Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

@FootballerGay on Twitter

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Hopefully it'll be like when Steve Davies came out. A (welcome) ripple of applause from the media and then get on with the game.
    Steve Davies ?
    Steve "interesting" Davies or another Steve Davies ?
    If him I never knew.
    Interesting was Davis.
  • Options
    and also the holier than hou from a lot is bollocks as ill freely admit it have joined in with songs about darren ambrose and brighton - dont class myself as homophobic but some would for saying those things. 
    Is Ambrose gay?
  • Options
    Football is horrendously homophonic - I genuinely think the vocal minority will give anyone that is brave enough to come out untold grief 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Football is horrendously homophonic - I genuinely think the vocal minority will give anyone that is brave enough to come out untold grief 
    I don’t think they will.

Yes, there will be a few idiots at first but I think the majority will shout louder and hopefully shame them into turning it in.
  • Options
    Sweet, salty or toffee?
    Pineapple is supposed to do wonders.

Oh, sorry, not that. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    and also the holier than hou from a lot is bollocks as ill freely admit it have joined in with songs about darren ambrose and brighton - dont class myself as homophobic but some would for saying those things. 
    Is Ambrose gay?

Around the same time there was a rumour going around that other players thought Le Saux was gay just for reading the Guardian. It was probably something equally stupid that earned Ambrose the same label. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    What would happen today if a player did this to an opponent he suspected was gay?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Is Ambrose gay?
    Who cares?
    Ambrose’s mrs
  • Options
    What would happen today if a player did this to an opponent he suspected was gay?

If it were now Fowler would really be in deep trouble with the FA.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Football is horrendously homophonic 

• Options
    When whoever this is reveals himself on TalkSport tomorrow you'll gonna say WHO?????

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    What a load of nonsense. If you're gay, you're gay. It's 2019 for crying out loud.  All this cryptic stuff on Twitter is unnecessary.  

No need to turn your sexuality into a publicity stunt

It's 2019. People are still getting abused and assaulted for their sexuality. No high profile male football player has come out publicly while still playing in decades. So yeah it does need publicity and lots of it.
    But WHY haven't there been more former players coming out, as surely if there were people hiding their sexuality while playing they'd feel free to come out once retired? Thomas Hitzlsperger came out and got lots of support for example, but I'm struggling to think of anyone else.

The lack of ex pros coming out suggests to me that the number of current players who are gay is probably a tiny number.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Is Ambrose gay?
    Who cares?
    Precisely.

Your sexual preferences do not change who you are as a person.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    I can’t see why it should be......the game ‘at club level’ is no more homophobic than any other section of society.
    The problem is more with the fans on the terrace and the media’s on going fascination with footballers lives and lifestyles.
    Not forgetting the huge mileage the tabloids generate through their largely fanciful made up or overblown reporting methods.
    I honestly don’t understand why you say that football is horrendously homophobic, I don’t entirely agree with that assertion.
    It can be homophobic at times, of that I have no doubt, but not more or less than other professions.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I distinctly recall a conversation between me and one of my best pals when another good friend of ours called us to a summit to a pub in Gillingham to tell us what we had known for years, that he was gay. This would have been in about 2000 or 2001 at the latest. 

Now before I write anymore I'm not trying to garner any thought that I am anything but a knuckle dragging caveman. I'm not a deep thinker but I am an honest conveyor of my thoughts.

When our pal went to the bog me and my other mate digested and spoke about what we had been told and agreed it was no big deal for us, that it would have been a big deal for him and it didnt bother us in the slightest. I also commented that in ten years there wouldn't be any gay/straight anymore just people shagging who they wanted, so that would have taken us to 2010 or 11. Our mate came back and we began the predictable playful puerile jokes and questions and piss taking, in the same tone that we had always talked and we are all still very close pals. As far as I'm concerned my friend X is not 'my gay mate' has just one of my chums who happens to prefer shagging men, which is absolutely gravy with me and a total afterthought now.

In the intervening years I have attended gay pride in Brighton, kind of by accident as I was seeing a gorgeous woman from Brighton qt the time and that was the weekend it happened to be mutually convenient for me to come and stay as opposed to the poor girl having to come and stop with me at mine again.  I had a fantastic time, ticked every stereotypical box that a straight white male does when attending the single most flamboyant and extravagant event in the UK and not at any point was I thinking 'why do these people have to make such a song and dance about being gay', I was just swept along with the whole thing and had an amazing time.  Not to say @palarsehater is wrong because he is pretty much saying what I thought would have already happened by 2010.

And if I'm being honest I genuinely believe we are past point Rubicon now in regards homosexuality in the UK, you will always get incidents, isolated incidents, like the one where 2 poor girls were beaten up for refusing to appease a bunch of neanderthals on a bus anymore than a third generation bloke of Pakistani heritage has any right to call a nation racist or bigoted because some doughnut has racially abused them in the past and seek solace in some Jihadi preacher. I don't think anyone can attempt to use that as an example of the UK being intolerant. Britain is one of the most tolerant places on earth and I guarantee when the first professional footballer does come out they will have the support of most 99.9% of their colleagues and opponents certainly ones indigenous to Great Britain and I genuinely believe most football crowds will be supportive too.

We've all realised singing songs about people loving it up the arse and holding hands have no place in society and at least @palarsehater has been ballsy enough to admit he's done it and laughed about it, so have I, and I could identify a lot of liars who say they haven't I'd I really wanted to. Its obviously unacceptable but more to the point, I didnt have the wherewithal and emotional intelligence to realise it was wrong at the time, I do now and have done for a long time. Key thing is not to do it again and to understand why it's wrong. 

And in regards people being gay, straight, whatever in the workplace I firmly believe that is the business of as few or as many people as I choose to make it. I would absolutely put anyone who stalked my facebook account in their place and embarrass them, if a fucking team leader tried any of the bullshit mentioned earlier I'd be dealing with them, if I was keeping my business to myself and some prick on 20 pound a week more than me decided to try and discover my business for the purpose of nosey dickheads on the office I'd turn them onside out. That person, annoying or not would have had a very solid case for constructive dismissal/workplace bullying just from the snippets shared. 

Can we get back to talking about cocks and arsewiping now? 
    But Would ya though mate ? 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I distinctly recall a conversation between me and one of my best pals when another good friend of ours called us to a summit to a pub in Gillingham to tell us what we had known for years, that he was gay. This would have been in about 2000 or 2001 at the latest. 

Now before I write anymore I'm not trying to garner any thought that I am anything but a knuckle dragging caveman. I'm not a deep thinker but I am an honest conveyor of my thoughts.

When our pal went to the bog me and my other mate digested and spoke about what we had been told and agreed it was no big deal for us, that it would have been a big deal for him and it didnt bother us in the slightest. I also commented that in ten years there wouldn't be any gay/straight anymore just people shagging who they wanted, so that would have taken us to 2010 or 11. Our mate came back and we began the predictable playful puerile jokes and questions and piss taking, in the same tone that we had always talked and we are all still very close pals. As far as I'm concerned my friend X is not 'my gay mate' has just one of my chums who happens to prefer shagging men, which is absolutely gravy with me and a total afterthought now.

In the intervening years I have attended gay pride in Brighton, kind of by accident as I was seeing a gorgeous woman from Brighton qt the time and that was the weekend it happened to be mutually convenient for me to come and stay as opposed to the poor girl having to come and stop with me at mine again.  I had a fantastic time, ticked every stereotypical box that a straight white male does when attending the single most flamboyant and extravagant event in the UK and not at any point was I thinking 'why do these people have to make such a song and dance about being gay', I was just swept along with the whole thing and had an amazing time.  Not to say @palarsehater is wrong because he is pretty much saying what I thought would have already happened by 2010.

And if I'm being honest I genuinely believe we are past point Rubicon now in regards homosexuality in the UK, you will always get incidents, isolated incidents, like the one where 2 poor girls were beaten up for refusing to appease a bunch of neanderthals on a bus anymore than a third generation bloke of Pakistani heritage has any right to call a nation racist or bigoted because some doughnut has racially abused them in the past and seek solace in some Jihadi preacher. I don't think anyone can attempt to use that as an example of the UK being intolerant. Britain is one of the most tolerant places on earth and I guarantee when the first professional footballer does come out they will have the support of most 99.9% of their colleagues and opponents certainly ones indigenous to Great Britain and I genuinely believe most football crowds will be supportive too.

We've all realised singing songs about people loving it up the arse and holding hands have no place in society and at least @palarsehater has been ballsy enough to admit he's done it and laughed about it, so have I, and I could identify a lot of liars who say they haven't I'd I really wanted to. Its obviously unacceptable but more to the point, I didnt have the wherewithal and emotional intelligence to realise it was wrong at the time, I do now and have done for a long time. Key thing is not to do it again and to understand why it's wrong. 

And in regards people being gay, straight, whatever in the workplace I firmly believe that is the business of as few or as many people as I choose to make it. I would absolutely put anyone who stalked my facebook account in their place and embarrass them, if a fucking team leader tried any of the bullshit mentioned earlier I'd be dealing with them, if I was keeping my business to myself and some prick on 20 pound a week more than me decided to try and discover my business for the purpose of nosey dickheads on the office I'd turn them onside out. That person, annoying or not would have had a very solid case for constructive dismissal/workplace bullying just from the snippets shared. 

He wouldn't have let me, always used to smash me in arm wrestles and could probably bench press the pair of us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:

He wouldn't have let me, always used to smash me in arm wrestles and could probably bench press the pair of us!
    It's elfsborg isn't it. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I can’t see why it should be......the game ‘at club level’ is no more homophobic than any other section of society.
    The problem is more with the fans on the terrace and the media’s on going fascination with footballers lives.
    Not forgetting the huge mileage the tabloids generate through their largely fanciful made up or overblown reporting methods.
    I honestly don’t understand why you say that football is horrendously homophobic, I don’t entirely agree with that assertion.
    It can be homophobic at times, of that I have no doubt, but not more or less than other professions.
    Agreed. Looking at our players for example doing their pre season training, can you imagine them not giving a gay teammate 100% support? Would we as fans target a gay player whether for us or against us?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It's a numbers game?

In female sport because the gay % was higher it's never appeared to be a problem, in the last 20 years or so.

The England Olympic Hockey captain or the USA Football Captain: So many gay folk in female sport that the main issue is their right to be taken seriously as professional athletes just like their straight female colleges.

In the men's game where you may only have 1 player in a squad of 24 who is gay then there are hurdles to overcome for that individual in a macho world of banter in the insular bubble of team sport.

Interesting that a couple of CL members went straight for the money aspect of being the first openly young gay footballer at a high level ( championship)
    So when it's happens whether now or in years to come I hope the gay player does donate to the appropriate causes because otherwise financial reasons will be suspected.

It's a numbers game. 

Ps. I do know about Justin Fashanu, and this must've affected other gay players and why they hid their sexual orientation.

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    What a load of nonsense. If you're gay, you're gay. It's 2019 for crying out loud.  All this cryptic stuff on Twitter is unnecessary.  

It's 2019. People are still getting abused and assaulted for their sexuality. No high profile male football player has come out publicly while still playing in decades. So yeah it does need publicity and lots of it.
    Slightly off tangent, but has anyone been charged for the bus attack yet?
  • Options
    It's a numbers game?

In female sport because the gay % was higher it's never appeared to be a problem, in the last 20 years or so.

The England Olympic Hockey captain or the USA Football Captain: So many gay folk in female sport that the main issue is their right to be taken seriously as professional athletes just like their straight female colleges.

In the men's game where you may only have 1 player in a squad of 24 who is gay then there are hurdles to overcome for that individual in a macho world of banter in the insular bubble of team sport.

Interesting that a couple of CL members went straight for the money aspect of being the first openly young gay footballer at a high level ( championship)
    So when it's happens whether now or in years to come I hope the gay player does donate to the appropriate causes because otherwise financial reasons will be suspected.

It's a numbers game. 

Ps. I do know about Justin Fashanu, and this must've affected other gay players and why they hid their sexual orientation.

Of course what happened to Justin Fashanu affected other players, the poor man killed himself because of the open mockery and possible because his brother decided to disown him too

Statistically there will be dozens if not hundreds of gay professonal footballers, hopefully society and football have moved on enough for everyone to just shrug their shoulders and say whatever. 

I couldn't care less if our next signing is gay. If he is also a creative midfielder who doesn't get injury lay offs of 9 months and sets up our forwards. 

Also, I hope this person isn't treated as a special case, they deserve respect however I really hope they are judged on their footballing merits rather than being a openly gay trailblazer solely
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I’d be amazed if we didn’t have one in our club. 
    In fact I’d go far as to say I bet there is and more than one. 
    And I hope they know that the vast majority of us couldn’t care less. 

Please let this not be a wind up. 
    It could really cause some damage if it is. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    It's a numbers game?

It's a numbers game. 

Of course what happened to Justin Fashanu affected other players, the poor man killed himself because of the open mockery and possible because his brother decided to disown him too

Statistically there will be dozens if not hundreds of gay professonal footballers, hopefully society and football have moved on enough for everyone to just shrug their shoulders and say whatever. 

I couldn't care less if our next signing is gay. If he is also a creative midfielder who doesn't get injury lay offs of 9 months and sets up our forwards. 

Also, I hope this person isn't treated as a special case, they deserve respect however I really hope they are judged on their footballing merits rather than being a openly gay trailblazer solely

There was more to his suicide than that. He was also accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old boy and warrants had been issued for his arrest just before he killed himself. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    It's a numbers game?

It's a numbers game. 

There was more to his suicide than that. He was also accused of sexually assaulting a 17 year old boy and warrants had been issued for his arrest just before he killed himself. 
    Fair and true point, whilst I'm absolutely not saying that the allegation of sexual assault against a 17 year old boy is acceptable the question remains would he have done that if he wasn't under such enormous mental strain by the british press, the football world and his own family. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    thenewbie said:

Slightly off tangent, but has anyone been charged for the bus attack yet?
    Five people, between the ages of 15 and 18 have been arrested and bailed, so far. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!