then dragged a shot. That certainly looked lower league standard but hopefully he'll get up to speed quickly. 
    Sharpness/confidence again. In better form he shifts that out of his feet and twats it without a second’s thought, instead of hesitating and miss hitting. He’d anticipate that header better too.

There was a moment, too, where he chose to close the defender down when they were dealing with an awkward bouncing long ball - if he’d run off the back of the defender instead, chancing a miss control, which is what happened, he’d have been clean through.

Worked hard though and was fully involved in the game, which is what you want to see from strikers if they don’t score. It’s most worrying when they’re anonymous and not getting chances. It’ll come. Same for Hemed if he keeps putting it in like he did yesterday. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    IIRC    Att 30,706.

The Spurs win was one of the best ever I've witnessed. Particularly satisfying for Flash was not just his hat trick inside 15 minutes but, of course, because he had been let go by Spurs. Their side had a young Glenn Hoddle and also three players who would go on to play for us - namely Terry Naylor, Don McAllister and Martin Robinson. 

Sadly my other real memory of the game was Mark Penfold breaking his leg. I was sat with my Dad in the West Stand and it happened right in front of us - you literally heard the crack when he went into that tackle which I think was either with McAlister or Taylor. Their was no blame attached to the Spurs player but, sadly, Mark never recovered from that. Years later I had the pleasure of playing cricket against him and his son although I must admit I didn't recognise him at first because his distinctive curly locks had by then deserted him.

The only real connection with Bonne is that both he and Mark played for Orient albeit that our former full back only played a couple of times for them after leaving us before joining Maidstone. I hope that Bonne goes on to become a fans favourite as Mark was in his short career with us.  
    Terry Naylor made the tackle that broke his leg. I remember going to the training ground seeing a young guy with long curly locks heavily involved with the first team ! Not long after Mark Penfield made his first team debut as our youngest ever player. So when I saw him training he must have been 15/16.
    Martin Robinson went on to be a chef and I met him on the tube one day, he got on at Westminster.
    Don McAlister turned in some great performances for us, particularly in midfield in a Mark Aizilwood type role, and like me, later emigrated to Oz.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fairly sure McAlister broke Penfold''s leg.
  • Options
    TN15 said:
    Fairly sure McAlister broke Penfold''s leg.
    Yes you're right! How time fades the memory. 

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/11463/the-week-that-was-15th-oct-1977-charlton-4-spurs-1
  • Options
    mendonca said:

I still don’t really get this. Didn’t Gallen say he’d watched Bonne at Orient for a while?
    I believe the situation was (going off what was said on here at the time) Bow and Gallen had him as a target when we were in league 1 and for if we didnt go up. We did go up but certain forces in the background wanted to push on with the signing anyway.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I think he has done better than just OK. His scoring record is good when one takes into account that Taylor was playing in a fully fit side with Leko alongside him. World of difference when he was up front on his own with kids in midfield. Without him we would probably be dead and buried by now.

He would certainly benefit if we could have a bit more possession, especially in the final third. Just needs that 1st goal to start him off again.
    A very valid point, he's stepped up once, he'll step up again. Hope it doesn't upset his agent again!
  • Options
    Bounce for Macca after what looked very much like a bounce back performance.

I thought he did really well 1st half with a very difficult role.

Extremely raw player who has an inconsistent touch. However, he seems to have a big on-pitch personality. He has a good footballing brain, he knows how to use his strength and I like the way he always battles.

His he good enough? You would have to be seriously mustard to shine up top the way we set up. 

I like the fact he gets chances, bit of the Andy Cole about him the way he seems to end up on the end of the big moment. 

I dont see how him and Hemed can play effectively together as there is not enough mobility to stretch the CBs, which you have to do with 2 upfront.

I could see him shining in a 4‐5-1 but only in a team that is able to impose itself in possession. We always end up playing on our 18 yard box when we only have 1 striker.

He needs to play out of his skin these final games as I don't see where else any goals are coming from.

• Options
    We need Chuks to be able to play 90 with Bonne, they need to train together week in, week out. 

I want these two lads to build a lethal & strong partnership. But we need to give them service. 

Bonne will hit the target if he gets chances. Chuks I'm not sold on as yet. I like his strength and power but he does seem to almost chase his own legs.
  • Options
    he needs to be less lisbie like when 1 on 1 with the keeper. I was looking forward to seeing him play with the snake....oh well. 

If we can get him a partner who will take the kicks (maybe chucks), Bonne will score. 3 more so that the snake isn’t too scorer