Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2019/20

Comments

• Options
    It's truly bizarre how they felt the need to pay 70m for a winger instead of strengthening their defence. A Dortmund cast off and David Luiz were never going to be the answer. Lampard couldn't wait to get rid of him.
    To me it sums up Arsenal recruitment that they chose to BUY David Luiz from Chelsea rather than taking Gary Cahill on a free, going for the flashier footballer rather than the better defender
    Was saying exactly this to my old man the other day. Look at the influence cahill has had had at palace vs Luiz (£10m?) at arsenal! Embarrassing really. 
  • Options
    8 year olds are told "play to the whistle" so why didn't the Sheffield players?

There have been plenty of examples in the professional game of players stopping, pre VAR, only for the ref to wave play on. With VAR, it is even more important to carry on 'til they hear that whistle. Perhaps coaches need to reinforce that rather than just moan about it?
    Is it OK for players to ignore the linesman's flag when the ball goes out of play and make the ref blow every time.
    They frequently do, either because it is a close call or the players haven't seen the flag - or when they want to waste time - and the Ref has to then blow his whistle. Equally, how many times does the wrong team, deliberately or not, take a throw in quickly and it isn't even their throw in? The Ref has to blow then too. 

But we are only talking about times when it is debatable whether the ball is out, not when it's been booted into Row Z. We've yet to witness a player receive the ball from a ball boy and then drop it to his feet and carry on playing - but if he did then he would be booked for time wasting. Because it would be against the Spirit of the Game.

And if an offside or thrown in is marginal, with VAR in situ, defenders shouldn't be stopping. If an offside isn't marginal (i.e. the player is well onside) or the player in receipt of the ball isn't the one that the linesman has raised his flag for, then there is even less reason for defenders to stop.

I go back to my original statement about the 8 year old "playing to the whistle" because at that level it is even more likely that the linesman will be over ruled due to the unfortunate nature of linesman that is affiliated to the defending side raising their flag incorrectly - deliberately or otherwise. The difference is that the professional game is far quicker and consequently it is far easier for a linesman to get it wrong.

Finally, I've never seen a player get booked for time wasting when the linesman has flagged but the Ref hasn't blown his whistle. It is the whistle that stops play not the linesman's flag.
    Point well made!

But perhaps for everybody's sanity, linesmen in VAR games should only ever raise the flag once any offside has been confirmed via communication with the ref. 

This should be done as a courtesy to the spectators rather than the players who, as you say, should always play to the whistle!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Pretty much the same starting 11 that Silva used(apart from Schneiderlin) and Everton are beating Chelsea 3-1.

Were the players not bothered about playing well for Silva.

Or have they just picked their game up against Chelsea so the new manager keeps them
  • Options
    Pretty much the same starting 11 that Silva used(apart from Schneiderlin) and Everton are beating Chelsea 3-1.

Were the players not bothered about playing well for Silva.

Or have they just picked their game up against Chelsea so the new manager keeps them
    Big Duncan scared the sh*t out of them  :D
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Sonny has just scored goal of the season.

Just wow.

https://twitter.com/zacwassink/status/1203341816944381955?s=21
  • Options
    Anyone got a stream? 
  • Options
    No, but I did have a pond in the house I grew up in.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just wow.

Great goal...........but..........defending was shocking
  • Options
    United 2-0 up against City 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    United giving City a good shoeing at the moment.  2.0 Utd
  • Options
    Don’t get why the players moan so vociferously at the referee for potential penalties that are not given when they know it’s going to be checked by VAR.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Don’t get why the players moan so vociferously at the referee for potential penalties that are not given when they know it’s going to be checked by VAR.
    Because for a decision to be reversed it has to be a clear error - so, had the City claim for a penalty been awarded then it would have been unlikely to have been reversed as a result of VAR
  • Options
    United just 5 points behind Chelsea, and 8 behind City. Two massive wins for Solskjaer
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just wow.

Just seen it on MOTD. 

You're not joking. What a goal. 

Song is a wonderful player and doesn't get the praise he deserves. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just wow.

Just seen it on MOTD. 

You're not joking. What a goal. 

Song is a wonderful player and doesn't get the praise he deserves. 
    Alex Song was a decent player
    But I wouldnt say a wonderful player
  • Options
    Great goal by Son. 

Super impressed by Liverpool, the way they can rotate yet still play the same way, but they like City seem thin at CB. Great for Joe Gomez though, he has a real chance to establish himself as a CB again
  • Options
    on the telly a t m (14.00 hrs 8/12/19 lol).. Villa are tearing right into Leicester .. has the making of a good one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vardy scores for the 8th league game in a row.....he’s gonna go and break his own record ain’t he!
  • Options
    Vardy scores for the 8th league game in a row.....he’s gonna go and break his own record ain’t he!
    Norwich next, then Man City and Liverpool to equal his record of 11
  • Options
    Leicester on the break !! .. superb .. 2-0
  • Options
    I really hope Leicester keep all their players in January
  • Options
    Can't see why not. Unless a ridiculous offer does come in for one of the key players.

• Options
    I reckon Bowyer might make a move for Vardy once the takeover money is in the bank.
  • Options
    Neat little chest down from Konsa for that Villa goal

Game on!!
  • Options
    Can't see why not. Unless a ridiculous offer does come in for one of the key players.

If a player throws a hissy fit because City or Chelsea will pay them more, it can be really hard to keep them. Or if you keep them, they then sulk for a month
  • Options

If a player throws a hissy fit because City or Chelsea will pay them more, it can be really hard to keep them. Or if you keep them, they then sulk for a month
    The way they are playing is so exciting to watch at the minute, I can't see why any of them players would want to go or have a hissy fit and then sit on the bench at the likes of Man City and Chelsea