Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    Tom Lockyear appears to have collapsed off the ball, early in the game.  Hope he is OK.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Tom Lockyear appears to have collapsed off the ball, early in the game.  Hope he is OK.
    In the medical room at Wembley, his parents have come down from stands to join him
  • Options
    Luton 1-0
  • Options
    Now former academy player Kasey Palmer on for Coventry...(any potential buyer who thinks closing down the academy is a good idea to save money is clearly mad!).
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Now former academy player Kasey Palmer on for Coventry...(any potential buyer who thinks closing down the academy is a good idea to save money is clearly mad!).
    Seeing Doughty and Palmer out there highlights how little money we actually made from them.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    In exactly the same way that any potential buyer who thinks playing on the moon is a good idea to save money is clearly mad?

Anyway how many games did Palmer play for us and how much money did we get for him?
  • Options
    Didn't make a first team appearance and I think we got like £250k? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Hardly a conclusive argument for keeping the academy is it?

IMO closing the academy would be suicidal and that's why no-one will actually do it.  But the contributions, to Charlton of Doughty and Palmer aren't the reasons.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

IMO closing the academy would be suicidal and that's why no-one will actually do it.  But the contributions, to Charlton of Doughty and Palmer aren't the reasons.
    Agreed. I love the academy, but the football system doesn't exactly encourage us to have one, when you can end up making peanuts for players you've spent 10 years developing. 

Far more profitable to discover 16 years old like Lookman in non league or park football.
  • Options
    Has been really good for them apparently. Playing as a LWB, arguably his best position, and has made the role his own. Always had a decent touch and was good with the ball at his feet, in addition to being rapid, just seemed to have list his way, at least in part due to injury.

Scored two and set up five in 28 appearances. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching premier league stars of the future.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Has been really good for them apparently. Playing as a LWB, arguably his best position, and has made the role his own. Always had a decent touch and was good with the ball at his feet, in addition to being rapid, just seemed to have list his way, at least in part due to injury.

Scored two and set up five in 28 appearances. 
    Looked overweight towards the end of his time at Stoke too.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

If I recall, having come through the Academy, the then 17 years old Kasey Palmer refused to sign a professional contract at Charlton - after being poached by Chelsea.

Chelsea were ordered to pay Charlton £250k compensation. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:

If I recall, having come through the Academy, the then 17 years old Kasey Palmer refused to sign a professional contract at Charlton - after being poached by Chelsea.

Chelsea were ordered to pay Charlton £250k compensation. 
    He was part of the team that faced them in the FA Youth Cup that year, signed for them shortly after.
  • Options

Having a good year in the prem. I watched the first half of the Luton - Villa game yesterday and he started at Left Wing back but when they got an injury 5 mins into the game and given their massive injury crisis he had to move to left of the back 3! His Pace helped him out but its surprising as his physique doesn't exactly scream centre back and we often played him in a front 3!
  • Options
    edited March 3
    Don't think any of us would have predicted he would be playing at a higher level than Aribo. Not for long I imagine...