Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I had a bone bruised knee from falling over playing tennis - the consultant likened it to a mini stroke on the knee - I was out for 6 months so I reckon it’s worse than it sounds !!! 
    Yes, completely. Where the patella is so exposed in comparison to any other bone, the fact it’s a sesamoid bone as well, any injury to it itself, can be far worse than if you were to have the same impact on another area of the body. Fracturing the patella is a horrible, horrible injury for example, and one that you are unlikely to ever really recover from without an invasive operation.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I had a bone bruised knee from falling over playing tennis - the consultant likened it to a mini stroke on the knee - I was out for 6 months so I reckon it’s worse than it sounds !!! 
    Yes, completely. Where the patella is so exposed in comparison to any other bone, the fact it’s a sesamoid bone as well, any injury to it itself, can be far worse than if you were to have the same impact on another area of the body. Fracturing the patella is a horrible, horrible injury for example, and one that you are unlikely to ever really recover from without an invasive operation.
    Random question Sage, but genuinely curious. How come you know all this stuff?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Crusty54 said:
    I tore my hamstring almost 50 years ago. By the evening blood was visible all the way down to my ankle. It took some months to get over it.

During my recovery I felt a lump on the back of my thigh just above the knee. This turned out to be where tissue had formed around the tear.

For many years if I started running I would feel a sharp pain in the lump which passed after a couple of seconds.

I sometimes wonder if players feel something similar and pull up anticipating it's happening again.

I no longer get the pain but the lump is still there.
    The lump is scar tissue. Probably too late now, but you can try to massage it out, could help, but as you done it 50 years ago, I wouldn’t be sure at all.
    Thanks Sage. I did have massage and ice pack treatment by a blind physiotherapist but I had to stop as I was taking too much time off work. It doesn't give me any pain now and I still manage to run for a bus sometimes.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Isn't that what Syd Lawrence, the England fast bowler did, split his patella in half?  Sounded like a gun going off.

https://youtu.be/eSumYe7UPPM 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sage said:
    Watched Gorilla Monsoon on a Saturday morning I suspect :wink:

Where else would you hear external occipital protuberance? 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    It's his job, I believe. I think I remember seeing before that Sage is a Sports Physiotherapist. 
  • Options
    Gutted for Alphie,and for the team,he was really starting to make his mark.As someone else has stated,there are going to be an enormous amount of injuries this season due to the amount of pressure on players.We as a club now have a strong enough squad to cope,we dont have to rush players back like I suspect we have in the past.One positive out of this,come 15-20 games from the end of the season,Alphie could return a fresh young man dying to get playing again,and rip some tired teams to pieces.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Isn't that what Syd Lawrence, the England fast bowler did, split his patella in half?  Sounded like a gun going off.

https://youtu.be/eSumYe7UPPM 
    Yes, absolutely awful.

May sound horrible, but I’d much rather a compound fracture of the leg every day of the week over a fractured or even worse, smashed patella. Shudder at the thought of that. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I think there was a kid at school with a broken/cracked patella. It must be a bastard of an injury as he was in a heavy leg brace for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So Celtic can't buy him or really try a pre nuptual contract in January?
    Well they can, but they probably won't fancy it now
  • Options
    Sage said:
    @killerandflash @SantaClaus I’ve just literally come across a report that shows in the Premier League so far this season, we have seen an increase of 42% on muscle injuries in comparison to this stage of the season in 2019/20.

That is just solely in the Premier League, where you’ll have the best facilities, best physiotherapists and medical teams. Imagine what clubs outside of the top flight are going to face when they’re playing as much as they are, especially those who played in the restart and are also regularly going on international duty too. It’s going to ruin them.

As a sport, they have a huge duty of care for these players. And I believe that’s being seriously neglected and something must change. They’re expected too much, and we are not even 20% of the way into the season yet.
    If those stats play out across the season there'll be plenty of teams dealing with injury crises comparable to our one last season. I know it's not a good look but I'm sure I'll be feeling a twinge of Schadenfreude when it happens. 
  • Options
    MattF said:

Good luck Alfie
  • Options
    MattF said:

Good luck Alfie
  • Options
    Crikey Alfie, up and about already, considering the last post you sent was at
    8.15 this morning and you are up already, obviously they like to get you
    up on your feet asap.
    Anyway, great to see you sounding positive, now let's get you back to your
    best :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    It's his job, I believe. I think I remember seeing before that Sage is a Sports Physiotherapist. 
    No no, sometimes I wish I was. But I know this stuff because I completed a degree in Sports Science and have always taken an extra keen interest in the anatomy and sport injury side to it, I’ve wrote two dissertations on it. I won’t ever claim to be a physiotherapist, that’s not fair on those who are, it’s a protected title and they will know far more than me. I’m friends with quite a few, and my old supervisor was Team GB’s head physiotherapist at London 2012. It’s something I’ve always loved and been passionate about, but it’s not my career.
    Ah apologies. Fingers crossed it can one day be if you so wish it.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Although not the same injury as Alfie, a few years ago I went to this hospital for knee surgery (torn cartilage) and the surgeon there was the absolute business. I was walking the next day and back to running within a week (although my surgeon had not advised this). It's the only time I have ever been presented with a wine list for my hospital meal. Although I had just come out of general anaesthetic so was not allowed any alcohol!

Speedy recovery Alfie!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I had my Achilles operation at Princess Grace with Mr Bacarese Hamilton 6-7 years ago , knew the anaesthetist so got some photos , superb job and I got recommended Gazza’s old physio and he had magic hands and I made a full recovery .
    Good luck Alfie 
    [Mod Warning: surgery photo below - AW]
    Image of surgery
  • Options
    Halloween was yesterday mate 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Lovely... Thanks for sharing 
    Enjoy your breakfast 🤢
  • Options
    Thanks for that. Not even in a spoiler post 😖🤢
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Injury picked up against Oxford? 
  • Options
    Slow news day for the72.co.uk just Charlton's turn out of their bran tub for some lazily rehashed old bullshit substituting for "content" 🤡
    Treat like a roundabout and drive straight on.  ⬆