Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2019/20

Comments

• Options
    It’s a lesson to Sheffield United but what a shit goal. Is that the effect it’s having on the game? 
  • Options
    Play to the whistle
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It’s a lesson to Sheffield United but what a shit goal. Is that the effect it’s having on the game? 
    Nope thats when VAR is working correctly

The goal was nothing to do with the technology but completely at the fault of the Sheffield United players

Got to remember the goal wouldnt have been given in previous seasons

Referee does an excellent job as he acknowledges the Linesman as he chases after Shelvey knowing he can refer back to VAR if a goal is scored which is what happens - Would have been a travesty had the referee blown his whistle when Shelvey went clear as the goal couldnt have been given - Same with when Grealish was classed as having dived at Selhurst Park, whistle got blown too early (before the ball went in the net) so VAR wasnt allowed to check the decision
  • Options
    I’m not faulting the technology really, but are the linesman now simply there to give throwins? 
  • Options
    I’m not faulting the technology really, but are the linesman now simply there to give throwins? 
    Nope as if you watch them at the Valley they raise only their flag after the referee has signalled which way it should go
  • Options
    So then for example, ref blows straight away for the offside on McGoldrick cos the lino has given it. What if that turned out to be the incorrect decision? Why not play on with all offside calls? Or am I being thick.
  • Options
    Haven't the assistants been advised to only raise their flags when it's a clear offside, and not a marginal call like the one for the Newcastle goal
  • Options
    So then for example, ref blows straight away for the offside on McGoldrick cos the lino has given it. What if that turned out to be the incorrect decision? Why not play on with all offside calls? Or am I being thick.
    Nope thats where the referee shouldnt be blowing straight away

Its certainly safer to just let the game continue and if a goal is scored then the review can include the offside call in whether the goal should be given

The concern of doing that though is if the game continues for 10mins before the game is scored, do you go back to that contentious decision
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Brighton have retaken the lead... Arsenal only five points from the bottom three (10-pts from fourth)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mooy has absolutely run the game tonight for Brighton 
  • Options
    Arsenal don't need to go far for their new manager, Pardew is in the TV studio
  • Options
    ARSENALS LAST LEAGUE WIN.

6TH OCTOBER

2 MONTHS TOMORROW
  • Options
    I knew they were bad but fucking hell they were absolutely shocking. 

I know we say their fans over exaggerate but deary me their players are completely taking the piss with that. 
  • Options
    Shocker of a jumper Pardew is wearing. He needs fashion lessons from Bowyer

• Options
    There's one good reason not to subscribe to Amazon.
  • Options
    Just read BBC Sport football gossip and old big nose fancies the Everton job.
  • Options
    I'm sure he does but that doesn't mean he has any chance of getting it.

His pattern of management is actually similar to Silva's; starts well and then gets found out.
  • Options
    8 year olds are told "play to the whistle" so why didn't the Sheffield players?

There have been plenty of examples in the professional game of players stopping, pre VAR, only for the ref to wave play on. With VAR, it is even more important to carry on 'til they hear that whistle. Perhaps coaches need to reinforce that rather than just moan about it?
  • Options
    Arsenal are in a complete mess right now.
    No real world class players apart from probably Aubameyang and i'm sure he's going to want to leave soon.
    Their board apparently won't pay more than 5-6m for a new manager which is ruling out most of the top guys. As a guide Spurs are paying Mourinho 15m a year!
    Spent 70m on a winger who can't get a game.
    Dwindling crowds.
    Miles off champions league football.
    Worst winless run since 1977.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There have been plenty of examples in the professional game of players stopping, pre VAR, only for the ref to wave play on. With VAR, it is even more important to carry on 'til they hear that whistle. Perhaps coaches need to reinforce that rather than just moan about it?
    Is it OK for players to ignore the linesman's flag when the ball goes out of play and make the ref blow every time.
  • Options
    Arsenal are in a complete mess right now.
    No real world class players apart from probably Aubameyang and i'm sure he's going to want to leave soon.
    Their board apparently won't pay more than 5-6m for a new manager which is ruling out most of the top guys. As a guide Spurs are paying Mourinho 15m a year!
    Spent 70m on a winger who can't get a game.
    Dwindling crowds.
    Miles off champions league football.
    Worst winless run since 1977.
    I know, Its fucking beautiful aint it 
  • Options
    they have been hopeless for years and get away with it. this year as usual a good half of the premier league looks dreadful so Arsenal yet again will be fine.

i think last year i wrote on here somewhere some of the defenders they have and have had over the last few years would struggle in the championship and league 1. a few thought i was exaggerating but i honestly think that to be the truth. they make basic errors week after week. i enjoy watching Arsenal cos it makes me laugh at seeing how calamitous their defence is and knowing how arsenal fans are reacting to it. 
  • Options
    Watching Arsenal TV is enjoyable after a bad result, blud fam and all that.
  • Options
    It's truly bizarre how they felt the need to pay 70m for a winger instead of strengthening their defence. A Dortmund cast off and David Luiz were never going to be the answer. Lampard couldn't wait to get rid of him.
  • Options
    Curbishley , Ferguson and Wenger go and their teams fall apart comparatively speaking and of course we nailed that part .
  • Options
    Very quick thinking from Shelvey there. Same thing happened for leicesters winner against everton the other day. Lino put his flag up, but both sets of players carried on. Ineacho (spl?) scored, then VAR correctly allowed the goal on review. You cant argue it wasnt correct. Sheff utd just mugged themselves by not playing to the whistle. Wilder's comments are ridiculous too. He was happy with VAR when they got the debatable last minute equaliser against man utd the other week!
  • Options

Is it OK for players to ignore the linesman's flag when the ball goes out of play and make the ref blow every time.
    They frequently do, either because it is a close call or the players haven't seen the flag - or when they want to waste time - and the Ref has to then blow his whistle. Equally, how many times does the wrong team, deliberately or not, take a throw in quickly and it isn't even their throw in? The Ref has to blow then too. 

But we are only talking about times when it is debatable whether the ball is out, not when it's been booted into Row Z. We've yet to witness a player receive the ball from a ball boy and then drop it to his feet and carry on playing - but if he did then he would be booked for time wasting. Because it would be against the Spirit of the Game.

And if an offside or thrown in is marginal, with VAR in situ, defenders shouldn't be stopping. If an offside isn't marginal (i.e. the player is well onside) or the player in receipt of the ball isn't the one that the linesman has raised his flag for, then there is even less reason for defenders to stop.

I go back to my original statement about the 8 year old "playing to the whistle" because at that level it is even more likely that the linesman will be over ruled due to the unfortunate nature of linesman that is affiliated to the defending side raising their flag incorrectly - deliberately or otherwise. The difference is that the professional game is far quicker and consequently it is far easier for a linesman to get it wrong.

Finally, I've never seen a player get booked for time wasting when the linesman has flagged but the Ref hasn't blown his whistle. It is the whistle that stops play not the linesman's flag.
  • Options
    It's truly bizarre how they felt the need to pay 70m for a winger instead of strengthening their defence. A Dortmund cast off and David Luiz were never going to be the answer. Lampard couldn't wait to get rid of him.
    To me it sums up Arsenal recruitment that they chose to BUY David Luiz from Chelsea rather than taking Gary Cahill on a free, going for the flashier footballer rather than the better defender
  • Options
    Shocker of a jumper Pardew is wearing. He needs fashion lessons from Bowyer

How does he keep getting gigs after that dance at Wembley?