Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alfie Doughty is a good example of how hard it is to get the right teenage players on good, long term contracts. 

On his 20th birthday he had just been recalled from Bromley during our biggest injury crisis since the last one.

He had done nothing as a teenager to suggest he was a "special talent" 1 month later Fulham and others were sniffing around.

What do you do, give a contract to someone your not sure can make if?

Like Grant the opportunity to give the right contract, that both parties would have been happy with was very small. 

It's not like Aribo, where it was 18 months long. 
    RD and KM gave out some long term contracts to young players, remember Kennedy getting 2.5 year deal...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/70207/kennedy-and-staunton-pen-new-deals

It looked a good decision at the time, and his wages would have been relatively low, but he's a player that got nowhere near breaking into the first team.
  • Options
    Out for some time according to his Insta. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Looks like he's out for a while according to his Instagram

• Options
    When I saw him go off I said to my son he’ll be out for 3 weeks, time will tell.
  • Options
    Oh fuck it
  • Options
    Hammy gone I reckon, about six weeks out
  • Options
    “Some time” to me suggests months rather than weeks
    Now that would be a kick in the nuts.
  • Options
    It's a shame and we'll miss him, but I'm confident we'll be ok without him. Hopefully Maddison is ready to go 
  • Options
    Get well soon Alfie

Hopefully see you just after the transfer window opens
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did he go off straight away?  And did he walk off himself?  If so then it won’t be a tear, which is 3/4 months, because you’re getting carried off, must just be a pull, out for “some time” could be 4/5 weeks.
  • Options
    Did he go off straight away?  And did he walk off himself?  If so then it won’t be a tear, which is 3/4 months, because you’re getting carried off, must just be a pull, out for “some time” could be 4/5 weeks.
    Went off straight away but hobbled off himself 
  • Options
    It did strike me that Alfie has played a lot this season. While other players have been rested for some games, either on the bench or completely, he's played full 90s just about every game
  • Options
    Huge shame for both him and the club. Hoping it’s this side of Christmas rather than into the new year. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Went off straight away but hobbled off himself 
    Oh right, well dunno if it’s much comparison, but I’ve done mine a couple times, both had to be carried off as I couldn’t walk, and was out for 5/6 weeks.  Like I said it can’t be torn if he hobbled off, so surely weeks rather than months.  
  • Options
    Does this mean we could be back in for the lad from Borehamwood?
  • Options
    Does this mean we could be back in for the lad from Borehamwood?
    Can't until Jan earliest
  • Options
    Now we know why we signed Matthews today.

GWS, Alfie.
  • Options
    Just hope when he comes back he'll still have that same pace
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Ah, what a shame - he is quickly becoming one of our key players. His ability to dribble at pace is pretty incredible, and puts the frighteners on any defender.

The sort of player who by just being on the pitch makes space for other players as the opposition will be so afraid of his pace. 

That all being said, even though they are different sorts of players, with the likes of Gilbey, Maddison to come back in - plus tinkering with the formation to have Maatsen playing further up - I think Alfie may find it hard to break back into the team.

Isint it great to have good viable options. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Just to clarify a minor tear is categorised as a grade 2 strain. A compete tear is grade 3.

Having had a grade 2 that I rushed back from, it'll be that as a minimum. It was suggested 6 weeks managed return to training for the strain. But I wasn't a sprinter putting it under explosive load.

6-8 weeks I reckon given the professionals he has available to him.
  • Options
    We'll probably see now whether having Doughty fit really does give Bowyer a formation headache or not at least
  • Options
    Oh bolox  :(
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm confused why people think us signing Matthews relates to us signing Doughty?

Doughty (although left-footed) has been playing forward on the right. Some have suggested Matthews could play RWB with Gunter as right centre back in a three. We actually are quite well-served by left-footed players in the squad but fewer capable of putting a good ball in from the right.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alfie Doughty is a good example of how hard it is to get the right teenage players on good, long term contracts. 

On his 20th birthday he had just been recalled from Bromley during our biggest injury crisis since the last one.

He had done nothing as a teenager to suggest he was a "special talent" 1 month later Fulham and others were sniffing around.

Like Grant the opportunity to give the right contract, that both parties would have been happy with was very small. 

RD and KM gave out some long term contracts to young players, remember Kennedy getting 2.5 year deal...

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/70207/kennedy-and-staunton-pen-new-deals

It looked a good decision at the time, and his wages would have been relatively low, but he's a player that got nowhere near breaking into the first team.
    The wages were not low...
  • Options
    Thought so. Looked awful on the stream.

Get better quick Alf.
  • Options
    Yep expected that. Disappointing. Hope he recovers quick but will possibly be turn of the year. No obvious replacement with his pace. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The wages were not low...
    How do you know that? And what would you call not low?