Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019/20 Champions League

Comments

• Options
    I posted that last line to see how many posts it would take to get a Keegan mention/clip.
    Well done @DamoNorthStand you didn’t let the side down.
  • Options
    I mentioned on the Serie A thread a couple of weeks back a single game knockout format in neutral stadiums is made for Atalanta.

They’re so good going forward they are capable of out scoring any team imo, my doubts would have been against an experienced Champions League outfit over two legs. They were 22/1 a few weeks back, after a great post lockdown run and a favourable draw they are into 12s.

I’m not getting carried away and saying they are favourites are anything silly like that but the change in format favours them and their style, whilst hindering others.

I'd love to see them do it, absolutely love it.
    Do you know think you are slightly bias, yes Atlanta are scoring for fun and neutral venue. But still some of the other sides in there still should be too good for them? Can see them beating PSG if they play well, but Athletico are solid at the back so that would bea big test. Assume you have backed them? 
  • Options
    Atletico will bore their way to another final 
  • Options
    I mentioned on the Serie A thread a couple of weeks back a single game knockout format in neutral stadiums is made for Atalanta.

They’re so good going forward they are capable of out scoring any team imo, my doubts would have been against an experienced Champions League outfit over two legs. They were 22/1 a few weeks back, after a great post lockdown run and a favourable draw they are into 12s.

I’m not getting carried away and saying they are favourites are anything silly like that but the change in format favours them and their style, whilst hindering others.

I'd love to see them do it, absolutely love it.
    Do you know think you are slightly bias, yes Atlanta are scoring for fun and neutral venue. But still some of the other sides in there still should be too good for them? Can see them beating PSG if they play well, but Athletico are solid at the back so that would bea big test. Assume you have backed them? 
    Yea, I did mention I was perhaps a little bias towards them ;) BUT like I say, I’m not expecting them to win it, just that the new format definitely suits them.
    Atletico will be sooo much harder than PSG, and they’re not even favourites to beat PSG anyway.

i backed them when the new format was announced at 22/1

• Options
    Just seen that PSG will actually have some competitive games prior to the champions league restart.

France cancelled their league but not the cups, so PSG will play in both the cup final and the league cup final at the end of July.
  • Options
    Atalanta's chances may have just got better.

Mbappe just hobbled off with an ankle injury after a dreadful tackle. St Etienne defender red carded for it. He has to be a huge doubt for the CL tie next month now.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The brawl after that tackle had serious potential, there was a moment I really expected a couple of right handers to come in. ASSE keeper meant business.
  • Options
    Didn’t think that tackle was that bad!
  • Options
    On another note, Mbappe who is still only 21, won the 10th trophy of his career last night!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 great games tonight.

City lead Real Madrid 2-1. 4-2 City on aggregate.

Juve are 2-1 up v Lyon but Lyon lead on away goals. It goes without saying that Ronaldo scored both Juve goals.
  • Options
    Admittedly don’t watch much of Madrid and I’ve only got half an eye on a small screen as I’m watching Juventus but my god Madrid are poor on the ball. Every time I glance at the screen they are giving away possession.

Question for those that watch Madrid more often....I assume they’ve played decent since the restart so what’s tonight about? Ramos a huge loss but Militao and Varane are both good defenders in their own right. They look clueless trying to play it out from the back.
  • Options
    Probably the worst game Varane has ever had in his career. Such an experienced player who's won everything, yet badly at fault for both goals.
  • Options
    Man City vs Lyon

two absolute European giants out.
  • Options
    The first time Zidane has ever lost a Champions league knockout tie as manager.
  • Options
    Bale will be loving it...
  • Options
    He got a touch on the ball first, not a bad tackle, just bad luck.
  • Options
    That is a disgraceful and wreckless tackle. Why do we still see it in today's game? I love the way the game has evolved over the last 30 years and really appreciate how the rule changes have contributed to ensuring football remains the most beautiful and exciting sport on the planet. Watching modern players pressing and tackling without going to ground is an example of how the game has evolved for the better. I could throw myself at a sprinting Ronaldo and be confident of connecting with the ball at some point in the tackle maybe once in 20 or 30 attempts. If people want to see that kind of violence they have the ugly sports available like Aussie Rules and all forms of rugby.
  • Options
    Just seen that Lewandowski's goal tonight is his 52nd of the season, from just 44 games.

A superb scoring record, but what impressed me more was that of the 44 games he's played, he scored in 36 of them!
  • Options
    Just seen that Lewandowski's goal tonight is his 52nd of the season, from just 44 games.

A superb scoring record, but what impressed me more was that of the 44 games he's played, he scored in 36 of them!
    Not allowed the Ballon D'or though. 

He deserves it so much after his fantastic career and it's been stolen from his place in history. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea’s 7-1 aggregate defeat to Bayern is their biggest ever loss in a two-legged European tie
  • Options
    Chelsea’s 7-1 aggregate defeat to Bayern is their biggest ever loss in a two-legged European tie
    Bayern’s total aggregate score against London teams over the last few years 32-9
  • Options
    That is a disgraceful and wreckless tackle. Why do we still see it in today's game? I love the way the game has evolved over the last 30 years and really appreciate how the rule changes have contributed to ensuring football remains the most beautiful and exciting sport on the planet. Watching modern players pressing and tackling without going to ground is an example of how the game has evolved for the better. I could throw myself at a sprinting Ronaldo and be confident of connecting with the ball at some point in the tackle maybe once in 20 or 30 attempts. If people want to see that kind of violence they have the ugly sports available like Aussie Rules and all forms of rugby

Do me a favour; it was just a late tackle. Nothing like rugby or Aussie rules.

Besides, how on earth can you say that modern day footballers don't go to ground? They dive all over the place. Did you watch Arsenal in the FA Cup Final?

The thing I hate about modern football is referees blowing for the slightest touch just because the opposing player throws himself on the ground.

We must be watching two different modern realities.

• Options
    First of the quarter finals tonight. Atalanta v PSG.

The big team news is that Mbappe has trained and will play some part in the game.

The bad news for Atalanta is that Josip Illicic is still missing (as he was for their last few Serie A games) for one of the most bizarre reasons you'll ever hear. During some time off, he travelled home to Slovenia to surprise his wife........and found her in bed with another man. He's been missing ever since with depression. 
  • Options
    I am ridiculously excited for the game tonight.
    Ilicic is a huge loss but Atalanta are far from a one man team.

I’m feeling a Papu Gomez inspired win to continue this amazing story.
  • Options
    I am ridiculously excited for the game tonight.
    Ilicic is a huge loss but Atalanta are far from a one man team.

I’m feeling a Papu Gomez inspired win to continue this amazing story.
    Illicic is a great player, i really hope they win. One being the underdog and also PSG cant stand them. 
  • Options

The big team news is that Mbappe has trained and will play some part in the game.

The bad news for Atalanta is that Josip Illicic is still missing (as he was for their last few Serie A games) for one of the most bizarre reasons you'll ever hear. During some time off, he travelled home to Slovenia to surprise his wife........and found her in bed with another man. He's been missing ever since with depression. 
    Thats actually quite sad. Hope he is ok and comes back.
    Fancy Atalanta to give it a good go still but just fall short. Rekon Leipzig without Werner will fall short too and Man City surely will beat Lyon.
    Its the Barca v Bayern game im looking forward to, very difficult to call in a one game knockout, but with Barca and their new covid scare i will go for Bayern.
    So City, Bayern, Athletico, PSG semis for me.
    Interested to hear yours.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Fancy Atalanta to give it a good go still but just fall short. Rekon Leipzig without Werner will fall short too and Man City surely will beat Lyon.
    Its the Barca v Bayern game im looking forward to, very difficult to call in a one game knockout, but with Barca and their new covid scare i will go for Bayern.
    It was Todibo, he has not been in contact with any player who is set to travel to Lisbon and is at home in quarantine now

• Options

It was Todibo, he has not been in contact with any player who is set to travel to Lisbon and is at home in quarantine now

Cheers.
    Still fancy Bayern
  • Options

Atletico Madrid say forward Angel Correa and defender Sime Vrsaljko tested positive for coronavirus before Thursday's Champions League quarter-final against RB Leipzig in Lisbon.

The players are isolating at home and will miss the rest of the tournament.