Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019/20 Championship games

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Still saying you need 50+ points to stay up. Everyone is beating everyone else, esp the bottom 6 beating the top 6. Might need 52 or 53.
  • Options
    Still saying you need 50+ points to stay up. Everyone is beating everyone else, esp the bottom 6 beating the top 6. Might need 52 or 53.
    Yeah that was what was needed last time we were promoted to the Championship. We're cursed.
  • Options
    When is the outcome of the Sheffield Wednesday investigation?
    a points deduction there would come in handy at the minute.

Just wait until after our game with them please. If they announce it tomorrow morning, it could galvanise their season...
  • Options
    If you take the six game form of the bottom third of the league and apply it to the remaining games, the teams going down right now would be Barnsley, Hull and Middlesbrough.

Wigan and Luton have secured a decent number of points in recent weeks but can they maintain that level?
    These teams all still have to play each other, remember.
    Both teams can't win. 

Loads of points still be dropped between them all.

• Options
    It all subjective obviously....

We are on 39 points

The last six games we have gained 10 points with our players coming back from injury.

Keep up our current form in the next six, against teams who are all below us in the form table, we are on 49.

Would take that with another 6 games to play....

Not everyone can win in the bottom 6 every game. 

That said, if we gain zero points in the next two games.......all of our (my) optimism fades into meltdown/squeaky bum time !!

• Options
    Sage said:
    This shows how unpredictable the league is. Okay, both sides were at home, but both against two teams who are looking to get promotion. Luton’s result is mad as Brentford are a very good side.

Really, Huddersfield are like Stoke and seem to have too good of a squad to go down. Luton I think will go down, you don’t concede the amount they do and stay up.

We now really need a win tomorrow night and hope Reading do us a favour too. Looking more and more like we need 11 points from the last 12 now.

50 surely would be enough.
    Luton are much tighter at the back now though, hence they've started winning games. They have a terrible GD from the first half of the season, but that doesn't reflect their current form
    Luton still managed to let in 3 goals last Saturday.

Can't think who it was against though. :smile:
  • Options
    Sage said:
    This shows how unpredictable the league is. Okay, both sides were at home, but both against two teams who are looking to get promotion. Luton’s result is mad as Brentford are a very good side.

Really, Huddersfield are like Stoke and seem to have too good of a squad to go down. Luton I think will go down, you don’t concede the amount they do and stay up.

We now really need a win tomorrow night and hope Reading do us a favour too. Looking more and more like we need 11 points from the last 12 now.

Luton are much tighter at the back now though, hence they've started winning games. They have a terrible GD from the first half of the season, but that doesn't reflect their current form
    Luton - 6 wins in their first 28 games. Now 4 wins in their last 7.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:

We let in 3 at Stoke but that's not typical of our recent form. Teams will suffer losses, but Luton ARE more solid now, hence they have won 3 out of their last 4. 

Boro are in real trouble, with Leeds and Forest their next 2 games before they play us. Will Woodgate still be there by then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Charlton, Wigan and Luton have secured a decent number of points in recent weeks but can they maintain that level?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:

We let in 3 at Stoke but that's not typical of our recent form. Teams will suffer losses, but Luton ARE more solid now, hence they have won 3 out of their last 4. 

Boro are in real trouble, with Leeds and Forest their next 2 games before they play us. Will Woodgate still be there by then?
    They are more solid at the moment, for sure. But they’ve only kept 3 clean sheets all season. 2 this month. They’re not going to suddenly be solid at the back for the rest of the season, they will continue to concede goals and will most definitely have conceded over 80, probably closer to 90, by the end of the season. No team can survive in this league when they concede that amount of goals throughout a whole campaign.
  • Options
    Once Derby, Birmingham and Shef Weds all have 21 points deducted each we will be fine
  • Options
    Sage said:
    We are on course for 52 points as things stand, 1.14 points per game. I actually think we could get a few more than that.

However, only twice in the last 14 years has 52 points not been enough to be safe. The last time was in the absolutely crazy season of 2012/13 when only 14 points separated 22nd and 6th.

It is therefore, highly unlikely that 52 points will not be enough. That would mean Wigan picking up 19 from their last 12, Luton picking up 20 from their last 11, and Barnsley picking up 22 from their last 12. All top 6 - top 2 promotion form. It just won’t happen.

52 is the target I have set us to get, and I firmly believe we will reach it.

Just came on here to say pretty much this.
  • Options
    Away from the relegation battle, with Leeds struggling to score the goals they should be, it's completely baffling that Nketiah struggled to get game time for them, when he's now back at Arsenal and has started their last 2 league games, scoring on Sunday
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    If Wigan win tonight then the over positive clowns (I consider myself a negative clown, just in case the touchy clowns feel left out) will be spouting how great a result it is cos Reading will be now in the equation cos they’ll be 3,2 level on points with us .

Come Saturday evening if we are still 5 or more points from 3rd bottom that will have been a good set of results with us playing 2 away games 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    We are on course for 52 points as things stand, 1.14 points per game. I actually think we could get a few more than that.

However, only twice in the last 14 years has 52 points not been enough to be safe. The last time was in the absolutely crazy season of 2012/13 when only 14 points separated 22nd and 6th.

It is therefore, highly unlikely that 52 points will not be enough. That would mean Wigan picking up 19 from their last 12, Luton picking up 20 from their last 11, and Barnsley picking up 22 from their last 12. All top 6 - top 2 promotion form. It just won’t happen.

Wigan have picked up 11 points from their last 6 games. 
    Luton 12 points from their last 7 games.
    Barnsley 7 points from their last 4 games.

Admittedly they won't all maintain it, but they have all started to pick up points in line with that you've said they need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can never understand why people try to build an approximate number of points required for safety. Unlike Liverpool needing 4 wins to officially win the league, it is just a guess within a very dynamic environment as we have seen for weeks now.
  • Options
    It's very simple; we win a decent amount of our remaining games, especially against Wigan, Huddersfield and Boro, then we will be quite comfortable. We don't need Championship winning form....just ok form. 

The key will be to keep Taylor and the other top players fit. We've shown with a fit squad, we will get points from a lot of games. 
  • Options
    To be safe, we need perhaps 3 wins and a couple of draws ...... and that's exactly what we've just done in our last half a dozen or so games.

No reason to fear we won't continue to do at least that.

• Options
    Win the next 2 and we could be the same distance from the play offs as we are from relegation.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Admittedly they won't all maintain it, but they have all started to pick up points in line with that you've said they need.
    They have all had an upturn, but you will always get that at this time of the season. Draws are less common because teams are more willing to go for it to get the points they need. Add in the unpredictability of the league and a little run of form for teams at the bottom is very likely.

The thing is though, it won’t continue and they won’t be able to maintain that level and results. Putting a decent run for 6 games is one thing, doing it across 12 is very different. I still believe that if we win 4 of our remaining 12, we stay up. That’s without any draws. 
  • Options
    What eveyone seems to be forgetting Derby  Birmingham and Sheffs Wed are all very likley to cop 12 point deductions and Hull and Middlesbrough don't seem  capable of winning another game, people need start looking above them not below. I actually think the final bottom 3 will have a very surprising look to it and I can see us finishing closer to mid table.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    What eveyone seems to be forgetting Derby  Birmingham and Sheffs Wed are all very likley to cop 12 point deductions and Hull and Middlesbrough don't seem  capable of winning another game ........
    ....... except against us.

Then we'll beat Leeds and Brentford.

You know how it is. :smile:

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    What eveyone seems to be forgetting Derby  Birmingham and Sheffs Wed are all very likley to cop 12 point deductions and Hull and Middlesbrough don't seem  capable of winning another game, people need start looking above them not below. I actually think the final bottom 3 will have a very surprising look to it and I can see us finishing closer to mid table.
    I think you're probably going to be right. Wigan are putting a run together and Luton have a relatively easy run in on paper, playing almost the entire bottom half of the table.

We could very easily see the likes of Hull and Boro sucked in, and it's by no means certain the current bottom 3 will stay that way.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

They have all had an upturn, but you will always get that at this time of the season. Draws are less common because teams are more willing to go for it to get the points they need. Add in the unpredictability of the league and a little run of form for teams at the bottom is very likely.

The thing is though, it won’t continue and they won’t be able to maintain that level and results. Putting a decent run for 6 games is one thing, doing it across 12 is very different. I still believe that if we win 4 of our remaining 12, we stay up. That’s without any draws. 
    I can't see all 3 clubs maintaining that run, but at least 1 of them could do it. In the season we went down, Rotherham had an incredible run under Warnock when they looked doomed, 11 games unbeaten including 6 wins. They ended up 9 points ahead of us...
  • Options
    When is the outcome of the Sheffield Wednesday investigation?
    a points deduction there would come in handy at the minute.
    It's due to be announced just after the Leeds/Casillas investigation.