Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    Ahhhh gutted for young Alfie...hope he may still be in touch with Joe Gomez,it might help a little,to get his head around being out for so long,ok different injury but with some luck & hard work,he can soon bounce back again...good luck Alfie 
  • Options
    Awful news.

Alfie's greatest strength is his pace.
    Too early to say of course, but 
    I would think this kind of injury would curtail his regular bombing down the wings somewhat. 

Wish him a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So, are we all sure that signing Smyth over Sorba was the right decision now....?
     Why wouldn't it be? 
    And why does it have to be one or the other? It sounded like we wanted them both.
  • Options
    So, are we all sure that signing Smyth over Sorba was the right decision now....?
    100%, Smyth looks class
  • Options
    Ahhhh gutted for young Alfie...hope he may still be in touch with Joe Gomez,it might help a little,to get his head around being out for so long,ok different injury but with some luck & hard work,he can soon bounce back again...good luck Alfie 
    I know its counterintuitive but perhaps the club can put Alfie in touch with Danny Haynes. Another lightening quick player who's career was wrecked by the issue must have some great insights into what a 20 year just starting out should do/avoid doing to mitigate the issue.
  • Options
    I know its counterintuitive but perhaps the club can put Alfie in touch with Danny Haynes. Another lightening quick player who's career was wrecked by the issue must have some great insights into what a 20 year just starting out should do/avoid doing to mitigate the issue.
    Probably not the best example of hamstring management is he? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's likely Haynes' issues were exacerbated by incorrect treatments and  poorly designed training sessions early in his career. I'm sure if he could go back he'd change how he looked after himself (including how/when he used his pace in games) and that insight could be invaluable. Like I said it's counterintuitive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I still feel upset about, and so sorry for Danny.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I still feel upset about, and so sorry for Danny.
    He had a great touch, pace and could really lash a shot... 

It was a huge shame he had cheese strings in place of a hamstring. 
  • Options
    I tore my hamstring almost 50 years ago. By the evening blood was visible all the way down to my ankle. It took some months to get over it.

During my recovery I felt a lump on the back of my thigh just above the knee. This turned out to be where tissue had formed around the tear.

For many years if I started running I would feel a sharp pain in the lump which passed after a couple of seconds.

I sometimes wonder if players feel something similar and pull up anticipating it's happening again.

I no longer get the pain but the lump is still there.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I tore my hamstring almost 50 years ago. By the evening blood was visible all the way down to my ankle. It took some months to get over it.

During my recovery I felt a lump on the back of my thigh just above the knee. This turned out to be where tissue had formed around the tear.

For many years if I started running I would feel a sharp pain in the lump which passed after a couple of seconds.

I sometimes wonder if players feel something similar and pull up anticipating it's happening again.

I no longer get the pain but the lump is still there.
    The lump is scar tissue. Probably too late now, but you can try to massage it out, could help, but as you done it 50 years ago, I wouldn’t be sure at all.
  • Options
    I've often in the past suggested our medical/fitness regime might not be up to scratch, but I'm also very aware that we focus -like hell- on our own players, and most of us have no clue what's going on at other similar size clubs, so we don't have benchmarks to make such assertions. Who here has a good handle on how many players Pompey are missing injured tomorrow, and how important they are? Not me, that's for sure. 

I think this one really is just bad luck, wasn't he nudged by the defender to cause it to happen? Let's get behind Alfie 100% and remember that he hasn't even started to see the big money that many injured footballers can fall back on.
  • Options
    In the PL,  Antonio is out for a month,  and Fabinho for 3 matches,  both with hamstring injuries. 

Not as bad clearly, but you wonder if the compressed fixture list will take a toll this season
  • Options
    Antonio scored two goals in the Championship by getting the ball on the half way line on the left, he then cut in on to his right foot, sprinted and unleashed a shot from 20 yards into the net. He achieved that the week before playing Cafc for Forest and then despite Wilson and Harriot being designated to stop this happening again, he repeated the same goal again at the Valley.
    In the second Half, Gomez and Freddie Bulot stopped his sprints for goal from the left wing.

Antonio has amended his game in the Premier but does still have Hamstring issues. I wonder if his wonder overhead goal played a part in his recent hamstring problem ?
  • Options
    I've often in the past suggested our medical/fitness regime might not be up to scratch, but I'm also very aware that we focus -like hell- on our own players, and most of us have no clue what's going on at other similar size clubs, so we don't have benchmarks to make such assertions. Who here has a good handle on how many players Pompey are missing injured tomorrow, and how important they are? Not me, that's for sure. 

I think this one really is just bad luck, wasn't he nudged by the defender to cause it to happen? Let's get behind Alfie 100% and remember that he hasn't even started to see the big money that many injured footballers can fall back on.
    Michael Jacobs is out for 6 weeks with a knee injury. I have no idea if he's a big part of the team though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020

Michael Jacobs is out for 6 weeks with a knee injury. I have no idea if he's a big part of the team though. 
    He is a cracker
  • Options
    Sage said:
    In the PL,  Antonio is out for a month,  and Fabinho for 3 matches,  both with hamstring injuries. 

Not as bad clearly, but you wonder if the compressed fixture list will take a toll this season
    We will 100% see a huge increase in muscle and soft tissue injuries this season, right across the board.

The lack of pre-season, the congestion in fixtures, the lack of recovery, the change in regimes of what they can and can’t do due to the pandemic, the travelling, the fact that you’re going to have a constant of games with no real break until the summer of 2022 due to internationals. It’s going to really take it’s toll.

A real challenge for medical teams all throughout football. 
    That's an interesting observation. At least Bowyer's proactive when it comes to first team rotation. Hopefully that will help as the season unfolds.
  • Options

So Jacobs is cream crackered?
    Go on admit it , you've been waiting all season for that one :-):smile:
  • Options

Portsmouths Striker Harrison has missed 3 games with a hamstring injury and could be back for tomorrow. 

Jacobs is another injured player of theirs, they thought he'd done his knee ligaments, but he's just 'bruised the knee' and is expected to be back in 6 weeks. 

Those are their only two from a quick Google. 

• Options
    At least we've not ever had anyone out for 6 weeks with a bruised knee... As far as we know!
  • Options
    No, our players do their ACL instead.
  • Options
    I had a bone bruised knee from falling over playing tennis - the consultant likened it to a mini stroke on the knee - I was out for 6 months so I reckon it’s worse than it sounds !!!