Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bonne Confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    In Macca's post, top picture ..... that's a great view of the magnificent East Terrace. Also shows how big the South Terrace was behind the goal.

This was The Valley that I grew up with as a kid in the 1960s.

My dad and I used to stand about half way down the East Terrace level with the half way line. As a youngster it always felt like a long haul walking up to the top at the end of the game.
  • Options
    I have faint recollection of standing on the South Terrace with my brother and Dad shouting "Well done Dunne" at our goalie.  
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    In Macca's post, top picture ..... that's a great view of the magnificent East Terrace. Also shows how big the South Terrace was behind the goal.

This was The Valley that I grew up with as a kid in the 1960s.

My dad and I used to stand about half way down the East Terrace level with the half way line. As a youngster it always felt like a long haul walking up to the top at the end of the game.
    Yes, Robin ...... me too, standing very near to you with my own dad, perhaps a little more towards the Covered End though.

They'd be me and a couple of my mates, my sister, my Dad and a gaggle of his mates, plus a couple of my uncles and cousins.

And the same groups of regular supporters would be around us - and we'd have banter with them too.

Everybody always seemed to have their 'own' spot on the old East Terrace.
    Plus it gave a cracking view of the game.

After the match as a youngster, the long climb up the terraces back to the Sam Bartram entrance was like walking on air after the excitement of a good result with a late 'grandstand finish'. The climb went on forever if we'd lost!
  • Options
    I have faint recollection of standing on the South Terrace with my brother and Dad shouting "Well done Dunne" at our goalie.  
    Well, you would Wood. It was the Wright thing to do.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Well, you would Wood. It was the Wright thing to do.

Might have to Wakeham up first, but we always Rose to the occasion
  • Options
    One of my favourite photos of the old East Terrace. I think this was the game where we beat Spurs 4 1 and Flanny scored a hat trick.
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
  • Options
    One of my favourite photos of the old East Terrace. I think this was the game where we beat Spurs 4 1 and Flanny scored a hat trick.
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
    The ground only half full then....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
    30,706 was the official crowd attendance figure and takings submitted on the tax return.

All of us who were in the crowd day that day reckoned around 40,000.
    You couldn't move. The terraces were rammed.

• Options
    Bonne is surely the real surprise and success story of the season so far
  • Options
    Work smarter not harder and all that.
  • Options
    If you need someone to run around a lot just stick me out there!!...cant play Football for toffee but will do me best
  • Options
    If you need someone to run around a lot just stick me out there!!...cant play Football for toffee but will do me best
    You're too old. You can't play Forever, you know. :smile:

• Options
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
    Not even ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    IIRC    Att 30,706.
    30,706 was the official crowd attendance figure and takings submitted on the tax return.

Big crowd for sure but for me the biggest I've seen at the Valley in 54 years was the 0=0 FA cup game against the glaziers in 68/69 & I think they announced it as 33000 :-) utter nonsense.
  • Options
    If he wants to learn the art of conserving energy, then hitting a hat trick from nowhere, he should have a world with the expert, one Mr Killer Hales!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    IIRC    Att 30,706.

Big crowd for sure but for me the biggest I've seen at the Valley in 54 years was the 0=0 FA cup game against the glaziers in 68/69 & I think they announced it as 33000 :-) utter nonsense.
    I was there and it was heaving. The crowd all laughed when they announced the gate.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    IIRC    Att 30,706.

Two other games that season palarse and Derby in the league. 
    All 3 games had a much higher attendance than was announced. 
  • Options
    Sometimes I get the impression that some players run around aimlessly to show the manager (and fans) they are making an effort

"He didn't have a single shot on target but at least he tried hard"

Nobody is going to be fully fit at the moment, so pointless chasing the keeper down for the sake of it, especially when the keeper is hardly in the Ederson class when it comes to his kicking!
  • Options
    Missing a few sitters becoming a habit. I remember this a few cases (like an easy header in last minute of a game) just before cv19. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Missing a few sitters becoming a habit. I remember this a few cases (like an easy header in last minute of a game) just before cv19. 
    I remember Orient fans mentioning this when we signed him

"He'll put in a lot of effort for you, but will miss as often as he scores" was the common opinion from them

I dont mind too much if he keeps missing, its when he's not even getting chances that I'll be worried
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    IIRC    Att 30,706.

The Spurs win was one of the best ever I've witnessed. Particularly satisfying for Flash was not just his hat trick inside 15 minutes but, of course, because he had been let go by Spurs. Their side had a young Glenn Hoddle and also three players who would go on to play for us - namely Terry Naylor, Don McAllister and Martin Robinson. 

Sadly my other real memory of the game was Mark Penfold breaking his leg. I was sat with my Dad in the West Stand and it happened right in front of us - you literally heard the crack when he went into that tackle which I think was either with McAlister or Taylor. Their was no blame attached to the Spurs player but, sadly, Mark never recovered from that. Years later I had the pleasure of playing cricket against him and his son although I must admit I didn't recognise him at first because his distinctive curly locks had by then deserted him.

The only real connection with Bonne is that both he and Mark played for Orient albeit that our former full back only played a couple of times for them after leaving us before joining Maidstone. I hope that Bonne goes on to become a fans favourite as Mark was in his short career with us.