Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    That is bad news for him and us
  • Options
    Absolutely gutting. I just hope he is able to come back the same player. Always a risk of losing a bit of pace with an injury like this.
  • Options
    That's a blow, hope he can recover well. But that's a bad injury for someone whose pace is key 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Any medical experts on here , would these sort of injuries be better operated on immediately or makes no difference , I'm just wondering why we're at Thursday and the op hasn't been had ...

I ask this cos 6 or so years ago i tore my achilles tendon and a family of doctors/ anaethetists and whatever we know had me checked  next day and day after that i was under the knife being operated on .
    My wife claims that would have helped me make a speedier recovery due to the quickness of it being seen to ... is that bullshit or hamstring a complete different injury ..
    I'm wondering if speed is not of the essence here ??
  • Options
    Around 4 months takes us up to the end of February, so scope for him to still play a big part of our season providing there's no major setbacks. Real shame as a full season in this league would have helped him make leaps in his progression as a player.
  • Options
    A massive blow for Alfie and the team/supporters.
    Arguably our best player.

Best wishes for your recovery Alfie. 
  • Options
    Sorba Thomas in January?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Any medical experts on here , would these sort of injuries be better operated on immediately or makes no difference , I'm just wondering why we're at Thursday and the op hasn't been had ...

I ask this cos 6 or so years ago i tore my achilles tendon and a family of doctors/ anaethetists and whatever we know had me checked  next day and day after that i was under the knife being operated on .
    My wife claims that would have helped me make a speedier recovery due to the quickness of it being seen to ... is that bullshit or hamstring a complete different injury ..
    I'm wondering if speed is not of the essence here ??

Well, I'm not a medical expert, but a hamstring is a muscle and an Achilles is a tendon so I would imagine there's a potential bid difference right there. I think swelling can prevent scans and proper assessment of the extent of injuries too, so maybe that's delayed the op a bit as they figure out what needs to happen.

It being a big tear is a worry. Medical science is improving all the time, but down the years many pacey players have had their careers ruined by hamstring injuries. If I'm remembering GCSE biology correctly, hamstrings are a key part of why people who run fast are able to do so. Doughty losing his pace would blunt his weaponry considerably as it his really his USP right now.
  • Options
    That's what I feared when I saw him leaving the pitch.

Gutted for him.
  • Options
    Hard as nails... Didn't he walk off? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Damn that's horrible news. He's our lethal weapon.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Hard as nails... Didn't he walk off? 
    Mmmh doesn't really work like that. Going by history of ligament and muscle injuries, this can convert it from grade 2 to 3 because your muscles are deactivated and weight is applied to ligaments and tendons.
  • Options
    If I was Sandgaard I'd have a 5 year contract sitting on his agents table tomorrow with a small wage increase on what he is on now... I don't think it would have to be big money, I think in the back of his mind he will be thinking that if he loses a yard of pace he loses his edge
  • Options
    Bad news

It goes make the recruitment of Smyth a good decision, as while not as fast, it does give us another option for a wide attacking pacey player. Indeed he seem better suited to that wide role, rather than as a forward
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We are going to miss our LB/LWB/LW/FW. 

Our number of injuries knocking players out >3 months really does concern me. There is just no hiding from the facts. If we are here to analyse the good stats from heat maps and the game, we should not feel we need to supress our thoughts with this concern.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    If I was Sandgaard I'd have a 5 year contract sitting on his agents table tomorrow with a small wage increase on what he is on now... I don't think it would have to be big money, I think in the back of his mind he will be thinking that if he loses a yard of pace he loses his edge
    Get what you’re saying but Doughty could come back half the player he was. Could be more serious than just losing a yard of pace. Sounds harsh but a long term contract for him could be a terrible decision. 
  • Options
    There can't be a team in the world who have worse luck with injuries than we do. Devastating for Doughty, just hope he can get back 100% fit for the last 2-3 months of our promotion push. 
  • Options
    Get fit soon Alfie, we need your undoubted pace
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Get what you’re saying but Doughty could come back half the player he was. Could be more serious than just losing a yard of pace. Sounds harsh but a long term contract for him could be a terrible decision. 
    Which is why it's sometimes slightly unfair to blame clubs over contract decisions which go wrong

If he'd signed a 4 year contract the day before the Northampton match, nobody would have been criticising that decision now

• Options
    At least he's not going to be sold in January...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible news, really feel for the lad and just hope he will come back to achieve the potential that he so obviously has.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    You'd give a 5 year contract to a player who's just been ruled out for months with a serious injury that could affect his pace long term...........when his biggest attribute by far is his pace?

I don't doubt it's a good time to stick a new contract in front of him, but certainly not 5 years. 2 max, with an option of a 3rd perhaps. We simply don't know how the injury will affect him, he might come back fine, but he might come back 60-70% the player he was, and if it does affect him you don't want to be stuck with him for 5 years.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    You'd give a 5 year contract to a player who's just been ruled out for months with a serious injury that could affect his pace long term...........when his biggest attribute by far is his pace?

I don't doubt it's a good time to stick a new contract in front of him, but certainly not 5 years. 2 max, with an option of a 3rd perhaps. We simply don't know how the injury will affect him, he might come back fine, but he might come back 60-70% the player he was, and if it does affect him you don't want to be stuck with him for 5 years.
    But then his agent would say to us "that's not showing any faith in my client etc"

It all depends on how confident both sides are that there won't be any long term effects from the injury...
  • Options
    Speedy recovery Alfie, gutted for you more than anything.
  • Options
    I'm sure Thomas Sandgaard, Tracey, Jason, Lee, Johnny and all the academy coaches will give their support to Alfie over the next few months.

A player with pace who can play in several positions will be a big loss.

In the long term he may have to adapt his play, but for now it's all about the rehabilitation. 

We wish him well. 
  • Options
    So, are we all sure that signing Smyth over Sorba was the right decision now....?
  • Options
    Wonder what’s going on in Doughtys  mind re a new contract! Why has he not signed already?  Is it his agent advising him? Maybe a change of thought now he has this injury!