Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2019/20 Championship games

Comments

• edited February 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    What eveyone seems to be forgetting Derby  Birmingham and Sheffs Wed are all very likley to cop 12 point deductions and Hull and Middlesbrough don't seem  capable of winning another game, people need start looking above them not below. I actually think the final bottom 3 will have a very surprising look to it and I can see us finishing closer to mid table.
    I think you're probably going to be right. Wigan are putting a run together and Luton have a relatively easy run in on paper, playing almost the entire bottom half of the table.
    Ideal. Lots of 6-pointers.

And as half of Charlton Life now seem to believe Luton are the new Liverpool, I can't wait to see them win all their remaining matches. 

Or whatever. :smile:

• Sage said:
    Sage said:
    We are on course for 52 points as things stand, 1.14 points per game. I actually think we could get a few more than that.

However, only twice in the last 14 years has 52 points not been enough to be safe. The last time was in the absolutely crazy season of 2012/13 when only 14 points separated 22nd and 6th.

It is therefore, highly unlikely that 52 points will not be enough. That would mean Wigan picking up 19 from their last 12, Luton picking up 20 from their last 11, and Barnsley picking up 22 from their last 12. All top 6 - top 2 promotion form. It just won’t happen.

52 is the target I have set us to get, and I firmly believe we will reach it.
    Wigan have picked up 11 points from their last 6 games. 
    Luton 12 points from their last 7 games.
    Barnsley 7 points from their last 4 games.

Admittedly they won't all maintain it, but they have all started to pick up points in line with that you've said they need.
    They have all had an upturn, but you will always get that at this time of the season. Draws are less common because teams are more willing to go for it to get the points they need. Add in the unpredictability of the league and a little run of form for teams at the bottom is very likely.

The thing is though, it won’t continue and they won’t be able to maintain that level and results. Putting a decent run for 6 games is one thing, doing it across 12 is very different. I still believe that if we win 4 of our remaining 12, we stay up. That’s without any draws. 
    I can't see all 3 clubs maintaining that run, but at least 1 of them could do it. In the season we went down, Rotherham had an incredible run under Warnock when they looked doomed, 11 games unbeaten including 6 wins. They ended up 9 points ahead of us...
    I think you’ve said exactly the reason to why they managed that, Neil Warnock. As much as many people don’t like him, he knew how to get results in this league.

None of Barnsley, Luton, or Wigan have a Warnock, I can’t see any of their runs continuing, but one of them might just have enough to escape the drop.
  • Barnsley and Wigan both winning 1-0
  • Barnsley winning isn’t ideal but at least it’s dragging Hull down into it.

A side with Magennis and Eaves up top does sound very League One :wink:
  • Laddick01 said:
    Barnsley winning isn’t ideal but at least it’s dragging Hull down into it.

A side with Magennis and Eaves up top does sound very League One :wink:
    How's Marcus 'the sort of player we should be going all out for' Maddison perfoming?
  • 2-0 Wigan 
  • Reading back in this now.

Losing 2-0 to Wigan and only 5 points above them now 

• Why you only showing up to us, teams above us still in it to after tonights results

• 18th in the league......19th, 21st & 17th up next
    HUGE couple of weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• Hull 2-0 down at home
  • Lutons next 2 games are wigan and stoke, I imagine theyl take more from those, than we will ours... although in an ideal world they draw them both 
  • I hate Leeds ...

... but glad Hull are being shat on from a great height today.
  • Leeds are good to watch.
  • I hate Leeds ...

... but glad Hull are being shat on from a great height today.
    Same here. I have still never forgiven their fans for this:

https://youtu.be/tgS1RFk1cU8

If it was down to me they would have been kicked out of the league with immediate effect.
  • Hull seem to be the sort of side who are competitive until they concede, then collapse
  • stonemuse said:
    now 4-0
    minus ten goal difference  :)
  • I don't think Hull have actually been THAT bad. Will be very demoralising for them though. 
  • edited February 2020
    Get above Hull today and I'm confident they won't get back in front. Just the rest of the teams that keep winning to worry about then
  • Sponsored links:

• This is the difference between Charlton on Wednesday night and Hull today

We went to Sheffield looking for a point as its better than nothing, worst case scenario we lost 1-0 so our Goal Difference got a scratch

Hull on the other hand, I dont know if they've gone looking for a point or more but their Goal Difference was one worse than ours before play and its just earnt a thumping

It might be a negative way to look at it but two draws and we go above Hull on that alone

Thats another team between us and the drop
  • Hugely unlikely it goes to GD imo, but if so then of course important
  • edited February 2020
    Get above Hull today and I'm confident they won't get back in front. Just the rest of the teams that keep winning to worry about then
    I still dont see how all six teams below us can keep this up

We're all relegation candidates for reason, because form hasnt been consistent over the course of the season

I see no reason for that to suddenly change for everyone around us

Truly is credit to Barnsley and Luton though that they could win today and either be level with Middlesbrough or a point behind when both were doomed a while back
  • edited February 2020

10 game form table 
  • 2 points from ten games and a proper thumping today. 
    I'd be seriously concerned if I was a hull fan 
  • As it stands if Middlesbrough win on Monday we are in the relegation zone
  • No way are Wigan going down on current form. Our best chance now is to keep Luton & Barnsley below us and try and finish above Boro or Hull.
  • going down where shit
  • As it stands if Middlesbrough win on Monday we are in the relegation zone
    That late goal from Luton means we still wont be in the relegation zone if Boro win
  • 2 points from ten games and a proper thumping today. 
    I'd be seriously concerned if I was a hull fan 
    Fingers crossed!