Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My First Trip To England-Advice Needed

Comments

• Options
    Definitely do the Cardiff/Luton combo, Boro away (especially by coach) will be a nightmare)
  • Options
    Haha, quite long indeed. I don't travel around a lot in China actually and really don't like long trips. The longest I've been on a train is 4 hours and I still remember how uncomfortable I was by the end of it.😅 

Around 3 hours by train, maybe 8 by coach.

Tiny by your standards :p

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    If you are interested in a B&B there are two places I use in Eltham, which is Charlton territory, both coming in at between £35-45 per night. Both close to the railway station and to the legendary Long Pond pub, run by the equally legendary Lifer, @Riviera. One of the B&Bs is run by a fantastic couple from Sunderland, the guy who is 67, is a Mackem season-ticket holder and great to chat with about footie.

If you are interested, PM me and I will send you contact details

I have a feeling Rossman is young in his 20's?  I think he might want a bit more action that the Long Pond on his first trip to London.  No offence @Riviera but i'm sure you know what i mean!  

Although I am looking forward to the wine tasting event there next week.

Oh good point, we don't want to hear from @Rossman92 that while he was ordering his beer his phone rang and when he innocently answered it the barman frog-marched him out of the pub...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Haha, quite long indeed. I don't travel around a lot in China actually and really don't like long trips. The longest I've been on a train is 4 hours and I still remember how uncomfortable I was by the end of it.😅 

I've done an 18-hour coach and 24-hour train to Yangshuo! I recently took a 7-hour coach to Simao, and about halfway through the trip told my wife never again, in the future we fly.

Luckily Yunnan is starting to get more and more high-speed lines, I can get to Dali in 2 hours now, rather than the 12 hours it used to take!!
  • Options

I've done an 18-hour coach and 24-hour train to Yangshuo! I recently took a 7-hour coach to Simao, and about halfway through the trip told my wife never again, in the future we fly.

Luckily Yunnan is starting to get more and more high-speed lines, I can get to Dali in 2 hours now, rather than the 12 hours it used to take!!
    Jeez... Respect👍 You must feel England is a really small country whenever you go back and do travelling there😂
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Luton may well be a shithole to live in but I still enjoy an away game there. 
    Last season was quality. 
    Ditto - Rossman, we’ll bring a decent contingent and although people class it as a bit of a dump, for me, if you want a proper English stadium from yester-year, this is a really good one, and I actually really liked it.  For starters, the away end is accessed going under the top floor of someone’s house (see photo).  It’s proper cramped in the away end with little leg room, but the limbs and scenes when Solly got that last minute equaliser last season was immense.  If we recreate anything like that you’re in for a treat 

also, and this is just personal preference, the new build stadiums of the turn of the century, all took a very similar plastic unauthentic design.  The likes of M’boro are for me, soulless stadiums.  It’s just my personal opinion, but I’d taken a Luton over a M’boro any day.  Completely up to you, but if you really want to get a feel for a proper old fashioned stadium, and a decent away turnout, opt for Luton

Apologies, forgot to upload photo 
    Thats just bizarre!!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Last season was quality. 
    Ditto - Rossman, we’ll bring a decent contingent and although people class it as a bit of a dump, for me, if you want a proper English stadium from yester-year, this is a really good one, and I actually really liked it.  For starters, the away end is accessed going under the top floor of someone’s house (see photo).  It’s proper cramped in the away end with little leg room, but the limbs and scenes when Solly got that last minute equaliser last season was immense.  If we recreate anything like that you’re in for a treat 

also, and this is just personal preference, the new build stadiums of the turn of the century, all took a very similar plastic unauthentic design.  The likes of M’boro are for me, soulless stadiums.  It’s just my personal opinion, but I’d taken a Luton over a M’boro any day.  Completely up to you, but if you really want to get a feel for a proper old fashioned stadium, and a decent away turnout, opt for Luton

Thats just bizarre!!
    Not an ideal location for a bedroom I'll give you that. 
    You won’t get that at Spurs or any of the new builds.  Might’ve just been the era that I grew up in, but the old stadiums for me are the best now.  I’m sure when I go to Spurs I’ll be blown away, but that character in places like Luton is dying out. I think you have to cherish it before it goes.  I would’ve loved to have got somewhere like Ayresome Park under my belt when I see old footage etc 
    I love Craven Cottage for this reason... Without doubt one of my favourite grounds over the years

Its the beauty of League One as you got a LOT of teams who still arent upgrading their stadiums into these soulless bowls
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jeez... Respect👍 You must feel England is a really small country whenever you go back and do travelling there😂
    I used to complain about going to Preston to see my grandparents, its all about perspective.
  • Options
    Middlesborough is basically flipping Scotland, the only way I'd go that far north is if someone paid me to. 
  • Options
    Having been to Boro before it wouldn’t be my primary choice of a first away game.

Its a bit of an industrial wasteland, think Springfield out of the Simpsons, once done never repeated ( it might put you off footie for good!).

I don’t know how flexible you are with dates, but if I had a choice of my first away game, it would probably be Brentford, Fulham or Notts Forest away.

• Options

Everyone prefers older grounds but having to wade through other fans’ urine crosses a line.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Everyone prefers older grounds but having to wade through other fans’ urine crosses a line.

I've only ever done that at Stevenage away, in Powell's promotion season.
  • Options
    Having been to Boro before it wouldn’t be my primary choice of a first away game.

Its a bit of an industrial wasteland, think Springfield out of the Simpsons, once done never repeated ( it might put you off footie for good!).

I don’t know how flexible you are with dates, but if I had a choice of my first away game, it would probably be Brentford, Fulham or Notts Forest away.

Would love to take in a game at Craven Cottage but I'll still be doing my apprenticeship in October so cant take off work to make the trip. Kenilworth Road does look like a bit of a dump, but 20 years down the line when every stadium is modernized, we'll miss the trasheaps like that
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Last season was quality. 

Thats just bizarre!!
    Remind me of the back of ONeills Bromley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will you get a stars and bars with a Charlton logo in the middle?
  • Options
    Good stuff, Ross.... Am sure you'll love arriving at the Valley and feeling part of a tribe... Enjoy!
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Middlesborough is basically flipping Scotland, the only way I'd go that far north is if someone paid me to. 
    Most of Scotland, even inner city Glasgow, is much prettier than Middlesbrough. 

Have a great trip, Ross!
  • Options
    Premier Inn in Greenwich as well - helps to book in advance.
    Also one just outside Lewisham station.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    At the Columbus Crew game today. Ran into an Arsenal supporter and chatted him up for a few minutes. Mentioned I support Charlton and he responded, "Fucking hell, I love Charlton!". Said he helped out with cleaning up the Valley when we returned in the 90's, nice bloke!!! Also mentioned that I'd be coming over for a game and said he fancies a Luton away day. 

You run into some great people at footy!
    Tell him from me as a Charlton fan. We don't give a toss if he loves us and helped us clean up the valley (though it was nice of him) just make sure we can have bielik for next season. 
    Also who is this crew? Nawty lot are they? Or just the seafaring type? 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    At the Columbus Crew game today. Ran into an Arsenal supporter and chatted him up for a few minutes. Mentioned I support Charlton and he responded, "Fucking hell, I love Charlton!". Said he helped out with cleaning up the Valley when we returned in the 90's, nice bloke!!! Also mentioned that I'd be coming over for a game and said he fancies a Luton away day. 

You run into some great people at footy!
    Tell him from me as a Charlton fan. We don't give a toss if he loves us and helped us clean up the valley (though it was nice of him) just make sure we can have bielik for next season. 
    Also who is this crew? Nawty lot are they? Or just the seafaring type? 
    Major League Soccer team. They were shit