Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm confused why people think us signing Matthews relates to us signing Doughty?

Doughty (although left-footed) has been playing forward on the right. Some have suggested Matthews could play RWB with Gunter as right centre back in a three. We actually are quite well-served by left-footed players in the squad but fewer capable of putting a good ball in from the right.

Matthews signing has nothing to do with Doughty being injured, it would have gone through either way.

As Bowyer said he wants two per position, they left room within the salary cap to add a second RB to the squad.

• Options
    The injuries are already starting to pile up! Get well soon Alfie.
  • Options
    Looks like he's out for a while according to his Instagram

Let's hope it's not a Mickey Bennett type injury.

He had pace to burn as a youngster but lost that edge after a serious injury.

Never the same player.
  • Options
    Biggest fear is the injury knocks his pace down, which would be absolutely gutting for him and us as it’s the real star quality he brings to the team...

Get well (fully) soon!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alfie Doughty is a good example of how hard it is to get the right teenage players on good, long term contracts. 

On his 20th birthday he had just been recalled from Bromley during our biggest injury crisis since the last one.

He had done nothing as a teenager to suggest he was a "special talent" 1 month later Fulham and others were sniffing around.

What do you do, give a contract to someone your not sure can make if?

Like Grant the opportunity to give the right contract, that both parties would have been happy with was very small. 

It's not like Aribo, where it was 18 months long. 
    RD and KM gave out some long term contracts to young players, remember Kennedy getting 2.5 year deal...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/70207/kennedy-and-staunton-pen-new-deals

It looked a good decision at the time, and his wages would have been relatively low, but he's a player that got nowhere near breaking into the first team.
    The wages were not low...
    How do you know that? And what would you call not low?
    Because 1 of the said players that KM signed on a long term deal told me how much he was getting. Let's put it this way, it was well above this seasons salary cap. 
  • Options
    Our luck with injuries continues
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Its a hammy isn't it? Surely weeks rather than months. Unless a complete tear!
  • Options
    You know what happens to our players when they are injured...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Grade 1 I would expect 2-4 weeks (Quite minor, would probably feel tight, but with a dead leg bruised feel can be healed in days)
    Grade 2 I would expect 4-8 weeks (more severe, may involve minor tearing, probably hurts to walk, but only a bit, running will cause further damage)
    Grade 3 I would expect months. (Complete rupture - would likely require surgery)
  • Options
    anything from 6 weeks to 3 months, depending on the severity of it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have zero luck with injuries
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Grade 1 I would expect 2-4 weeks (Quite minor, would probably feel tight, but with a dead leg bruised feel can be healed in days)
    Grade 2 I would expect 4-8 weeks (more severe, may involve minor tearing, probably hurts to walk, but only a bit, running will cause further damage)
    Grade 3 I would expect months. (Complete rupture - would likely require surgery)
    Just found the NHS guide to Hamstring Strains:

Mild hamstring strains (grade 1) will usually cause sudden pain and tenderness at the back of your thigh. It may be painful to move your leg, but the strength of the muscle should not be affected.

Partial hamstring tears (grade 2) are usually more painful and tender. There may also be some swelling and bruising at the back of your thigh and you may have lost some strength in your leg.

Severe hamstring tears (grade 3) will usually be very painful, tender, swollen and bruised. There may have been a "popping" sensation at the time of the injury and you'll be unable to use the affected leg.

Recovering from a hamstring injury may take days, weeks or months, depending on how severe it is. A completely torn hamstring may take several months to heal and you'll be unable to resume training or play sport during this time.

• Options
    It's Charlton it's going to be Grade 3. In fact they will probably devise a grade 4 or 5 to ensure he's out for the rest of the season  :(
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    It's Charlton it's going to be Grade 3. In fact they will probably devise a grade 4 or 5 to ensure he's out for the rest of the season  :(
    Are you sitting under Golfie's big black cloud, Len?  :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

I am today it seems. I just don't believe our injury record over the years especially recently.

The worry with Alfie in particular is the potential effect of a severe hamstring (or whatever) injury on that pace which makes him different and such a threat.

We have nobody else remotely comparable from what I can see unless someone else is lurking in the U18s or somewhere I know nothing about.
  • Options
    Injury recovery must be an area where TS can improve our team due to his contacts with the medical industry in the States.
  • Options
    Could Alfie's injury have been avoided?
    On the face of it clearly not.
    What I will say is, he makes 4 or 5 of his lung busting end to end runs per match.

Is that healthy? I'm not so sure.

I know Bowyer says that these injuries are part and parcel of the game but the frequency of them is getting concerning.

I'm not a sports scientist, but I'm guessing the technology available and expertise on hand has changed a hell of a lot in the 6 years since Roland Duchatelet took over.

The no doubt high cost and his interest levels would suggest that we are not and have not been at the cutting edge of this technology for many years.
    I've mentioned marginal gains in another thread and their importance in a wage capped league. Any edge we can get will help us achieve where we want to be.

I'm hopeful TS is taking a serious look into improving things. Bowyer kind of said as much in his talksport interview yesterday. I hope he gets all of the help he needs.
  • Options
    What I will say is, he makes 4 or 5 of his lung busting end to end runs per match.

I know Bowyer says that these injuries are part and parcel of the game but the frequency of them is getting concerning.

I'm not a sports scientist, but I'm guessing the technology available and expertise on hand has changed a hell of a lot in the 6 years since Roland Duchatelet took over.

The no doubt high cost and his interest levels would suggest that we are not and have not been at the cutting edge of this technology for many years.
    I've mentioned marginal gains in another thread and their importance in a wage capped league. Any edge we can get will help us achieve where we want to be.

I'm hopeful TS is taking a serious look into improving things. Bowyer kind of said as much in his talksport interview yesterday. I hope he gets all of the help he needs.
    In retrospect Alfie may have been overplayed, like Bonne was around Christmas time. 

While our other attacking players have been rotated by Bowyer, or integrated into the side slowly, Alfie had been virtually ever present, playing all 7 league games, both EFL Cup games and even making a sub appearance in the EFL Trophy
  • Options
    edited October 2020

4-5 Wouldn't be excessive. It's literally what wingers across the land do 5-10 times a game... Someone like JBG or Lookman managed it fine. The only difference is stature, Alfie is a bit gangly and seems a little weak shoulder to shoulder.

Maybe some flexibility with some loaded resistance training would do him well? (He may already be working towards this) He might lose a yard of pace, but that may benefit him a little as he often overstrides onto his forward knocks and he'd still have a yard more than most... 

Also Celtic still won't leave him alone: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/26/absolutely-brilliant-too-good-for-us-celtics-reported-january-target-shines-again/
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

I am today it seems. I just don't believe our injury record over the years especially recently.

The worry with Alfie in particular is the potential effect of a severe hamstring (or whatever) injury on that pace which makes him different and such a threat.

We have nobody else remotely comparable from what I can see unless someone else is lurking in the U18s or somewhere I know nothing about.
    I have not watched us this season but Smyth is rapid isn't he?  Maybe he could do a similar job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

I have not watched us this season but Smyth is rapid isn't he?  Maybe he could do a similar job.
    Smyth isn't slow (in Charlton terms) but I wouldn't say he was exceptionally quick from what I have seen of him.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

Smyth isn't slow (in Charlton terms) but I wouldn't say he was exceptionally quick from what I have seen of him.
    Does he need to be exceptionally quick at this level? Doughty may be exceptionally quick, but his ball control often lets him down when he tries to get the ball to the line, he's better when he's cutting back inside but runs the ball out quite often. If Smyth has better control, he can probably be used in this way.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

4-5 Wouldn't be excessive. It's literally what wingers across the land do 5-10 times a game... Someone like JBG or Lookman managed it fine. The only difference is stature, Alfie is a bit gangly and seems a little weak shoulder to shoulder.

Maybe some flexibility with some loaded resistance training would do him well? (He may already be working towards this) He might lose a yard of pace, but that may benefit him a little as he often overstrides onto his forward knocks and he'd still have a yard more than most... 

Also Celtic still won't leave him alone: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/26/absolutely-brilliant-too-good-for-us-celtics-reported-january-target-shines-again/
    They are so full of shit it's unbelievable, so many things wrong with that
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:

Agree. If Bowyer wanted  a replacement for Alfie tactically, then Paul Smyth is the logical choice.

Maybe he wouldn't be as strong in the air as obviously he's not as big as Alfie, but he's pretty rapid and could play the same wide role (not as wingback though). I keep thinking back to our 2nd goal at Northampton - no reason why Smith wide couldn't be found by an Amos drop kick on the counter, sprint to the line and lay the ball back across the box.

• Options
    This may be in hope more than anything, but has
    anything been reported by the club as to the extent
    of injury?.
    So far all I have seen is the instagram post, and
    everyone on CL with their diagnosis, unless i have
    missed something official.
    WIOTOS
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

What is up with Scotland...do they do nothing for themselves.   Tell 'em to grow their own.
    Do Rangers and Celtic have an academy? As the last couple of years they seem to have done nothing but grab up and coming youth for low prices from lower English leagues. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The fact Doughty could limp off, albeit painfully, suggests it isn't a Grade 3. 

In terms of Scotland producing players, they did manage to produce no shortage of great ones in the past. There only seems to be a very small number now. It is a valid question why this has dried up. Could it be the big two are more interested in buying and nicking foreign talent?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

What is up with Scotland...do they do nothing for themselves.   Tell 'em to grow their own.
    Celtic in particular, really annoy me. They seem to think they are important. Jog on and get your own players.
  • Options
    The fact Doughty could limp off, albeit painfully, suggests it isn't a Grade 3. 

In terms of Scotland producing players, they did manage to produce no shortage of great ones in the past. There only seems to be a very small number now. It is a valid question why this has dried up. Could it be the big two are more interested in buying and nicking foreign talent?
    Given his reaction I would put it at quite a severe grade2. I'm nailing my flag to the 6-8 weeks post. Just in time to be sold ;)
  • Options
    Alfie will be too good for Scottish football. Better to stay with us in the Champ next season and give promotion a real go. If not let him move on if he wants after that for a fee of course.