Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Gallagher - first league goal for Chelsea (p77)

Comments

• Options
    Because of Conor going: the concern is its imperative we now have quality in our midfield:
    if the attacking midfielder who can score like Conor, can play as a wide man and fill in at LB, Marcus Maddison is still in talks with Cafc, then I suggest we pay an extra grand or two and get him in our squad/ team, if Lee thinks he can manage him, which he must as he has made two trips to see him then a motivated MM would be a good acquisition. 

• Options

Another typical CG assist. Oh how I wish he was playing in the second half yesterday.
  • Options
    Also think he was knackered near the end with us 
  • Options
    He was brilliant for us but he did go off like a rocket and started to look tired towards the end. Think we emptied his tank plus trans have all had at least one look at him now. Even if he’d stayed, it was hard to see the second half of the season being quite as sensational as the the first half. I’d still rather he was here, but I’m fine with him not pulling up any trees at Swansea. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am starting to wonder if he really wanted to leave, or was forced to.
  • Options
    Only watched the 1st half, but he looked a bit jaded against QPR.

It always annoys me when people complain about players like Connor operating the final third 'giving the ball away', if you are trying to be creative and play forward, then there are always risks involved.

Not every pass will hit it's target, and not every player will make the right movement for you.

However if you keep taking risks, then you will get your rewards.
    This is very true. You get a lot of players who fear that groan and play cop out balls. The best players know that there is added risk to playing positively and that 's what sets them apart. If you watch Taylor, he does it too and Sarr. These are players who you need a few of to make your team better.
  • Options
    Persuaded, maybe, but players can't be forced to accept a loan move.
  • Options
    We know that was the case. His agent engineered the move with assistance from someone senior on the commercial side at Chelsea. There are two ex-pros supervising his playing development and neither of them wanted the move. 

He is the star name in an agency portfolio which is otherwise full of no-marks
    ( source Transfermarkt)

Since then ( and for this my source is the excellent Price of Football podcast) it has started to emerge that Chelsea are deep in debt, the Oligarch less engaged, and there is pressure to “monetise” their playing assets more than in the past. 

• Options
    He's only been there 5 minutes and he's only just turned 20 years old. He started the season at Charlton, signed in August, and went into the start of the season knowing what his role was. He's a dynamic, box to box midfielder and the way we set up was perfect for his natural way of playing. Now halfway through the season he's had to unexpectedly uproot, move to a different part of the country and immediately adapt to a new way of playing with new teammates under a new manager. Difficult stuff for a lad who's in his first season of senior football. He'll be ok, he just needs time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Of course, one possible benefit is that if his form continues to dip he might not be so sought after in summer and we might have a chance of getting him for a "reasonable" fee. Long shot, i know...
    Doubtful, although another year on loan might not be out of the question. 
  • Options
    Swansea need to get Cullen on loan if they want the best out of Gallagher.

His performances dropped dramatically when Josh was out for us.
  • Options
    I'm praying he keeps getting pelters from Swansea fans and then comes back to us at the start of next season
    Definitely possible I reckon. I think we all assumed he would be on loan to a prem club next season. But if we show some ambition in the summer it's not beyond the realms of possibilities he is back here for the Season. 
  • Options
    Of course, one possible benefit is that if his form continues to dip he might not be so sought after in summer and we might have a chance of getting him for a "reasonable" fee. Long shot, i know...
    Maybe, but Price of Football alerted me to the change of financial mood at Chelsea. They need to sell to stem the losses, and they do have a huge reserve of good young players, and somebody there may be arguing that they should "monetise" that reserve.
  • Options
    Also, loans don't deliver payday for agents. Sorry to labour this point, but it's absolutely a factor. 
  • Options
    Maybe, but Price of Football alerted me to the change of financial mood at Chelsea. They need to sell to stem the losses, and they do have a huge reserve of good young players, and somebody there may be arguing that they should "monetise" that reserve.
    Quite possibly, but I still cannot see Lampard authorising the sale of a young English midfielder. Looking at their current players out on loan I see several who IMO would be way ahead of Gallagher towards the exit. 
  • Options
    We know that was the case. His agent engineered the move with assistance from someone senior on the commercial side at Chelsea. There are two ex-pros supervising his playing development and neither of them wanted the move. 

He is the star name in an agency portfolio which is otherwise full of no-marks
    ( source Transfermarkt)

Since then ( and for this my source is the excellent Price of Football podcast) it has started to emerge that Chelsea are deep in debt, the Oligarch less engaged, and there is pressure to “monetise” their playing assets more than in the past. 

Whilst his agent may have engineered the move and perhaps even pushed for it, Gallagher had to agree.