Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My First Trip To England-Advice Needed

Comments

• edited June 2019
    iainment said:
    re accommodation we would need to know your budget/what your minimum standard is.

re London just follow whatever you're interested in. There'll be something to see and do whenever you're here. Let us know and we can be specific.

re the football I'd say be a bit more adventourus. Luton is a shit ground. Why not go to one of the better grounds further out. You'd be able to get the coach so you'd get back however far it is. Or even stay overnight.

I hope you have a great trip whatever you do.

Agreed, Luton and Kenilworth Road are bad enough for those of us who live here. That away end is tragically bad, last year there was 1 urinal by the bar so everyone wazzed on the floor and it flooded. Plus their fans are real w*nkers, plus there are the police buses to and from the ground…

For combos, objectively Swansea H midweek + Fulham A is pretty good. Derby H + Bristol City A is shortly after, it’d mean a night over but Bristol is one of the nicest cities we have. Near to Bath as well which attracts a lot of tourists. Luton is a total hovel in comparison.

• Ross will be undertaking research into the effects of alcohol on the nervous system.

• edited June 2019
    iainment said:
    re accommodation we would need to know your budget/what your minimum standard is.

re London just follow whatever you're interested in. There'll be something to see and do whenever you're here. Let us know and we can be specific.

re the football I'd say be a bit more adventourus. Luton is a shit ground. Why not go to one of the better grounds further out. You'd be able to get the coach so you'd get back however far it is. Or even stay overnight.

For accommodation, I can probably afford a hotel if I needed to but since there are quite a few good hostels in London that are the more logical choice, especially since I plan to be out and about most of the time so i just need a place to lay my head. 25 pounds a day should be doable and I think St. Christopher's Inn in Greenwich will be a good shout for obvious reasons. Would only be 95 pounds for the week (Cheers @SuedeAdidas for the tip!)

In terms of the football, this was a tough one. Ideally, Swansea at Home on October 2nd and Fulham Away on the 5 the would be the most ideal, however I will still be at my Internship until the end of October so I needed to find a couple dates after October that worked. Also, I figured if I could find a Saturday home and Tuesday away, that would work the best for travel purposes so I'm not flying in and out on a weekend. 

The other option for me would be December 7th away to Middlesbrough, and then Home to Huddersfield on the 10th. Which would make my first ever game an away game, which would indeed be unique and probably easier to get tickets for. Might have to consider that option as well
  • Rossman92 said:
    Good morning all! I've been tentatively planning my first England/Charlton trip for months now, and now that the fixtures came out this morning, I now have a date to shoot for. I'm hoping to do a home and away while I'm in England, so the dates I'm shooting for are Cardiff home on November 23rd, and Luton away on the 26th. With Luton being so close I'd expect we'd bring a decent following, would anyone think it might be difficult for me to get tickets for that match?

Also, I'll probabaly be in London for a week and have been looking into Hostels to stay at as they are the affordable option for a college student like me. Has anyone had any experiences with Hostels and can tell me if it's worth it? Or would it be better just to get a hotel for the week?. And if so, any suggestions on a good deal? 

Lots of questions I know, but what better place to get them answered than by you lovely people? :D 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Can't wait to finally get myself to the Valley, absolutely buzzing!
    @RedPanda had a good shout with air bnb.

Alternatively, hotels.com is a very good site.
  • If you’re wanting somewhere more central, then I highly recommend Wombats Hostel, a 10 minute walk from Tower Bridge. 

My mates from around the world usually end up staying here. Clean and comfortable dorm rooms, and the Victorian basement has been converted into a terrific bar. 
  • Remember to always strike up conversations with fellow passengers on the tube
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Luton is bad but Boro is a long bloody way AND bad so if they are your choices Luton is best.  Greenwich is a good shout unless you have the budget to be very central which has obvious advantages for a tourist just in terms of ease.

Assuming you wish to see some of London and are on a very tight budget then “the sky garden” is great for views and is free to visit so i would definitely recommend over the shard which costs £25 to go up.  If you google it you will find it easy enough, there are limited tickets per day and you have to book a week or two in advance, released on a Monday morning if i recall.  
  • Luton may well be a shithole to live in but I still enjoy an away game there. 
    Last season was quality. 
  • Keep an eye out for deals on the hotel search websites. I just got 3 nights in a single room in the best western 5 minutes walk from victoria station for £145. 
  • Friend of friend stayed at St Christopher’s Inn hostel in Greenwich when he visited London and liked it. It’s right next to Greenwich station so 10 minutes on the train into town, 2 min train to the Valley and Greenwich has and is close to good nightlife. Plus you get the best view in all of London from the top of the hill in Greenwich Park:

https://www.st-christophers.co.uk/hostels/uk/london/greenwich?matchtype=e&network=g&device=m&adposition=1t1&keyword=st%20christopher%27s%20hostel%20greenwich&matchtype=b&network=g&device=m&adposition=1t1&keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjw3azoBRAXEiwA-_64Oj8MR_nyIWwKc6UFv7PM3MBb5bRmprDOsDRGzDehw3YbiXU7F6hAchoCZcQQAvD_BwE
  • RedPanda said:
    iainment said:

Agreed, Luton and Kenilworth Road are bad enough for those of us who live here. That away end is tragically bad, last year there was 1 urinal by the bar so everyone wazzed on the floor and it flooded. Plus their fans are real w*nkers, plus there are the police buses to and from the ground…

For combos, objectively Swansea H midweek + Fulham A is pretty good. Derby H + Bristol City A is shortly after, it’d mean a night over but Bristol is one of the nicest cities we have. Near to Bath as well which attracts a lot of tourists. Luton is a total hovel in comparison.

Luton, Wolverhampton and Blackpool would possibly be in the top 10 toilets in England.
  • edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    Friend of friend stayed at St Christopher’s Inn hostel in Greenwich when he visited London and liked it. It’s right next to Greenwich station so 10 minutes on the train into town, 2 min train to the Valley on the Silver bullet train and Greenwich has and is close to good nightlife. Plus you get the best view in all of London from the top of the hill in Greenwich Park:
    Fixed that for you :smiley:
    or seven minutes on Southern trains (or whatever they're called now)
  • If I did end up doing Boro away, the length of the trip wouldnt be the issue, it's the question of how I get there. I know that the club runs coaches for away games correct?? Do they do that for every away game or for select ones? 
  • Rossman92 said:
    If I did end up doing Boro away, the length of the trip wouldnt be the issue, it's the question of how I get there. I know that the club runs coaches for away games correct?? Do they do that for every away game or for select ones? 
    The coach would take quite some time, ahem.

York is very nice and could make for a nice weekend away.

• edited June 2019
    Rossman92 said:
    If I did end up doing Boro away, the length of the trip wouldnt be the issue, it's the question of how I get there. I know that the club runs coaches for away games correct?? Do they do that for every away game or for select ones? 
    Boro away by coach would be a nightmare. Probably leaving at 7.00am ish for a 3pm KO.

I just looked up last season's trip to Sunderland which is about 50 miles further for comparison.

But bear in mind the Sunderland game KO was 12.30, so 2.5 hours earlier.

Valley Away will be running a service to Sunderland, priced at £29. Details on pick-up times and locations can be found below:

Larkfield: 3.15am

Gravesend: 3.40am

Dartford: 3.55am

Bexleyheath: 4.10am

Bromley: 4.40am

Eltham: 5am

Charlton 5.15am

• Sponsored links:

• Another thing to consider: the boro/hudds option would mean your valley visit is a Tuesday night game. I love an evening fixture, but for your first ever game surely it has to be a Saturday 3pm...
  • Remember seeing the scenes from Luton, madness. Definitely some benefit to the old grounds! One of my best mates is a Huddersfield fan, if he decides he wants to tag along, I'd do the Boro/Hudds games. If not, it'll be Cardiff/Luton
  • Just curious. Most are saying Boro would be a long journey. How long will it be? By train?
  • Around 3 hours by train, maybe 8 by coach.

Tiny by your standards :p
  • Just curious. Most are saying Boro would be a long journey. How long will it be? By train?
    Nobody on here really knows, Charlton fans usually share a taxi for that one...