Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite cheese

Comments

• Options
    GOUDA
  • Options
    Pretty sure we have done cheese. Nonetheless, the King of Cheese is Epoisses. When ripe you can eat it with a spoon - absolutely delicious.
    I see your Epoisses, and raise you Reblochon... 

Never yet met a traditional-style cheese that I didn't like.  Mass-produced can be okay, sometimes, but, as a pretentious git, I prefer artisan stuff when I can get it (and there are lots of cheeses I'll happily use for cooking/toasting that I'd never eat cold).

A Lancashire (preferably not too mild) with a sweetish apple, as an accompaniment, is lovely. 
    Reblochon is beautiful but expensive outside France. 
    It’s traditionally used in making Tartiflet (spelling). A farmers meal of cheese, onions, potatoes & bacon. One of Hubbys specialities after my sister cooked it for us on our honeymoon. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Pretty sure we have done cheese. Nonetheless, the King of Cheese is Epoisses. When ripe you can eat it with a spoon - absolutely delicious.

Never yet met a traditional-style cheese that I didn't like.  Mass-produced can be okay, sometimes, but, as a pretentious git, I prefer artisan stuff when I can get it (and there are lots of cheeses I'll happily use for cooking/toasting that I'd never eat cold).

A Lancashire (preferably not too mild) with a sweetish apple, as an accompaniment, is lovely. 
    It’s traditionally used in making Tartiflet (spelling). A farmers meal of cheese, onions, potatoes & bacon. One of Hubbys specialities after my sister cooked it for us on our honeymoon. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You took your sister on your honeymoon?

thats a wedding gift and some!
  • Options
    Dairylea
    Where's that bloody flag button...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cheddar:  Greens extra mature. If I can't get that then probably Quickes extra mature.

Stilton. Old and runny. Used to get it cheap when it was overripe from Leicester market about 40 years ago...

Continental: Manchego & Emmental

• Options
    Stinking Bishop
  • Options
    oldbloke said:
    Stinking Bishop
    Had some recently - fantastic flavour but boy does it stink!
  • Options

You took your sister on your honeymoon?

thats a wedding gift and some!
    We stayed with them in French France. 
    We had no money, it was the best we could do lol
  • Options
    oldbloke said:
    Stinking Bishop
    Had some recently - fantastic flavour but boy does it stink!
    Its the pear cider they feed the cows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Place to go to buy great British cheese....... I go to the one in Borough Market whilst having a few Sherberts in the Porter. https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/
  • Options
    Smoked Applewood. Nice with digestives too. 
    Very good cheese if you want to throw up, which I did after having it.
  • Options

My favourite food unfortunately for me. I would say it is something we excel at in this country. I'll probably eat most cheeses as long as they are veggie but I have 3 favourites depending where and when. 

1. M&S Cornish Cruncher, No.7 on the Richter scale. After eating that every other cheddar is cheese for people who don't like cheese. Sandwiches for work and the ultimate cheese on toast. 

2. Stilton, (not the cheap stuff), King of all cheese throughout the known world. Sandwich or biscuit at home

3. Brie. Inoffensive generic something to go with a tomato stuff.  Saturday afternoon sandwich with the wife.

Just tried the Cornish Cruncher Three Year Old Vintage - lovely cheese with plenty of favour but not too strong. 
  • Options
    What's your favourite and what do you eat it with?

Hard to choose between Cheddar and Stilton for me - preferably with digestives. Tried some 'stinking bishop' recently which was pretty impressive.
    If those are your favourite cheeses try this: 

https://www.ibfoods.com/huntsman-gloucester-with-stilton/

it covers both bases and is absolutely delicious.

Gloucester is made the same way as Cheddar, but specifically uses milk from Gloucester cows.
  • Options
    I'm a real cheese addick and will try any cheese, except that one with the maggots (IIRC it comes from Sardinia). 

I love Cheddar, Stilton, Burrata, Munster, Brie, Camembert, Pepper Jack, I could go on, but won't. 
  • Options
    Cheshire
  • Options
    Didn’t even realise there was a cheese thread!

Goes well with beer & toast!
  • Options
    I just made cheese for the first time the other day. Ricotta. Surprisingly easy. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I like Rodney's Gorgonzola.

And anyone who wants some will be served up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I once brought one of these cheeses with me on a Ryanair plane from Billund to Stansted. Big mistake. Luckily no one knew where the smell came from.
    Yes, it does stink, but the flavour - amazing. Best on ryebread of freshly baked white bread.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Stilton - a top quality one, not a poor supermarket one that tastes of soap.

A ripe and soft delight from France - it could be brie, camembert, Mont d'Or (Vacherin in Switzerland) or one of the many others of a similar style.

Montgomery cheddar.

Gruyère.

Mature gouda and old Amsterdam.

Roquefort.

Something you find on holiday in the town square on market day that you've never heard of before and won't come across again.

I don't have anything with good cheese.  I'll have cheddar on toast, a brie and grape sandwich, red Leicester on a buttered digestive biscuit, etc. but I wouldn't use good cheese for that.

P.S. The worst cheeses I've ever tasted are Monterey Jack and anything mass-produced in the USA.  I'm not saying our transatlantic friends can't make good cheese but their mass market stuff is truly abysmal.
  • Options

I won't ask why you took your sister with you on your honeymoon.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    cafc-west said:
    Italian Dolcelatte blue mixed with strips of cream.
    Torta di dolcelatte.  Yum.
  • Options

Not sure if it’s my favourite - but you should all have a go at this bad boy. 

All the way from Brockley too. 
    used to be fantastic, they use a different oil now and it's not even particularly good
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    brie, but i can eat any cheese apart from the ones with fruit in them and haloumi doesn't really interest me.  Blues are good, and I'm not put off by the smells
    The only cheese that I was ever put of by the smell was stinking bishop or whatever it's called. 
    The thought of putting that in my mouth literally made me heave. 
    Must have reminded you of someone from your past.
  • Options
    Casu Marzu...

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD I TRY THIS!!

Has live maggots in it.
    I would 
  • Options
    Maybe not that one - but anything else except mild cheddar (pointless) or Munster (smells of piss). 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Def my weakness. Would give up beer before cheese. Eat it most days in one form or another.

Garlic and herb Boursin is a fave.

Another smoked applewood fan too.

Had a cheese tower at our wedding (pic attached) which was amazing but cannot for the life of me remember any of them.

As an aside our venue, the Barn in Tun Wells, regularly (pre-Covid at least) did free cheese nights 5-7pm midweek with different cheeses and bread /crackers. A fantastic initiative and a great way to try many different cheeses. Unfortunately we live in Maidstone so not often practical but worth a visit if your local or in the area.